Bruce gone?

tbf its not done Sir Alex any harm

*allegedly

was my first thought too

there are plenty of high functioning alcoholics in high stress positions, so not sure I agree on this one, chez

isn't Alex Ferguson teetotal now ? Read his book but can't remember. He def has no time for his players drinking, always has.

It clearly took its toll on Brian Clough in his last few years.

I thought he was a bit of a wine connoisseur these days.

From a recent Guardian article

Alan Pardew has been out shopping for a special bottle of red wine with which to entertain Sir Alex Ferguson. Whatever the vintage and provenance, it will surely be infinitely more palatable than the breakfast Manchester United's manager once served his Newcastle United counterpart.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*allegedly

was my first thought too

there are plenty of high functioning alcoholics in high stress positions, so not sure I agree on this one, chez

It was more about spreading malicious rumour about the scum's manager more than anything <_<

On the topic of excessive drinking/work though i guess it depends on the nature of the job and where the stress comes from. If you work in the city, you are gambling on the outcomes of events. You might have enough experience and knowledge to be able to process the implications of events as it doesnt require you to learn new ways of thinking. The stress becomes investing large cash into a gamble, and being full of coke and booze might not neccessarily be a bad thing. Being an actor is stressful but probably doesnt matter too much how much you drink.

For a modern football manager, untrained in anything apart from coaching and playing football, running a club, preparing tactics to play teams, translating that into targeted coaching and adjusting this every week, buying and selling players, understanding the finance and administration (all increasingly complex), i reckon excessive drinking is going to affect your performance.

I take your point though.

that assumes that someone is always under the influence/operating at a severely reduced capacity, though.

he can be training, internalising and processing new information early in the day, and operating on autopilot later on. not that I have a clue if bruce is up to that

*allegedly

was my first thought too

isn't Alex Ferguson teetotal now ? Read his book but can't remember. He def has no time for his players drinking, always has.

It clearly took its toll on Brian Clough in his last few years.

could well be, but wasn't he fond of a drink when he was an outstanding manager early on?

agree about clough, no matter how you play it, that much drink is eventually going to destroy your brain in the long term.

Didn't realise he hadn't signed a new contract.

must have been when they got that draw against us

I meant Gordon btw.

ok, I've just got in and was reading the the thread backwards..... <_<

The mackems won't go down, I have thought for a while Blackpool would slide and go back down, I hope West Ham join them. After that I'm not too bothered.

He's not, he's average

He's actually a good goalkeeper with a seriously bad injury record, he's constantly injured.

Gordons pretty decent when fit but thats fairly rare these days. Mignolet seems like he could be a better bet though once he's had more experience.

He's not, he's average

He's actually a good goalkeeper with a seriously bad injury record, he's constantly injured.

What's the craic among the fans with Bruce, James? Do they think he's lost it and is hitting the bottle? You've had a lot of injury problems haven't you, is he copping the blame for the situation?

There has never been total support for SB at any time whilst he's been here, a lot of people can't see past his "Geordie roots" and that is sad. Those people are out in force now calling him a mag bastard etc. but were no where to be seen at the start of the season. Embarrassingly fickle.

The problem Bruce has is that he struggles (badly) when plan A doesn't work - there is no plan B. Once we get beat a few times off the trot, like we have now, he seems clueless as to how to turn it around, we seem to panic and stop playing our usual game, hit the self destruct button I guess. The inexperience of the team is probably partly to blame, there's no-one to step up and help the younger lads out, we don't have a proper captain/leader like you have in Barton/Nolan.

Injuries really haven't helped us out, but you can't use that as an excuse. Everton have had endless injuries this season, but they have a top manager who can adapt to that and change their game - we don't. Bruce does seem to be hiding behind this though and using it as an excuse which is wrong. It must be frustrating for him though, it really has been a one in and one out situation with injuries, key players too - but that's no excuse for being tactically hopeless at times.

And I'll just point out now that we haven't missed Bent, and we were correct to sell him, what we did wrong was fail to replace him with anyone, it has left us completely toothless up front, even more so with the absence of Welbeck. Leaving a PL team with 1 fit striker is suicide.

It looks like another massive expensive reshuffle in the summer, this season has been a step backward. I still think Bruce is the man for the job for now, we just need to add a lot more experience to our young squad and build (again) from there.

We weren't prolific with him tbf, he was strolling round the pitch like he couldn't give a toss this season.

And our injuries have been canny bad:

Turner - most of season

Bramble - 1/3 season

Richardson - month or so

Gordon - missed a lot, has rarely played

Onouha - few weeks

Cattermole - months

Welbeck - month or so

Mensah - injured every other week, and that's no lie!

Campbell - full season

There's probably a few more as well. Not an excuse for the dip in form, but definitely a contributing factor.

Harper - Krul has played more.

Simpson - Missed the first couple of months of the season.

Taylor - Barely played.

Carroll - Missed about a month then sold.

Ameobi - niggling injuries as usual.

Ben Arfa - played 3 games.

Gosling - Played about 15 minutes.

Best - Out for the rest of the season.

Vuckic - Rarely fit all season.

Again there are probably more and Tiote has missed about 5 games through suspension.

I miss top trumps :)