The 80's --- Best music decade ever

Christmas Tree

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For every good song released in the 80's there are an awful lot of terrible ones. I guess you can say the same for any period, but there seem to be more shit songs from the 80s than any other decade.

Given the pride he has in being part of the music scene in this decade I've absolutely no doubt CT will keep dropping into this thread to regale us with tales of crazy nights out clubbing, classic gigs he's been to and so on.

1982 and helping take any thought of the lion king away, must better melody to have stuck in your head than "Wimoweh"

The first time I watched that whole show, I was blown away.

Stunning.

Aye same, bought the blu-ray for about £12 off Play.com about a month ago too, well worth it.

God knows how much stuff David Byrne was on for "Life During Wartime" as well, he goes mental throughout that entire song.

Never listened to any talking heads but after watching more clips of that on youtube I'm off to to town to get the dvd, outstanding stuff.

And yes I would say the majority of the band are off their nut.

Given the pride he has in being part of the music scene in this decade I've absolutely no doubt CT will keep dropping into this thread to regale us with tales of crazy nights out clubbing, classic gigs he's been to and so on.

Clubbing --- Roxannes Shields (twice i think)

Pre 15 --- Heavy metal head banger. Long hair, hippy oil and frayed denim. Gigs Girschool city hall

15 -17 --- Quick daliance with punk however all that spiiting and dead fly dancing......shudders.

17-21 --- Any good tunes for cruising in my Ford Capri. Beach Boys etc.

21 Married with children --- Gigs whitney Houston, steps and similar child influenced tosh.

One gig I wish Id been at, Queen - Newcastle.

:D

Wrong, so wrong. ;)

79 :lol:

tbf you couldn't get much closer to being out of the 80s than Loveshack. Was only a couple of weeks before the end of 1989.

Did somebody mention Ska?...

First single I ever bought, 99p from Woolies, Jan 1980

And you can't not play this....no 1 in the UK for two months in the summer of 1982 when Thatcher's Britain went up in flames....

Going to see them in October :lol:

Difficult to believe that anybody who appreciates music can look beyond both the quality and quantity of music in the sixties. Along with the first half of the 70s or so, the music in this era has never been matched.

Difficult to believe that anybody who appreciates music can look beyond both the quality and quantity of music in the sixties. Along with the first half of the 70s or so, the music in this era has never been matched.

Apart from the first Black Sabbath album which was probably recorded just before the decade end I don't own a single piece of music from the 60s and never will.

I think I've said this before on music threads but people need to get beyond the whole "the only good music just happens to be that from when I was young and before my brain died".

That's not a dig at you BTW but is a dig at CT.

All decades since the 70s have had great music imo.

"Your brain on music" is a great book about why the music from when you were 15-20 was indeed the best music ever.

I was listening to music from the 60s to the 90s then, so love it all.

I concur. I think the full contents of your iPod tells a story more that your own personal view. Mine has a vast collection from the 50s to the present day. It's the individual tracks rather than the era which define your taste. There was some absolute garbage in each decade but equally some absolute magic too.

"Your brain on music" is a great book about why the music from when you were 15-20 was indeed the best music ever.

I was listening to music from the 60s to the 90s then, so love it all.

15-20 I only listened to metal so did diversify later (actually just started to get into other stuff at 19 or 20) - being hypocritical for a moment my favourite time for music was probably the 90s when I was 26-35 but I did mature late (if at all).

Apparently your ears are in their peak condition then.

You can hear your widest range of tones and everyone loses that range.

You've also been exposed to less than you ever will again, so every surprising change of key, and every driving rhythm is as if it's never occurred to anyone before. Ten years later you'll hear Brahms did it, but the classical source means nowt to you by then.