Adventures with Nurofen and internal bleeding

spongebob toonpants

So I was feeling a bit rough last week and chowing down on the Nurofen cold and Flu to get me through.

Any way after a couple of days I started feeling really rough, shivering weak and looking very pale so I took myself round to the doctors where all hell broke loose.

The Dr went uhoh anemia and then things got a bit more urgent when she couldn't locate a pulse :( and it took 10 minutes to find a vein to get a blood sample.

Straight off to the hospital - express pass through A&E- and hooked up for a 12 hour blood transfusion.

So it turns out that I my stomach lining had been attacked by Nurofen and I was losing masses of blood internally.

My Hemaglobin level was 4.5 (normal I think is 13 to 17) . I later asked the nurse how bad that was, her reply was "that's fairly fatal"

Good news is once I stopped taking Nurofen my body started healing itself, and after various probes through various body openings, and one more blood transfusion they sent me on my merry way.

So four days in hospital, a brush with death and a life ban from ibuprofen. Interesting few days.

I have to say the care I received was fantastic start to finish. Glad it happened before the coalition destroy the NHS

Ibuprofen and similar drugs (eg Voltarol, Aspirin) all come under the heading of Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs). As their name suggests, they're very good at reducing pain and swelling but they can have some rather nasty side effects.

Glad you survived them!

That's an awful story, Spongebob. Did the doctor say that you had a particularly bad reaction (kinda like an allergic reaction), or that this was more common than not?

Either way, glad to hear that you're on the mend.

So I was feeling a bit rough last week and chowing down on the Nurofen cold and Flu to get me through.

Any way after a couple of days I started feeling really rough, shivering weak and looking very pale so I took myself round to the doctors where all hell broke loose.

The Dr went uhoh anemia and then things got a bit more urgent when she couldn't locate a pulse :( and it took 10 minutes to find a vein to get a blood sample.

Straight off to the hospital - express pass through A&E- and hooked up for a 12 hour blood transfusion.

So it turns out that I my stomach lining had been attacked by Nurofen and I was losing masses of blood internally.

My Hemaglobin level was 4.5 (normal I think is 13 to 17) . I later asked the nurse how bad that was, her reply was "that's fairly fatal"

Good news is once I stopped taking Nurofen my body started healing itself, and after various probes through various body openings, and one more blood transfusion they sent me on my merry way.

So four days in hospital, a brush with death and a life ban from ibuprofen. Interesting few days.

I have to say the care I received was fantastic start to finish. Glad it happened before the coalition destroy the NHS

Malingering cunt wasting NHS time and money. A brisk walk and a glass of water would have sorted you out, lad.

I s'pose I should say it's good to hear you're on the mend, though no doubt you're on the sick now instead of working? Hmm.

:razz: Get well soon Spongebob :razz:

Fucking hell you were lucky. If you hadn't gone to the doctor then (and plenty wouldn't) you would have been brown bread without a doubt.

How much were you taking if you don't mind me asking? Ibuprofen's generally regarded as safe (sold in supermarkets etc) but at the end of the day it's an NSAID and should be treated with respect I guess. From memory it's just as dangerous as other NSAIDs if you take it in high doses - probably worse than naproxen actually.

I should use it with more caution too, I sometimes pop 800mg a time if I have muscular aches or injury. Which is pretty stupid considering I once had a minor haemorrhage with aspirin.

Glad you had a good NHS experience and get well soon mate.

Thanks everybody - it's amazing how quickly I got better once I stopped taking them.

Anybody who is taking them be very careful if your crap turns black.

That's an awful story, Spongebob. Did the doctor say that you had a particularly bad reaction (kinda like an allergic reaction), or that this was more common than not?

Either way, glad to hear that you're on the mend.

Ridiculously common apparently- they knew exactly what had caused it straight away

Fucking hell you were lucky. If you hadn't gone to the doctor then (and plenty wouldn't) you would have been brown bread without a doubt.

How much were you taking if you don't mind me asking? Ibuprofen's generally regarded as safe (sold in supermarkets etc) but at the end of the day it's an NSAID and should be treated with respect I guess. From memory it's just as dangerous as other NSAIDs if you take it in high doses - probably worse than naproxen actually.

I should use it with more caution too, I sometimes pop 800mg a time if I have muscular aches or injury. Which is pretty stupid considering I once had a minor haemorrhage with aspirin.

Glad you had a good NHS experience and get well soon mate.

It didn't feel like I was taking that many, but it probably was 6 - 8 a day for about 5 days.

I tell you what though, it would have darkly humourous if after taking all sorts for nearly fifty years I had been done inby taking Nurofen

Edited by spongebob toonpants

I'd be fucked if I couldn't take ibuprofen, the 400mg ones are the only things that touch my headaches.

do you get migraines? only thing ive found that helps is almotriptan