Alan Pardew - 20 games in

So Alan Pardew has reached the 20 game landmark with Newcastle United. As the manager is reported as being pleased with progress, TOTT reviews his performance so far.

Just to recap, Hughton was sacked as the club announced that they felt the need for a manager with experience to take the club to the next level. Out went the manager who broke several records, in came Pardew whose managerial career spans 13 years, now at his 5th club.

Having hit the scene as a caretaker at Reading, he achieved a 3rd division play off place in his 2nd season, automatic promotion followed the next year. Reading obviously suited him, with an ambitious owner putting plenty of his own cash into the club. This led to a 2nd play off, this time a league higher, but still Pardew left in acrimonious circumstances to move to a bigger, richer club.

So on to West Ham, where the first season saw another play off defeat. His 2nd season saw a turbulent relationship with hammers` fans before sneaking into 6th place, winning another play off to join Sunderland and Wigan in promotion. This West Ham team was bristling with talent as would be expected from probably the best resourced club in the division at the time, notably with Teddy Sheringham leading the line.

That promotion led to Pardew`s only complete season in the Premier League, finishing 9th winning the last 2 games after a run of only 1 win in 10. His luck was not to last as in the next year he took the team into the bottom 3, sacked before Christmas despite having spent on expensive acquisitions. Alan Curbishley took over for the rest of the season to rescue them as Pardew headed for Charlton and relegation.

A further sacking followed as he took Charlton to the bottom of the Championship, taking over at another well resourced club in the 3rd tier, Southampton, finishing in the top half of the table before once again being sacked.

So on to Newcastle, and his first match ended with an emphatic win over Liverpool, for which statistics give him the credit despite being in charge for 24 hours or so. The win bore all the hallmarks of a Hughton side, from the set piece knock down to the defensive positioning that led to a goal line clearance.

Nevertheless, Pardew started with a win, before reverting to a 4-5-1 formation which had not worked earlier in the season and which had been abandoned by Hughton. Defeats came against Spurs and Man City with a defensive approach, Pardew blaming his young keeper. The new year brought two wins, the first against Wigan away, curiously the last team that he had beaten away in the top flight with Charlton. The 2nd was a five goal demolition of his ex, West Ham, which also brought his honeymoon period to an end.

First 5 games

P5 W3 D0 L2 F10 A6

An FA Cup defeat at Stevenage was reminiscent of a similar humiliation at West Ham, against Chesterfield. On a narrow pitch he narrowed it even further with the selection of players on the wrong flanks. Similar tactical naivety ceded winning positions in the league. Against Sunderland the goal came from the flank abandoned with a late substitution, against Spurs Redknapp switching goalscorer Lennon to the left wing following Pardew`s defensive reshuffle.

Carroll was sold, the aftermath starting with a trip to Fulham. Ameobi was ruled out for a spell with a cheek injury, the pitch being blamed for a solitary goal defeat. Excitement returned with the 4-4 draw against Arsenal, Pardew taking credit for his half time rant having blamed the players for the 4 goals conceded in the first half. It had already emerged that the manager himself takes responsibility for defensive coaching.

Games 6-10

P5 W0 D3 L2 F7 A10

Next up was a draw at Blackburn in a match dominated by the Mags but with no cutting edge. The strikers got the blame for this one, making the wrong decisions and not working the goalkeeper harder. He did praise himself though, after the clean sheet, for tightening up the defence.

A visit to Birmingham, themselves with an eye on the League Cup final saw the points return to St James`, with Bolton at home following on. Despite taking the lead, honours were shared, according to Pardew due to an antagonistic referee. Everton at home was a defeat with some more bizarre tactics, Simpson playing in 3 different positions. Stoke away saw yet another reshuffle, with 3 central defenders being the way to cope with an aerial threat. Tactically this was genius, but the players let in 4 goals for an emphatic loss.

Games 11-15

P5 W1 D2 L2 F4 A7

A reversion to 4-4-2 against Wolves at home showed the potential in the squad with a 4-1 win, Pardew recognizing Shola`s qualities and likening him to Carlos Tevez and Teddy Sheringham. A trip to their Midland neighbours, Villa was less rewarding although a battling draw at home to Manchester United showed promise

The draw at Blackpool was lackluster, giving the opposition their 6th point out of 42, the loss at Liverpool proving Pardew prophetic in suggesting that televising this game was designed to cause embarrassment. It certainly did.

