Major Earthquake N Japan - Pacific Tsunami Warning

Rob W

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were expecting the 3rd one to blow; as long as the walls stay intact around the rods, even if they melt, there won't be severe leakage.

did you hear the things that went wrong?

the generators were too low and were damaged by the tsunami

the fire engine ran out of fuel.......................

talk about it all going wrong at once

The ramifications for this with peak oil and climate change already massive issues are mind boggling.

Germany already talking about backing away from nuclear.

Start growing trees everyone.

The ramifications for this with peak oil and climate change already massive issues are mind boggling.

Germany already talking about backing away from nuclear.

Start growing trees everyone.

The Germans are mad luddite bastards though.

Lets wait and see what happens, if there is no significant leak, we can be confident about the safety of nuclear power. If there is a catastrophe, well fuck it, we don't live on a tectonic plate anyway.

Chernobyl killed 50 people. FIFTY! This natural disaster will have killed thousands without anything to do with nuclear power. Let's get things in perspective.

we can't do much to minimize an earthquake though.

Even if they do contain it it's hard to imagine nuclear power holding much political strength anywhere over the next few years. Which in light of the energy problems we face means either saying suck it up to the politicians and/or the general public or figuring out much more costly and challenging solutions.

Even if they do contain it it's hard to imagine nuclear power holding much political strength anywhere over the next few years. Which in light of the energy problems we face means either saying suck it up to the politicians and/or the general public or figuring out much more costly and challenging solutions.

Agreed. I just don't see a viable alternative to nuclear energy though. Windmills and solar panels can only contribute so much, so do we just continue consuming ever more volumes of fossil fuels? No win situation.

What with the banking collapse a couple of years ago, the carry on in the Middle East, Japan in chaos, and the unstoppable rise of China it feels like the world is fucked right now.

Chernobyl killed 50 people. FIFTY! This natural disaster will have killed thousands without anything to do with nuclear power. Let's get things in perspective.

Directly yes - legacy deaths will exceed that and they were lucky with the prevaling wind in the hours after the explosion.

I think its a bit early for your "its proved it's okay" position.

Directly yes - legacy deaths will exceed that and they were lucky with the prevaling wind in the hours after the explosion.

I thought the figure was something like 2,000 - that could be attributed to the Chernobyl disaster.

Agreed. I just don't see a viable alternative to nuclear energy though. Windmills and solar panels can only contribute so much, so do we just continue consuming ever more volumes of fossil fuels? No win situation.

What with the banking collapse a couple of years ago, the carry on in the Middle East, Japan in chaos, and the unstoppable rise of China it feels like the world is fucked right now.

RHI announced last week.

We'll all be subsidised for burning wood - Return to the source!

The rise of China may prove to be a saviour. They can act without the shackles of democracy, they have thousands of years of understanding about conflict and resource management and are not encumbered by religious zealots. They are powering ahead with renewables. Just to join in with some of the previously displayed optimism.

The world is however always fucked up. We just get it tweeted to us in our sleep now.

A bit early? It was over 25 years ago. The 'indirect' deaths have proved much less than people originally feared, that's a fact, a fact which the likes of Green Peace are very keen to distort to support their antinuclear agenda. There was a predictable rise in thyroid cancer but this is fortunately very treatable.

I wonder how many people have died as a result of 'conventional' accidents or how many will perish if the climate change caused by burning fossil fuels wreaks havoc as is accepted by most climatologists? There's no easy answers which is why I hate the pathetic dogmatic stance of the Green groups regarding these issues.

I think he meant Japan not Chernobyl

Fair enough but it's obvious we need to wait a few days to see if the reactors are controlled. If they are then any suggestion of mass deaths in the population would be Parky territory.

Fair enough but it's obvious we need to wait a few days to see if the reactors are controlled. If they are then any suggestion of mass deaths in the population would be Parky territory.

I meant both really - as I said originally I'm not anti-science - I've just always thought Fission was iffy.

I'd love to see real urgent research on a huge scale to develop new sources - I've always been disappointed that there doesn't seem to have been that much progress in solar power in recent decades for example.

Comparing the scale of deaths from a meltdown to the whole climate change scenario is fair enough but I still wouldn't want to see "only" 20000 (completely arbitrary) deaths as some kind of acceptable risk.

I meant both really - as I said originally I'm not anti-science - I've just always thought Fission was iffy.

I'd love to see real urgent research on a huge scale to develop new sources - I've always been disappointed that there doesn't seem to have been that much progress in solar power in recent decades for example.

Comparing the scale of deaths from a meltdown to the whole climate change scenario is fair enough but I still wouldn't want to see "only" 20000 (completely arbitrary) deaths as some kind of acceptable risk.

I think you have to accept risks like that though. It all pales into insignificance compared with other natural events and wars etc.

I wish there was good alternatives but at the minute other technologies just can't deliver and perhaps never will.

I'd also add that France is a fairly good model for nuclear power. They would struggle massively without it and can even afford to sell us their excess power. Useful for their trains as well etc.

I'd also add that France is a fairly good model for nuclear power. They would struggle massively without it and can even afford to sell us their excess power. Useful for their trains as well etc.

Portugal's a fairly good model for renewable energy too...

There has been a recent trend towards the development of a renewable resource industry and reduction of both consumption and use of fossil fuel resources. In 2006, the world's largest solar power plant began operating in the south, while the world's first commercial wave power farm opened in the Norte region (October 2006). By the end of 2006, 66% of the country's electrical production was from coal and fuel power plants, while 29% were derived from hydroelectric dams, and 6% by wind energy.

In 2008, renewable energy resource methods began to take-up 43% of the nation's consumption of electricity, even as hydroelectric production decreased due to severe droughts. As of June 2010 the electricity exports have outnumbered the imports; 70% of the national production of energy has transitioned to renewable sources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portugal

Isn't that preferable/safer?

It's an impressive reversal of the numbers.

Portugal's a fairly good model for renewable energy too...

There has been a recent trend towards the development of a renewable resource industry and reduction of both consumption and use of fossil fuel resources. In 2006, the world's largest solar power plant began operating in the south, while the world's first commercial wave power farm opened in the Norte region (October 2006). By the end of 2006, 66% of the country's electrical production was from coal and fuel power plants, while 29% were derived from hydroelectric dams, and 6% by wind energy.

In 2008, renewable energy resource methods began to take-up 43% of the nation's consumption of electricity, even as hydroelectric production decreased due to severe droughts. As of June 2010 the electricity exports have outnumbered the imports; 70% of the national production of energy has transitioned to renewable sources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portugal

Isn't that preferable/safer?

It's an impressive reversal of the numbers.

How much power do they (Portugal) need to produce compared with Britain? Are there more logistical obstacles here than there? How's the decriminalization of weed going there? The last I saw it was a success in every area that could be quantified.