New Boiler Cost?

ajax_andy

Anyone know somewhere that does new boilers for cheap?

ours looks like its finally died and the plumber is quoting us £1,800.

That doesn't seem to unreasonable tbh, but as I dont have even close to that amount I was wondering if anyone had used anyone who is cheaper?

That doesn't seem to unreasonable tbh, but as I dont have even close to that amount I was wondering if anyone had used anyone who is cheaper?

Got ours done last year and I think it was either £1500 or £1700 so the price you have isnt bad. However I do recall last week that there was either an advert on the radio or on a van, newcastle based, offering boilers fitted for £995.

I'll see if I can find it for you, however there may have been small print etc.

Got ours done last year and I think it was either £1500 or £1700 so the price you have isnt bad. However I do recall last week that there was either an advert on the radio or on a van, newcastle based, offering boilers fitted for £995.

£995 to £1700?

That's quite a span.

d-oh.jpg

http://www.eco-energy-northeast.co.uk/inde...ntact%20us.html

This one says 995 but not sure if its the on i saw / heard...

http://www.eco-energy-northeast.co.uk/inde...ntact%20us.html

This one says 995 but not sure if its the on i saw / heard...

Nice one, thanks for that!

£995 to £1700?

That's quite a span.

d-oh.jpg

You were saying...... :)

Guest alex

Beware of getting the cheapest one Andy. Get a few quotes and, if possible, ask for references etc. I know a couple of plumbers who are good lads and reliable but I don't really want to get involved since I don't know you from Adam. Firms quoting the cheapest prices can often be cowboys. Not saying these lot are like but £1800 for a good job is cheap compared to a grand for botched job.

Beware of getting the cheapest one Andy. Get a few quotes and, if possible, ask for references etc. I know a couple of plumbers who are good lads and reliable but I don't really want to get involved since I don't know you from Adam. Firms quoting the cheapest prices can often be cowboys. Not saying these lot are like but £1800 for a good job is cheap compared to a grand for botched job.

yeah thats a good point tbh.

Would like to use the plumber who quoted me £1,600 (not £1,800 as I originally put as mis typed), as I know he's honest as the day is long, and a damn good plumber as have used him a few times before.

Its just that I dont have the cash to pay him that much.

Although my ingenious plan now is to re-mortgage the house, pay off the loan we got to build an extension, and borrow enough to get the boiler replaced. Hopefully that'll be possible as it'll make life a lot easier, and kills 2 birds with one stone.

My boiler's broke this morning.

I'm reeking

:lol:

You got British Gas homecare or owt? It's canny pricey, but the peace of mind from knowing that there'll be someone out to fix it the next day is worth it imo. Having no hot water/heating is shite!

My boiler's broke this morning.

I'm reeking

:lol:

You got British Gas homecare or owt? It's canny pricey, but the peace of mind from knowing that there'll be someone out to fix it the next day is worth it imo. Having no hot water/heating is shite!

Nah. Too pricey for me. At the mother in laws now. Just round the corner so its not a great inconvenience to use her shower for a few days. Her dad's a heating engineer too so it wont cost owt to sort.

• 11 years later...

My boiler's been playing up for a few days (not a euphemism despite what doing a word search here reveals about how there's a lot of Sid the Sexists) so I called an engineer out. 

They need to strip it down and clean and possibly replace the heat exchanger so I'm without heating and hot water until its done. 

Anyone had any experience of this and know if writing the boiler off is likely? 

We got a new boiler just over a year ago after the old one was fixed twice, then the third replaced a part by the same bloke. Eventually got a new one when the same fault would reoccur after a few weeks. It was an older boiler and had been moved into an extension and taken a few knocks so decided to bite the bullet and get a new one. Even when the old one was playing up you could manually top it up so it wasn't totally fucked. I know this is no help to you but many years ago in the old house an old boiler needed a new PCB board so we were fucked till it was replaced. You might be better off getting a new one as the cleaning thing you say sounds superfluous, it's either fucked or it isn't and if it's just a part and you're happy with the boiler just replace the part. You'll know yourself if it's worth replacing the part or the boiler. :good:

• Like 2