On This Day

Ayatollah Hermione

Puskas turned out at SJP 44 years ago for Jackie Milburn's testimonial. Surely the most famous player ever to have played at SJP? Him or George Best anyway.

Puskas turned out at SJP 44 years ago for Jackie Milburn's testimonial. Surely the most famous player ever to have played at SJP? Him or George Best anyway.

Pele played for Santos in a friendly in the 70s I think.

Never knew that tbf. Good knowledge.

Excluding English players, I think the most famous player I've seen play in the flesh is probably Rivaldo.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1979 Brighton &

Hove Albion (h)

1-3 (0-3)

Division Two

40pts, 10th

Shoulder

Horton, Ward, Ryan

While the Magpies were just playing out their season, Alan Mullery's Seagulls earned the points that ensured their promotion - although thoughts that they had won the league were later dispelled when Crystal Palace beat Burnley.

Estimates of how many travelling fans made the trip vary, but given that over 18,000 fewer fans had seen our midweek victory over Bristol Rovers, it was a sizeable number.

After a win achieved in weather conditions that varied between sun, rain and hail the victorious Albion side returned to the south coast that night on a specially chartered Brighton Belle Pullman train.

;)

Brighton had the full Leazes End and it was packed. This was the middle game of 3 home games in 7 days (the last being the rearranged Wrexham game which was played after all other clubs had completed their campaign - the famous sub 8,000 crowd).

We played very against Brighton, the ref had a stinker and I'm sure that it was full house of around 32,000.

It wasn't at SJP though - we played them in Japan or somewhere random like that. I'm sure Pele scored a hat-trick as well.

1979 Brighton &

Hove Albion (h)

1-3 (0-3)

Division Two

40pts, 10th

Shoulder

Horton, Ward, Ryan

While the Magpies were just playing out their season, Alan Mullery's Seagulls earned the points that ensured their promotion - although thoughts that they had won the league were later dispelled when Crystal Palace beat Burnley.

Estimates of how many travelling fans made the trip vary, but given that over 18,000 fewer fans had seen our midweek victory over Bristol Rovers, it was a sizeable number.

After a win achieved in weather conditions that varied between sun, rain and hail the victorious Albion side returned to the south coast that night on a specially chartered Brighton Belle Pullman train.

:o

Brighton had the full Leazes End and it was packed. This was the middle game of 3 home games in 7 days (the last being the rearranged Wrexham game which was played after all other clubs had completed their campaign - the famous sub 8,000 crowd).

We played very against Brighton, the ref had a stinker and I'm sure that it was full house of around 32,000.

That was the Cup that, Trelford Mills was the ref, disallowed two good goals and we went oot 0-1.

• 4 months later...