do you know CPR?

trophyshy

Do you know CPR? Would you know what to do if some poor sod had a heart attack next to you?

I had the rather traumatic experience on Sunday of seeing some bloke on the ground dying following his heart attack and 5 family members standing around not having a clue what to do.

I knew CPR so realised I had to get involved.

Apart from the trauma of witnessing someone dying underneath you and shouting at them like that scene from The Abyss my lasting feelings are shock that none of his family, nor any of the several bystanders at the scene before I got there knew what the fuck to do.

So I am now taking it upon myself to make sure as many people as possible know how to do it, it's not hard, this video shows you the basics, I know the medics on here might come on and debate the nuances, but basically you need to get their blood moving.

Learn it please and if some poor cunt goes down, ACT, so I don't have to fucking do it again.

Thanks.

Did the course a few years ago - all well and good till the end when someone asked what happens if you do that and it isn't a heart attack - you'll probably kill them being the answer which makes you wary about stepping up.

Like most people I'd hope there was someone there who'd step up.

yeah - the important thing is not to panic

Ground breaking advice from Rob as ever.

I'm always willing to share my vast experience with you young'uns.............

Did the bloke make it?

I did it until the paramedic arrived, who defibbed him (a truly shocking sight, no pun intended) after which his breathing improved (he had been gasping every 20 seconds or so prior to that) and some rhythm returned to his heart.

I don't know if he made it as I walked away once the medics had control, I was with my niece who is 5 and was freaking out a bit so I took her away to comfort her and sort my own head out too. He was breathing when they took him in the ambulance apparently. Fingers crossed he's okay.

Edited by trophyshy

I did a pretty decent first aid course at school as part of my Duke of Edinburgh award, never had to use it though. I like to think I'd remember enough now to at least have a bash at helping someone. Of course that's on the assumption I was able to remain calm enough - not sure how I'd react if it was a family member on the deck.

That said mind, my mam always insists I'd be able to stay calm, citing one time where she spilled hot water all over her hand and arm and then panicked & froze. Apparently I stayed calm (I was about 8 or 9) and got it under cold water etc. I have no recollection of this though so I'm not convinced it ever happened. :lol:

Well played trophy. Hopefully the bloke ended up alright. I'd want to know if I was you, but probably not that easy to find out.

I've often thought about this and got that shock of worry that I wouldn't know what to do if it came to it. Gonna watch the video and make sure I've got a good idea of what the score is.

Cheers for the vid. I done training years ago while in the TA. I cant remember the ratio, something like 1 in 15 (1 being the breaths). Good for everyone to know. thankfully Ive not had to try it but good on you for jumping in.

Did the bloke make it?

I did it until the paramedic arrived, who defibbed him (a truly shocking sight, no pun intended) after which his breathing improved (he had been gasping every 20 seconds or so prior to that) and some rhythm returned to his heart.

I don't know if he made it as I walked away once the medics had control, I was with my niece who is 5 and was freaking out a bit so I took her away to comfort her and sort my own head out too. He was breathing when they took him in the ambulance apparently. Fingers crossed he's okay.

Top work mate, i'd have you in the trenches with me.

Do you know CPR? Would you know what to do if some poor sod had a heart attack next to you?

I had the rather traumatic experience on Sunday of seeing some bloke on the ground dying following his heart attack and 5 family members standing around not having a clue what to do.

I knew CPR so realised I had to get involved.

Apart from the trauma of witnessing someone dying underneath you and shouting at them like that scene from The Abyss my lasting feelings are shock that none of his family, nor any of the several bystanders at the scene before I got there knew what the fuck to do.

So I am now taking it upon myself to make sure as many people as possible know how to do it, it's not hard, this video shows you the basics, I know the medics on here might come on and debate the nuances, but basically you need to get their blood moving.

Learn it please and if some poor cunt goes down, ACT, so I don't have to fucking do it again.

Thanks.

i do know it. did a hostile environment course last year. the guys leading the course both had thousand yard stares. they were former sas men that worked as medical and tactical consultants in various ware zones around the world and had clearly seen a lot of death in their time. sadly, they told us that the reality is that cpr rarely works. it's not like hollywood when people just snap back into life and start breathing again. that rarely happens.

Cheers for the vid. I done training years ago while in the TA. I cant remember the ratio, something like 1 in 15 (1 being the breaths). Good for everyone to know. thankfully Ive not had to try it but good on you for jumping in.

I think the latest advice is to concentrate purely on compressions if you aren't fully trained.

Shocking that I'm not trained considering my background tbh (did some many years ago and really can't remember it). I should do something about it.

I was taught to count the 15 by reciting Nelly the Elephant in my head as it's the right number of beats. :lol:

The resus trainer at our place told me that his basic advice these days is "Just do something" and don't be obsessing over how many compressions to how many breaths etc. If you witness a cardiac arrest or someone whose heart has stopped then you truly can't make them any worse..

Yes I know what to do but I'd still shit myself if it happened outside of work. I'm much happier having a defib and an anaesthetic machine to ventilate with.

Top Man Trophyshy.

Is it possible his family were too shocked to do anything?

I'm trained, need to be in my line of work, I know from past experience too that practise on a nice clean dummy is totally different to sticking the lips on some snot & spit covered victim.

You should be proud of yourself mate :lol:

Good work trophyshy. As an anaesthetist I go to cardiac arrest calls quite frequently and they still put the shits up even the most experienced of doctors, so I can only imagine what a headfuck it must have been.

Current resus guidelines are 30 compressions to 2 breaths, but as has been said above, compressions matter more but most important is to do something. As someone else said the chances of making it are slim but they are plenty of people who have survived such situations so it's definitely worth trying.

My hospital advises that if you don't have the necessary equipment to hand just forget about the breaths, and NOT to do mouth to mouth - because it's not very effective and you are putting yourself at risk from infections.

defib is bad but it used to be worse

I once saw a doc at Tynemouth Infirmary jam a very long needle straight up into a guys heart from just above the solar plexus to restart him in a hurry -really punched it home as well - but that was in the 60's..... he did survive tho'

I once saw a doc at Tynemouth Infirmary jam a very long needle straight up into a guys heart from just above the solar plexus to restart him in a hurry -really punched it home as well - but that was in the 60's..... he did survive tho'

:D

What you describe sounds like like pericardiocentesis, a procedure to drain fluid that has accumulated in the layer of tissue surrounding the heart, that is still performed today if required. It is something very different to defibrillation, not some old fashioned technique that has been surpassed.

Nice one Trophyshy.

Its also worth all the mums and dads (and anyone else for that matter) having a look at this.

The biggest killer in infants is choking and the actions to try and save a choking child are worth knowing.

Nice one Trophyshy.

Its also worth all the mums and dads (and anyone else for that matter) having a look at this.

The biggest killer in infants is choking and the actions to try and save a choking child are worth knowing.

The Teeside Method is simple- take your cock out.

Nice one Trophyshy.

The Teeside Method is simple- take your cock out.

:icon_lol:

Dear me :D

:D

What you describe sounds like like pericardiocentesis, a procedure to drain fluid that has accumulated in the layer of tissue surrounding the heart, that is still performed today if required. It is something very different to defibrillation, not some old fashioned technique that has been surpassed.

it wasn't a procedure - this was EMERGENCY treatment - this guy was sitting on the edge of his bed chatting to the guy in the next bed and all of a sudden went right over - very grey he was- the nurse was there in a flash and pressed some alarm - this cart appeared with a doc and a couple of nurses zooming down the ward - they didn't even pull the curtains - out with this bloody big needle and wham into his chest