Camcorder Help

Guest alex

I want to get a camcorder but I don't know much about them. I.e. is it worth getting a High-Def one, etc? It doesn't have to be dirt cheap but value for money is what I'm looking for. Also, any advice on some decent, easy-to-use editing software would be good.

Thanks in advance.

We got a Sony a few years ago and having done quite a bit of research at the time, they came out on top.

Their web page gives you a good breakdown between the different styles available.

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/handycam-camcorders

Most come with their own software suites, however it really depends how much you want to get involved in it.

The only thing I will add is this. We've had two camcorders and they spen most of their time in the cupboard. I used to take it on holiday and would then find myself spending more time behind the camera capturing "moments" rather than being in front of the camera enjoying the same moments.

Edited by Christmas Tree

We got a Sony a few years ago and having done quite a bit of research at the time, they came out on top.

Their web page gives you a good breakdown between the different styles available.

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/handycam-camcorders

Most come with their own software suites, however it really depends how much you want to get involved in it.

The only thing I will add is this. We've had two camcorders and they spen most of their time in the cupboard. I used to take it on holiday and would then find myself spending more time behind the camera capturing "moments" rather than being in front of the camera enjoying the same moments.

Cheers. It's not really for hols. I don't get people like the ones you mention and I prefer taking pics for that reason. To go all RobW for a moment my lass and I went on a day long tour of Fraser Island in Queensland when we were there a few years ago and amongst this German couple there was a bloke who must've literally spent 95% of the day using the camcorder. One of the only times he stopped was when he nearly went arse over tit walking down a path. I'm only interested in editing so that I don't have hours of footage that no one wants to trawl through.

I'd recommend using Sony Vegas to edit your footage with.

Although obviously I'm an amateur when it comes to video editing. <_<

Nice one.

you can get a DSLR that will shoot video for around £600 quid (Cannon 550D) which are fairly decent (it's basically the same as a Connon 7D but in a less sturdy casing). If you're into extreme sports you can get an HD Hero for a couple of hundred quid which is shock/water proof and you can attach to a bike helmet or whatever, or go diving with it, got no screen on to watch what you're shooting though so you would need an external monitor...

If you want an actual camcorder that looks like a camcorder, sony or panasonic are a good bet - everything seems to record onto memory cards as well these days so that makes editing a piece of piss.

If you really just want the most basic editing functions you'll probably be fine with IMovie (if you're on mac) or Windows Movie Maker (PC) both of which I think may be free? Or as someone already pointed out a lot of the cameras come bundled with some basic cut and paste editing software.

If you want something a bit more advanced get Adobe Premiere Elements/Final Cut Express/Sony Vegas. Absolutely pointless shelling out X-hundreds of pounds on Avid or Final cut studio for what you require.

Hope that's some help?

We bought this little Sony thing (can't say what the model is cos I'm not home atm), but it's a wee hand-held jobby which looks like a Star Trek phaser (sp). It's the fuckin' bizz, man. I was seriously thinking of getting the new HD version for around £120-ish (I think). I could show you some pics/vids that it's done, but wor lass thinks it makes her look fat :D:blush::icon_lol: pity it doesn't have the same effect with me cock <_<

wor lass thinks it makes her look fat :blush::icon_lol: :icon_lol: pity it doesn't have the same effect with me cock :D

Hips you need to tell her to stop smiling so much and suck harder then <_<

Can I suggest one of these?

canon1014.jpg

Seriously Alex, check out the lens on whatever you buy. Makes sure it has the optical range that you want, other than that it's a matter of how you want to transfer/archive your footage.

Something recorded to a tape/DVD format will mean you possibly keep the camera original, something to a digital format you won't and chances are if you don't use a shot in the edit, you will lose/delete the original file eventually.

But electronic file format video is much easier to work with and takes away the digitisation process necessary (usually real-time) when you go to editing.

As for Sony Vegas, well if you're a 3rd division team and want an average 3rd division striker to score you goals then it's perfect.

I got a Canon IXUS 300 HS a few months back, it’s mainly a high spec point and shoot compact camera that also has HD video, a bit bigger than a a mobile phone.

It suits me as I would never bother carrying 2 cameras or anything bulky.

When you’re buying a camera watch out for battery life, zoom, good low light recording and add in the cost of memory cards. Mega pixel size is often a sales con — get one with a good sensor.

Apologies, I gave you a bum steer. It's a Sanyo Xacti we've got. If you want something fancy, then this aint it. But pocket-sized, easy to use, 8 gig (maybe bigger, I haven't tried) HCSD card will fit. It's the bizz.

If you're going to spend a fair amount you might as well get HD. The problems with it are less problematic all the time. I got mine a few years ago and it was a right carry on. Top quality footage takes up a lot of space and needs a good bit of kit to edit. I had neither and ended up converting a lot of .mt2s to MPEG/AVI/WMV to manipulate it, which defeats the object.

Now you can get a 1TB drive for under £50 though and most PCs can cope with the larger files there's no reason not to go for HD.

I've been away for 3 week holidays and not needed any extra storage than the 40GB in my camera. As long as you regularly transfer stuff to your PC it's not a problem.

Can't edit HD in Windows Movie Maker though.

Like Johnny I use Vegas.

Best bet when choosing a model is to lisen to the experts....

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/browse/rating/camcorders/n-6jc/

Panasonic HDC-HS700 seems to be the daddy nowadays.