Games 16-20

P5 W1 D2 L2 F5 A6

A quick look at his transfer record shows that he has backed the board in achieving a record surplus, in the sale of Andy Carroll. Pardew should be congratulated on his ability to draw significant assurances from his Chairman, firstly that Andy Carroll would not be sold, not under any circumstances, not at any price. The second is that he will be able to invest the Carroll cash.

Incoming saw the arrival of Stephen Ireland, with plenty of suggestions that the way the manager sees the future is a 4-4-1-1. Ireland has of course returned having made two fleeting substitute appearances, although Pardew has spoken of Ben Arfa taking the same role.

On his arrival, the new manager also identified the long term strategy of bringing through younger players. This has been evidenced by a handful of substitute appearances for Ferguson and Ranger.

Pardew has been media friendly, the press given the opportunity to put a positive spin on mediocre results. The facts remain that in 20 games, his win percentage is 25%, below 30% of Richard Dinnis, the lowest of any permanent manager in Newcastle`s top flight history. 13.3% in the last 15 games is similar to the last 15 of Dinnis`s before being sacked.

A tribute should always look at a person`s qualities and strengths. He is the most verbose manager in Newcastle history. In looking for a manager to take us to the next level, Llambias and Ashley have chosen the right man for the job, and judging by his record at Charlton, the level below that too. When we get there, Pardew`s 3rd division history at Reading and Southampton is one to be admired.

Total record:

P20 W5 D7 late F26 A29

From http://www.newcastle.vitalfootball.co.uk/a...2#ixzz1LI3AKDGH

We have been inconsistent and the lack of options upfront have contributed massively at no fault of his own. FMA taking a gamble and tbf it has paid off.

Judge him next season.

he's generally done better than i thought he would. but then i thought with him in charge and no front line striker, we'd struggle much more than we have. still makes the decision to get rid of hughton look ever more ludicrous. there's nowt from pardew so far to suggest that he can do any better than his predecessor.

I've not been very impressed by him. That article leaves out his West Ham FA Cup final though; they came very close to winning it.

Carroll sold, while he not bringing in a replacement is shite management. Did he really think Shola, Best & Lovenkrands would cut it? We've been very lucky that the league this year is so bad.

I'll be shocked if we don't see a swap deal for Konchesky this summer, and fuck all of the £35m spent.

Still makes the decision to get rid of Hughton look ever more ludicrous. There's nowt from pardew so far to suggest that he can do any better than his predecessor.

Harsh or not ,this is what I think of Rapey. And that's just on the football side of things.

As a man.......... :icon_lol:

I've not been very impressed by him. That article leaves out his West Ham FA Cup final though; they came very close to winning it.

Carroll sold, while he not bringing in a replacement is shite management. Did he really think Shola, Best & Lovenkrands would cut it? We've been very lucky that the league this year is so bad.I'll be shocked if we don't see a swap deal for Konchesky this summer, and fuck all of the £35m spent.

Fuckin get a grip man.

FMA and DL are in charge, i've no doubt AP wanted to bring someone in before AC left and even more so after but FMA was set on taking the gamble with the team.

A gamble which has paid off. In no way is that AP's fault.

Had Best stayed fit he would of kept scoring.

Edited by Tioté's Nutz

Guest alex

Carroll sold, while he not bringing in a replacement is shite management. Did he really think Shola, Best & Lovenkrands would cut it? We've been very lucky that the league this year is so bad.I'll be shocked if we don't see a swap deal for Konchesky this summer, and fuck all of the £35m spent.

Fuckin get a grip man.

FMA and DL are in charge, i've no doubt AP wanted to bring someone in before AC left and even more so after but FMA set on taking the gamble with the team.

While I think you're right in a way it's worrying that he wasn't able to use a bit of leverage with the owner and chairman (if Pardew doesn't have a decent relationship with them, no one will) in order to get someone like Sturridge in as soon as it looked like Carroll was away. I'd also question why he thought letting Routledge go was a good idea (given the lack of options we had upfront/out wide) and why bringing in Ireland was such a priority of his since he more or less plays in Nolan's position.

I'm probably asking a question that has already been answered but does anyone else think Hughton's demise had more to do with him refusing to be quiet when the club had every intention to sell Carroll, than Pardew's ability?

Fuckin get a grip man.

