Billionaire Ashley £378m richer

Billionaire Ashley sees personal wealth grow by £378m

NEWCASTLE United owner Mike Ashley has become the North-East’s only billionaire, according to the latest Sunday Times Rich List.

The 46-year-old divorcee’s personal wealth grew by £378m to £1,268m last year, the highly-respected guide to the super-wealthy claims, making him the richest person in the North-East by £830m.

Ashley, who paid £134m for the Magpies in 2007, has benefited from the recovery of his Sports Direct chain, with his personal stake now worth £812m.

Ashley is the country’s 52nd richest person, up from 65th last year.

Newcastle-based department store owners Mark Fenwick and family held onto second place for the North-East, with their fortune growing by £18m to £438m.

Darlington-based entrepreneur, Dragons’ Den star and Northern Echo guest editor Duncan Bannatyne’s personal wealth grew by more than a third to £430m last year, handing him third place for the region, 186th nationally.

The Duke of Northumberland, cables and property tycoons Alastair and Michael Powell, Middlesbrough FC chairman Steve Gibson and property guru Stuart Monk and his family all increased their wealth to finish in the region’s top ten.

The Duke is worth £315m, the Powells £214m, Mr Gibson, who made his money in haulage, has a personal fortune of £135m, and the Monk family is worth £131m.

The former frontman of rock band The Police, Sting, is said to be worth £180m, placing him 381st nationally, while software tycoon Graham Wylie is 393rd, with £175m.

Sir Peter Vardy and family, who built their fortune through car sales, are worth £150m.

The 23rd annual Sunday Times Rich List, the definitive guide to wealth in Britain and Ireland, lists the 1,000 richest people and families in the land. It is based on identifiable wealth such as land, property, art, racehorses and shares and excludes bank accounts, to which researchers had no access.

He became £35m richer in one day at the end of January. Reckon he'll still spend less than £10m (net) in the summer.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can only be good news, even though its just paper value and not cash in the bank.

Be interesting to see if any offers are forthcoming now that we are safe, have stabalised and are moving into profit.

There were rumours in the media that an offer could be forth coming once we were safe.

Can only be good news, even though its just paper value and not cash in the bank.

Be interesting to see if any offers are forthcoming now that we are safe, have stabalised and are moving into profit.

There were rumours in the media that an offer could be forth coming once we were safe.

You'd think so wouldnt you?

I'd imagine theres a few consortia considering it. I mean come on, we are Newcastle United.

He’s not from the NE and he lives in Buckinghamshire. Stupid Hacks.

He's from Buckinghamshire but he lives in Derbyshire.

Ashley can then charge a premium for the club tho which no1 will pay. If he couldn't sell when we were on our arse i can't see any one buying us now for probably twice the price

You'd think so wouldnt you?

I'd imagine theres a few consortia considering it. I mean come on, we are Newcastle United.

We're Newcastle Indebted as well, which is a bit of a stumbling block.

Guest alex

Tbh, when you looked at what's happened since he took over it's impossible to read his intentions. I could imagine waking up tomorrow to hear we've been sold and I could just as easily imagine him owning us 5+ years down the line.

Edited by alex

Tbh, when you looked at what's happened since he took over it's impossible to read his intentions. I could imagine waking up tomorrow to hear we've been sold and I could just as easily imagine him owning us 5+ years down the line.

Much the way I imagine it, however, he got involved for fun and I cant see mid table mediocrity keeping him entertained which either points to really trying to build something exciting or selling up.

Much the way I imagine it, however, he got involved for fun and I cant see mid table mediocrity keeping him entertained which either points to really trying to build something exciting or selling up.

Hmmmm, which way could it go. :icon_lol:

CT I've never understood where your optimism comes from? don't get me wrong, i think its great, but when you look at the facts in the cold light of day you must realise that Ashley isn't going to create a europen great here. The guy is a billionaire, he has no affiliation with the club or the north east and he bought it on a whim (as he says, to have fun) I can guarantee he's not having fun anymore. You on the other hand, are from the North East and you love the club, the idea of having all that money and not spending it on something you love doesnt compute with you, thats not a bad thing but its simply not going to happen

So why would he keep pumping money into a club when he knows that a large chunk of the fanbase dislike him, he wont, what he will do is keep the club afloat and make money from player sells/image rights/tax relief against other business's or someone buys us. Even money he puts into the club he will claw back eventually

Guest alex

Hanging onto the club and keeping it ticket over for several years, until the world economy picks up to the extent that there are people out there that are willing to pay what he wants for it, is a much more likely plan than anything 'exciting' from an Ashley viewpoint. Although relegation battles are exciting I suppose.

Edited by alex

Well you could well be right, but putting in underground heating at the training ground seems a tad odd if he's just after a quick sale.

Guest alex

Well you could well be right, but putting in underground heating at the training ground seems a tad odd if he's just after a quick sale.

Don't think a decision like that (which is a good one) means much either way. Relatively cheap to install. Imagine how much it costs to take the squad to La Manga or similar a few times. Anyway, it makes no difference whether he's looking for a quick sale or not since the possibilty of it is completely reliant on there being a buyer.

CT I've never understood where your optimism comes from? don't get me wrong, i think its great, but when you look at the facts in the cold light of day you must realise that Ashley isn't going to create a europen great here. The guy is a billionaire, he has no affiliation with the club or the north east and he bought it on a whim (as he says, to have fun) I can guarantee he's not having fun anymore. You on the other hand, are from the North East and you love the club, the idea of having all that money and not spending it on something you love doesnt compute with you, thats not a bad thing but its simply not going to happen

So why would he keep pumping money into a club when he knows that a large chunk of the fanbase dislike him, he wont, what he will do is keep the club afloat and make money from player sells/image rights/tax relief against other business's or someone buys us. Even money he puts into the club he will claw back eventually

You could well be right, but the FACTS are, as yet, he hasnt taken one penny out of the club.

My point wasnt really about optimism, it was trying to guess his next move.

He either wants to prove every fucker wrong and bring success his way or he wants to sell. Just cant see him hanging around for mediocre / no fun times.

*** And its worth bearing in mind that this is a bloke who has just made an extra £378 million in one year. I dont think hanging around Newcastle in the hope of syphoning off a few million here and there is on his agenda tbf.

He's protecting his investment. It's all he is ever doing. Any action he takes is in theory for the good of the business, as a business. He'd sell tomorrow if he could find a buyer but I doubt he will. Much is said about SJH only putting in his initial investment and getting back much more, well Ashley may be putting in but he'll expect every penny back. He's not fucking things up on purpose, those are genuine mistakes. It's just that he keeps on making them .... but his main interest is his investment and he needs the club stable to do that.

All imo of course...

He's protecting his investment. It's all he is ever doing. Any action he takes is in theory for the good of the business, as a business. He'd sell tomorrow if he could find a buyer but I doubt he will. Much is said about SJH only putting in his initial investment and getting back much more, well Ashley may be putting in but he'll expect every penny back. He's not fucking things up on purpose, those are genuine mistakes. It's just that he keeps on making them .... but his main interest is his investment and he needs the club stable to do that.

All imo of course...

All sounds about right to me.

ashley wont be spending big on transfers ie 15mill for the likes of shit owen hell no. ashley will buy cheap and thats all so it doesnt damage his precious sports dicrap

ashley wont be spending big on transfers ie 15mill for the likes of shit owen hell no. ashley will buy cheap and thats all so it doesnt damage his precious sports dicrap

Depends what you call buying cheap.

Buying you cheap can get you Perch or Tiote.