Vera --- ITV Sundays 9pm

Christmas Tree

New series that started on Sunday and is basically a cop who dunnit 2 hour job based in Newcastle.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1693592/

Stars good old Brenda Blethyn as the eccentric Local chief copper who likes a tipple.

Good enough twists to keep you watching, but more importantly lots of local back drops to feast your eyes on.

New series that started on Sunday and is basically a cop who dunnit 2 hour job based in Newcastle.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1693592/

Stars good old Brenda Blethyn as the eccentric Local chief copper who likes a tipple.

Good enough twists to keep you watching, but more importantly lots of local back drops to feast your eyes on.

My mate plays the main male character, he's called David Leon, he's from Gosforth, had a small part in Rocknrolla and a few other bit part roles after a stint in kids tv presenting for a few years. He's just had a short film he co-directed win an award in the Tribeca film festival run by De Niro.

Guest alex

I started watching this due to the NE location and I don't know whether it was because I'd be re-watching The Wire as wor lass hasn't seen it but I thought it was absolutely fucking dreadful and turned off after about 25 mins. Some of the acting man. They must have blown the budget on Blethyn.

Guest alex
Aye it's not going to win any Emmys.

Thought it was a shame like as some of the locations showed what a beautiful part of the world we live in. The coastline, down the Quayside etc. Just reminded me of that attempt at a Geordie soap btw - 'Quayside'. Oh my God! :lol:

Best bit about a tv show in the area is when they run round a corner at the Monument and come round a totally different corner on the quayside.

:lol:

Spender was the market leader in that

Guest alex
There was a lovely ruined castle featured, not sure which one it was.?

(now that I've said that it will be a fuck off big famous one).

If it was at the coast my money would be on Dunstanburgh next to Craster.

There was a lovely ruined castle featured, not sure which one it was.?

(now that I've said that it will be a fuck off big famous one).

Dunstanburgh ?

dunstanburgh_castle_470x353.jpg

Warkworth?

warkworth-castle.jpg

Hylton?

10662024002645-cranleigh-road-hylton-castle-sunderland.jpg

Edited by Monkeys Fist

Best bit about a tv show in the area is when they run round a corner at the Monument and come round a totally different corner on the quayside.

a noticed that. Went from outside that saffron at bottom of Grey Street like opposite rumpolis and that and then cut during same seen to moseley street quickly and then back down again lol

Aye I had a look at that walk online. It was one of the ones on that walk link I listed. I'm sure it's nice but to open sea front for me. Much prefer hilly countryside, riverside or Forrest type walks. I like not knowing what's around the next bend.

Also worth noting that while myself and Alex may not be glowingabout this show, the critics have given it the thumbs up.

I sometimes think we are more critical of a north east accent on TV because we live up here. I'm sure Liverpool fans hate brookside and Manchester fans hate Eastenders.

Tbh, most ITV dramas leave me cold and I actually wanted to like this. And I said acting, not accent :(

I think the two go a bit hand in hand. If the grieving woman had been played by a whining cockney she would possible have come across differently to you.

As it happens, the grieving woman is a very decent actress who has appeared in more stuff than your average bear.

Maybe you should give the hour and 35 minutes that you missed a go.

ITV can’t seem to help delivering cracking drama as of late, with Downton Abbey, Marchlands, and The Suspicions of Mr Whicher wowing viewers and critics alike. After tonight’s episode, I’m pleased to add Vera to this acclaimed list.

There some great acting and casting, all helped along the way by a well thought out story which kept me guessing throughout.

wasn't there a scene in Get Carter where they were running through West Road Crem then a moment later were up at Whitley Bay/Cullercoats runing along the beach ?

[ I know it was West Road Crem because the vans were all over the place in the street]

Aye I had a look at that walk online. It was one of the ones on that walk link I listed. I'm sure it's nice but to open sea front for me. Much prefer hilly countryside, riverside or Forrest type walks. I like not knowing what's around the next bend.

You being here yet?

Guest alex
Tbh, most ITV dramas leave me cold and I actually wanted to like this. And I said acting, not accent :(

I think the two go a bit hand in hand. If the grieving woman had been played by a whining cockney she would possible have come across differently to you.

As it happens, the grieving woman is a very decent actress who has appeared in more stuff than your average bear.

Maybe you should give the hour and 35 minutes that you missed a go.

ITV can’t seem to help delivering cracking drama as of late, with Downton Abbey, Marchlands, and The Suspicions of Mr Whicher wowing viewers and critics alike. After tonight’s episode, I’m pleased to add Vera to this acclaimed list.

There some great acting and casting, all helped along the way by a well thought out story which kept me guessing throughout.

You were largely agreeing with me, then you've googled 'Vera ITV Reviews' or such like and then quoted a postive review from a site I've never heard of. I'd rather trust my own opinion tbh.

Btw, I recognised the Mam of the kid who died. She is a decent actress. She's a mackem and she was on the Lenny Henry show about 20 years ago.

Edited by alex

You being here yet?

Would love t do something like that. Maybe when I'm older and the Bairns are doing their own thing and the lottery comes in.

But seeing far off country's on some lovely (posh) old train sounds like heaven.

Aye Alex, in hindsight I thought your 25 minute and off review was a touch too much and just wanted to stick up for it a little. No Emmys, but definitely canny enough 2 hour Sunday night fodder with the added benefit of seeing me whizz by in my Taxi or fist dangling from a bridge etc etc.

You being here yet?

Would love t do something like that. Maybe when I'm older and the Bairns are doing their own thing and the lottery comes in.

But seeing far off country's on some lovely (posh) old train sounds like heaven.

*countries