FMA and DL are in charge, i've no doubt AP wanted to bring someone in before AC left and even more so after but FMA set on taking the gamble with the team.

While I think you're right in a way it's worrying that he wasn't able to use a bit of leverage with the owner and chairman (if Pardew doesn't have a decent relationship with them, no one will) in order to get someone like Sturridge in as soon as it looked like Carroll was away. I'd also question why he thought letting Routledge go was a good idea (given the lack of options we had upfront/out wide) and why bringing in Ireland was such a priority of his since he more or less plays in Nolan's position.

Well this is it alex isnt it?

A manager SHOULD have a bit more weight behind him but i just think we need to get used to this and find the positives and hope it all works out for the best. I think it can and i will remain positive until i see how this summer goes.

To the point on loans, when you look at it, it was a stupid decision to let routledge go but maybe he was kickin up a stink? No good in the dressing room?

How WBA and Bolton got Vela and Sturridge and we didnt is beyond belief though.

Guest alex

Fuckin get a grip man.

Well this is it alex isnt it?

A manager SHOULD have a bit more weight behind him but i just think we need to get used to this and find the positives and hope it all works out for the best. I think it can and i will remain positive until i see how this summer goes.

To the point on loans, when you look at it, it was a stupid decision to let routledge go but maybe he was kickin up a stink? No good in the dressing room?

How WBA and Bolton got Vela and Sturridge and we didnt is beyond belief though.

Seems unlikely that QPR would take Routledge back on loan with a view to signing him permanently if he was a trouble-maker, don't you think?

I haven't heard a single suggestion that would back that up either. Unlike Nile Ranger btw, who was rewarded with a new 5 and a half year deal for being a knacker. But that's another issue and I don't want to ruin your positive vibes :lol:

Guest Your Name Here

Fuckin get a grip man.

FMA and DL are in charge, i've no doubt AP wanted to bring someone in before AC left and even more so after but FMA was set on taking the gamble with the team.

Had Best stayed fit he would of kept scoring.

Then again back in December when he was appointed Pardew was making guarantees he doesn’t seem to have kept.

“The Newcastle fans should know I will be strong enough to knock on the (chairman's) door. That is the most important thing upstairs. That is something I guarantee I will do”

In the same interview he also said

'When I sat down with Derek last night, Andy Carroll came up. His future was one of the items at the top of my agenda. He stays and he needs to stay. He is the No 9 of Newcastle and someone the fans have bought into. I have had reassurances about that - 100 per cent, he is staying here”

Looking back it does seem he was talking out his arse.

Edited by Your Name Here

To be fair to Pardew he probably fully believed what he said at the time. Pity the Fat Cunt has just as much intention of keeping his promises to us as he does our manager.

I'm probably asking a question that has already been answered but does anyone else think Hughton's demise had more to do with him refusing to be quiet when the club had every intention to sell Carroll, than Pardew's ability?

I reckon that had a lot to do with it.

TN, if the manager isn't in charge of team affairs, then what is he in charge of?

I know the owner and his mate are a pair of cunts-but how come Rapey was trying to buy a fucking winger on transfer deadline day as opposed to trying for N'gog, Sturridge, Vela on loan or someone else for a fee? For every shortcoming are we to say "his hands are tied because of the owner"? as you point out the Routledge thing was absurd-forcing him into the tactical shambles at home to Everton and away to Stoke.

Not read the article fully, and I've got plenty more thoughts on him than the following, but regardless to be fair to him (and I suppose Hughton to an extent) I'd like to see how we'd have done with Ben Arfa, Gosling and Ireland playing a substantial amount - and indeed how we'd have done if Carroll had stayed. All of the aforementioned were out of his hands.

Shit record to be fair but we've done what we set out to do, avoid the immediate drop and consolidate our position in the league. The summer holds the key to see whether or not we can go anywhere with him at the helm, from what we've seen so far I'd have to have a few doubts about it.

• 4 years later...

Interesting to look back on this with the hindsight afforded by Pardew's reign. I reckon the original article was scarily prescient. A lot of the criticisms brought up were echoed in the years following 11/12. It's almost like a sub-par manager was given a reprieve by Ba, Cisse, Ben Arfa and Cabaye firing us to 5th.

If we're going full Stevie, I was well skeptical even then. The 5th finish clouded my judgement somewhat but still, first impressions and that.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione