One for Stevie

Tooj

Still the best player I've ever seen with my own eyes....I'd say Zidane was better from his peer group at the time, but you can keep the rest...That goal he got for Spurs at Luton where he took it between the centre halfs....you'd never see Bergkamp or Scholes even attempt that, its just sheer off the cuff brilliance.He had the "footballing imagination" to try things like that and the ability to make them work. Him and Sir Bobby changed football in this country forever in the summer of 1990.

He was at AFC Bournemouth v Rochdale yesterday, signing autographs and getting his picture taken with fans. He's at a clinic down here and it looks like his problems are under control for the moment. Good luck Gazza :icon_lol:

:blush:

Absolutely class video, only very slightly tainted by Airwolf music being incorporated.

I've always said Peter Beardsley was the greatest player to play for Newcastle, certainly in my life time he was. Gazza though was equally as talented, and I know it's been said 1000 times, but he could've been an all time great with a select few of 8 or 9 names like George Best, Cruyff and Maradona. He was that good. Loved watching that video cos it's got stuff on it I've never seen before.

It's daft in your early 30's having heroes, but Peter and Gazza were and still are heroes of mine. Forget about his off the pitch self inflicted pish, I hope this thread is a celebration of his genius cos that's what he is. When they both left for Liverpool and Tottenham, I used to get excited when they scored I loved them that much. Clip 3:58 that game he scored three against Derby his first hattrick for Tottenham. The toon had been at home, and I heard someone on the bus home saying Gazza scored three, and I was so happy. I rang 192, and rang the yid reception number, "did Gazza get 3?!?!?!" "yes he did" " :icon_lol: ".

Watch how well balanced he was, and his weight used to go up and down all of the time, cos he used to eat junk food and get pissed quite often. Imagine what he'd be like now under someone like Arsene Wenger, he was deceptively quick, strong as an ox, could turn either way. He was just absolutely class. Am gutted for him he never won anything other 1991, you can't count Scottish trophies as winning things, and maybe if Keegan had've signed him in 95 things might've been different for the rest of his life, and different for us, such were the margins involved in not capturing the title.

The best thing about Gazza (apart from his amazing ability), was how assured he was of it on the pitch. He never once hid, always showed for the ball.

In comparison to someone like Gerrard, while playing for England, the difference between them both is massive.

Technique wise, in central midfield, I'd class Scholes as the only player we've produced anywhere near his standard. Wilshere could be up there, but it's still early days for him.

Something else I love about Gazza which you hardly EVER see these days, he never ever dived, or milked a knock. He used to get kicked all over, really badly hurt, he'd get up and shake hands. That bastard Brehme, should've been sent off for a tackle on him in the WC Semi Final, shocking tackle from behind, Gazza had just had his yellow card, he got up quick as a flash and shook his hand. He was quite hard as well, but rarely dirty, other than that cup final.

We sell our best players and we end up a worse side. This has happened for years, and Gazza was one of them. I'd love us to reject the bids we get in and build a side, imagine Beardsley, Waddle and Gazza in the same side at their peak with a few decent players in it? I'd think that team would've done alright, like.

Whenever I think of Gazza and those times I think of this;

:icon_lol:

Something else I love about Gazza which you hardly EVER see these days, he never ever dived, or milked a knock. He used to get kicked all over, really badly hurt, he'd get up and shake hands. That bastard Brehme, should've been sent off for a tackle on him in the WC Semi Final, shocking tackle from behind, Gazza had just had his yellow card, he got up quick as a flash and shook his hand. He was quite hard as well, but rarely dirty, other than that cup final.

Was gonna say that. Look at him in the box esp. How many players today would stay up like he did?

Especially in the Spurs clips, it's noticeable the number of opposition fans applauding his skills.

There's a clip in that 8:46-8:47 he's just scored a massive goal against Juventus, who were class at the time you think the whole team would be buzzing, watch Casiraghi's reaction he's like aye do one :icon_lol: have a look, doesn't even celebrate.

After he scored that backwards header in the derby at Lazio, the club president bought him a crate of Brown Ale, or something like that. Read that in the literary masterpiece that is 'GAZZA: MY STORY LIKE PET'. He filled a mince pie with catshit and fed it to Jimmy Five-Bellies once also.

After he scored that backwards header in the derby at Lazio, the club president bought him a crate of Brown Ale, or something like that. Read that in the literary masterpiece that is 'GAZZA: MY STORY LIKE PET'. He filled a mince pie with catshit and fed it to Jimmy Five-Bellies once also.

Aye but it was better than that, he filled two mince pies with cat shit. Jimmy ate the first one, and Gazza went yee have the other one if ye like am not hungry, "awwwh champion" and scoffed it doon.

I liked the story of him coming down to breakfast late in New Zealand whilst on duty with England. He gets his breakfast only to realise there's no bacon on it, cue, 'fucking hell! country full of sheep and I can't get nee bacon!' :icon_lol:

I liked the story of him coming down to breakfast late in New Zealand whilst on duty with England. He gets his breakfast only to realise there's no bacon on it, cue, 'fucking hell! country full of sheep and I can't get nee bacon!' :blush:

:icon_lol:

What aboot Tony Cunningham's birthday when he bought him 20 sunbed sessions as a present.

There'll always be a place in my heart for Gazza, no matter how much he self-destructs or ends up.

As Sir Bobby once said, "He's as daft as a brush", and yes he was/is, but on the pitch in his prime, a class act.

Is this true;

"Organisers of Italia 90 TV coverage had the splendid idea of augmenting team line-ups with film of each player mouthing his own name. Gascoigne's genius led him to subvert the process by, instead, mouthing 'F***ing W***ker'. The BBC had to use it all the way through the tournament." :icon_lol:

If so, is there footage

Is this true;

"Organisers of Italia 90 TV coverage had the splendid idea of augmenting team line-ups with film of each player mouthing his own name. Gascoigne's genius led him to subvert the process by, instead, mouthing 'F***ing W***ker'. The BBC had to use it all the way through the tournament." :blush:

If so, is there footage

:icon_lol: and in every game he stuck his tongue out during god save the queen, Sir Bobby went spare.

Can't think of another player who could make you laugh one minute and then take your breath away the next. Never seen a player so happy to be playing either. I always remember that line up at Italia 90 when he stuck his tongue out and got done for it. Next game he just licked his lips a tiny bit. Genius.

Is this true;

"Organisers of Italia 90 TV coverage had the splendid idea of augmenting team line-ups with film of each player mouthing his own name. Gascoigne's genius led him to subvert the process by, instead, mouthing 'F***ing W***ker'. The BBC had to use it all the way through the tournament." :blush:

If so, is there footage

:icon_lol: and in every game he stuck his tongue out during god save the queen, Sir Bobby went spare.

Apart from the semi final iirc due to media hoo haa.

I remember screaming at the TV "stick it out" or something like that as it had become our rabbits foot.

Can't think of another player who could make you laugh one minute and then take your breath away the next. Never seen a player so happy to be playing either. I always remember that line up at Italia 90 when he stuck his tongue out and got done for it. Next game he just licked his lips a tiny bit. Genius.

Aye :icon_lol: was against Germany :blush: his tongue came a quarter out. Remember that scene in PORTUGAL, where his trainer was asleep naked in bed and Gazza chucked the water over him :rolleyes:

The noise the bloke makes proper creases me up :)

Aye :icon_lol: was against Germany :blush: his tongue came a quarter out. Remember that scene in PORTUGAL, where his trainer was asleep naked in bed and Gazza chucked the water over him :rolleyes:

The noise the bloke makes proper creases me up :)

:puke::):puke:

They're not even words. :)