Religion headed toward extinction

Happy Face

Grayling on the book:

"The Good Book mirrors the Bible in both form and language, and is, as its author says, “ambitious and hubristic—a distillation of the best that has been thought and said by people who’ve really experienced life, and thought about it.” Drawing on classical secular texts from east and west, Grayling has “done just what the Bible makers did with the sacred texts,” reworking them into a “great treasury of insight and consolation and inspiration and uplift and understanding in the great non-religious traditions of the world.” He has been working on his opus for several decades, and the result is an extravagantly erudite manifesto for rational thought."

Fair enough, I didn't realise it was a serious attempt at producing a literal secular Bible. I'll stick to the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster to guide my morality.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The King James is meant to be a great literary effort anyway, according to people who dig that sort of shite. He won't better it, but books dealing with atheism seem to sell well these days and he will have seen Dawkins, Hitch and the other lot get rich doing so.

RE the existence of aliens. I've said this before, it'd make fuck all difference to a lot of religious people if there were concrete proof of extraterrestrial life. They'd make up some new bullshit to fit it in with their faith, or just flat out deny it. In fact, I was just watching an interview the other day with Billy Graham (famous US evangelist) and he said he believed there are many planets in the universe that are inhabited, but earth is the only planet whose inhabitants are in rebellion against god. So there you go, a fresh crock of shite to go with the scriptures and rhetoric.

RE the existence of aliens. I've said this before, it'd make fuck all difference to a lot of religious people if there were concrete proof of extraterrestrial life. They'd make up some new bullshit to fit it in with their faith, or just flat out deny it. In fact, I was just watching an interview the other day with Billy Graham (famous US evangelist) and he said he believed there are many planets in the universe that are inhabited, but earth is the only planet whose inhabitants are in rebellion against god. So there you go, a fresh crock of shite to go with the scriptures and rhetoric.

The Vatican came out with some stuff a while ago about how they were confident any aliens would be God's children too - no word on why we got his "only son" and what the poor aliens had to do with instead.

Well, that's because they're not in rebellion against god like us; they don't need to be saved. BG's line covers the bases pretty nicely. I'd like to see his fucking house, the filthy conniving bastard. He must be sitting on a few hundred mill, if not more.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

The King James is meant to be a great literary effort anyway, according to people who dig that sort of shite. He won't better it, but books dealing with atheism seem to sell well these days and he will have seen Dawkins, Hitch and the other lot get rich doing so.

:D

That mad bastard filled Roker Park back in the day iirc.

:D

That mad bastard filled Roker Park back in the day iirc.

That going towards their average attendance?

• 1 year later...

2011 Census results make interesting reading....

There were four million fewer Christians in England and Wales in 2011 than 10 years ago, the census found.

Among those who stated a religious affiliation, Christians remained the largest group - 33.2 million, representing 59% of residents. This compares with 37.3 million (72%) in 2001.

The second-most common category was "No religion", comprising more than a quarter of the population (25.1%; 14.1 million), up from 7.7 million (14.8%) in 2001.

The third-most popular category was Muslim, with numbers rising from 1.5 million (3%) to 2.7 million (4.8%) over the 10 years.

All English regions and Wales saw a percentage decline in residents who described themselves as Christians over the period.

The highest percentage of Christians was found in the North East of England, where 1.8 million worshippers represented 68% of residents.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20677321

The question was very badly worded as well (deliberately) as it mentioned how do you identify rather than what do you believe so a lapsed catholic for example would probably still say Christian.

There was a campaign to change it but the Tories rejected it. Other data with better questions suggest a 10% lower "true" figure.

Still good news though.