Major Earthquake N Japan - Pacific Tsunami Warning

Rob W

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here's a bio of the nut job that presents the program which Parky posted:

Alex Jones.

I suppose Greg Palast (the blole interviewed) is a nutjob as well? You're so narrow minded you probably fall over cause your head is saw shaped.

I get my info from everywhere. I don't sit there crying into a BBC teatowel you nonce. <_<

Alex Jones.

The scariest thing about that Wiki is that he was born in 1974. He looks fucking ancient, yet he was born the year before me.

He shouts a lot. Probably aged him. <_<

Alex Jones.

I suppose Greg Palast (the blole interviewed) is a nutjob as well? You're so narrow minded you probably fall over cause your head is saw shaped.

I get my info from everywhere. I don't sit there crying into a BBC teatowel you nonce. <_<

You get your info from any site that suits your weird views, which are conspiracy sites in the main.

Parlance is welcome to his views but he's not credible in this case.

'ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND WILL DIE!!!!!' - based on absolutely no evidence at all. I think I'll trust scientists who have spent their entire careers in the field rather than a journalist who clearly has an agenda.

I get the impression some people actually want this thing to go off......

We're very lucky. The worst we'd ever get is our wheelie bin blowing over...!

If we had an earthquake of that Magnitude it would be a lot worse than that here with the geology makeup of the UK.

Also, isnt there a shelf in Gibraltar that if that falls would cause one of the biggest tsunami's known to man, basically the UK would go?

If we had an earthquake of that Magnitude it would be a lot worse than that here with the geology makeup of the UK.

Also, isnt there a shelf in Gibraltar that if that falls would cause one of the biggest tsunami's known to man, basically the UK would go?

This bloke doesnt thnk so:

http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/gsl/views/askage...t/page6542.html]

The earthquake that hit kent a few years back was only about 44 and that caused a lot of damage due to the clay's down there. imagine that doubled!

Are you thinking of the Canaries?

Geologists S. Day and S. Ward consider that a megatsunami could be generated during a future eruption involving the Cumbre Vieja on the volcanic ocean island of La Palma, in the Canary Islands.[12][13]

In 1949, the Cumbre Vieja volcano erupted at its Duraznero, Hoyo Negro and San Juan vents. During this eruption, an earthquake with an epicentre near the village of Jedy occurred. The following day Rubio Bonelli, a local geologist, visited the summit area and discovered that a fissure about 2.5 km long had opened on the eastern side of the summit. As a result, the western half of the Cumbre Vieja (which is the volcanically active arm of a triple-armed rift) had slipped about 2 m downwards and 1 m westwards towards the Atlantic Ocean[citation needed].

The Cumbre Vieja volcano is currently in a dormant stage, but will almost certainly erupt again in the future. Day and Ward hypothesize[12][13] that if such an eruption causes the western flank to fail, a megatsunami will be generated.

La Palma is currently the most volcanically active island in the Canary Islands Archipelago. It is likely that several eruptions would be required before failure would occur on Cumbre Vieja.[12][13] However, the western half of the volcano has an approximate volume of 500 km3 (5 x 1011 m3) and an estimated mass of 1.5 x 1015 kg. If it were to catastrophically slide into the ocean, it could generate a wave with an initial height of about 1,000 metres (3,281 ft) at the island, and a likely height of around 50 metres (164 ft) at the Caribbean and the Eastern North American seaboard when it runs ashore eight or more hours later. Tens of millions of lives would be lost as New York, Boston, Baltimore, Washington D.C., Miami, Havana, and many other cities near the Atlantic coast are leveled. The likelihood of this happening is a matter of vigorous debate.[14]

The last Cumbre Vieja eruption occurred in 1971 at the southern end of the sub-aerial section without any movement. The section affected by the 1949 eruption is currently stationary and does not appear to have moved since the initial rupture.[15]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megatsunami

Alex Jones.

You get your info from any site that suits your weird views, which are conspiracy sites in the main.

Parlance is welcome to his views but he's not credible in this case.

'ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND WILL DIE!!!!!' - based on absolutely no evidence at all. I think I'll trust scientists who have spent their entire careers in the field rather than a journalist who clearly has an agenda.

I get the impression some people actually want this thing to go off......

Aye, there are loons out there that want a full-blown meltdown just so they can say their predictions were right, no doubt about it.

The earthquake that hit kent a few years back was only about 44 and that caused a lot of damage due to the clay's down there. imagine that doubled!

I'm no expert on earthquakes by any stretch of the imagination but the scale of them works a bit differently to how you think they are. That is an earthquake of a magnitude of 8.8 is not double the strength of an earthquake with a magnitude 4.4.

The earthquake that hit Christchurch had a magnitude of 6.3, but this Japanese one with a magnitude of 9.0 was said to be roughly a thousand times stronger. Well, that's what I read anyway.

I'm no expert on earthquakes by any stretch of the imagination but the scale of them works a bit differently to how you think they are. That is an earthquake of a magnitude of 8.8 is not double the strength of an earthquake with a magnitude 4.4.

The earthquake that hit Christchurch had a magnitude of 6.3, but this Japanese one with a magnitude of 9.0 was said to be roughly a thousand times stronger. Well, that's what I read anyway.

I think a different factors work here

Geology

Time of year

etc

Alex Jones.

Greg Palast wrote an interesting book called The Best Democracy Money Can Buy a while ago. You could say he's a Michael Moore type who seeks less limelight and more hard, documented evidence.

2012 is the year we all die ! [/Parky]

I think we'll probably be alright for a remarkably long time. 2050 before anything completely mental happens, and I'll be 72 moaning about what a shit board of directors the toon have, sat in the East Stand listening to fans singing 81 years won fuck all at us.