'Blade Runner' returns!

Tooj

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/m...s_sequels_.html

Androids may dream of electric sheep, but fanboys have been dreaming of this moment for years.

Alcon Entertainment, the production company behind 2009's "The Blind Side," announced Wednesday that it is closing in on the rights to the 1982 cult sci-fi movie, "Blade Runner," Variety reported.

The studio has its eye on making prequels and sequels to the cult classic, which starred Harrison Ford as a cop hunting down illegal "replicants" (or clones, for non-geeks) in a dystopian future in the far-flung year of 2019. Based on Philip K. Dick's book, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, and directed by Ridley Scott, the movie was a box office flop when it came out but continues to be held in reverence by many sci-fi fans.

"This is a major acquisition for our company, and a personal favorite film for both of us," Alcon co-heads Kosove and Broderick Johnson said in a statement. "We recognize the responsibility we have to do justice to the memory of the original with any prequel or sequel we produce. We have long-term goals for the franchise, and are exploring multiplatform concepts, not just limiting ourselves to one medium.”

Hollywood is in the midst of a trend of strip-mining old sci-fi movies for potential remakes, reboots and retreads. Last year's "Tron: Legacy" revisited the Grid 28 years after the original, a prequel to John Carpenter's "The Thing" hits theaters in October, and Scott is hard at work on "Prometheus," which may or may not be a sequel to the "Alien" movies.

Purists can rest assured, though, as Alcon says its deal, with producer-director Bud Yorkin -- who currently holds the rights to "Blade Runner" -- would exclude permission to remake the original.

Harry Knowles, founder of Ain't It Cool News, says it’s too early for fans to get excited or angry about future "Blade Runner" projects.

"There is a universe there that captured a lot of people's imaginations," says Knowles. "It could be horrifying or it could be awesome.

"It all depends on what talent groups they get together to exploit it."

I hope this doesn't happen like.

I hope this doesn't happen like.

Me too. Can't hope to match the impact of the original and will only sully its reputation.

These are the kind of muppets that can really fuck up a legacy.

THINK OF NEW IDEAS YOU DUMB FUCKS.....!!!!

Or buy my script. :(

Do remakes/sequels make original films worse?

No. Personally I'd be interested in seeing this idea developed. I don't understand why there are 'brand' concerns with these sort of things. Respect the fact that fans want it to be left alone but doing prequels and sequels allows the world created by Dick/Scott etc to be further explored and developed.

I'm a big fan of the original.

Exhibit one, your Honour:The Matrix

I think the Matrix remains a quality film regardless of the poor sequels. In fact I can't think of original films that I've found wanting after watching a sequel, all I've ever felt is disappointment that the franchise was weakened and that my hopes were not met.

To be fair, I think if you'd watched Matrix 2 and 3, they work as stand alone films, not in the same class as the 1st, but decent none the less.

Exhibit one, your Honour:The Matrix

I think the Matrix remains a quality film regardless of the poor sequels. In fact I can't think of original films that I've found wanting after watching a sequel, all I've ever felt is disappointment that the franchise was weakened and that my hopes were not met.

To be fair, I think if you'd watched Matrix 2 and 3, they work as stand alone films, not in the same class as the 1st, but decent none the less.

I wish this was true for me. I absolutely loved the Matrix, but whenever I watch it now and see Morpheus my brain always says "Zion, are you ready to rock" after that mindnumbingly bad rave thing in Revolutions

Personally I thought The Matrix was shit before part 2 came out.

Beat me to it :icon_lol: it's fucking shit.

:( I really enjoyed it; it's not thought provoking, but the action sequences redefined the camera work and brought complicated wirework into blockbuster films.

I mean, forget about the meaning, just as an action film with a sci-fi bent, it's a fucking corker.

:( I really enjoyed it; it's not thought provoking, but the action sequences redefined the camera work and brought complicated wirework into blockbuster films.

I mean, forget about the meaning, just as an action film with a sci-fi bent, it's a fucking corker.

It takes itself so seriously imo. Whereas I was completely unable to take it seriously at all. I'm probably being harsh like, i.e. judging it in relation to the hype but I still think it's canny shit. If it was on telly and there was fuck all else on, I still wouldn't watch it again.

I'd agree the way it seems to believe it has something to say is pretty grating, which became more annoying with the over-reaching nonsense that came in the sequels.

I was lucky enough to see it before any hype. I actually had gone with some mates to watch the Star Wars film but that had sold out, we saw another film starting at roughly the same time and left a couple of hours later suitably impressed and entertained

It takes itself so seriously imo. Whereas I was completely unable to take it seriously at all. I'm probably being harsh like, i.e. judging it in relation to the hype but I still think it's canny shit. If it was on telly and there was fuck all else on, I still wouldn't watch it again.

I loved it - its pretty dated now I know, but when I first saw it at the cinema it was completely visually revolutionary. Behind Apocalypse Now it is the most I've ever enjoyed the visual cinema experience.

edit: ironically enough I would put Blade Runner at number three in my list

Edited by spongebob toonpants

I thought The Matrix was just a nerds moist dream. Cringe when I see geeks in the long coat and boots too. Neo wept tbh.

:( Exactly why The Fish loved it.

I thought The Matrix was just a nerds moist dream. Cringe when I see geeks in the long coat and boots too. Neo wept tbh.

:icon_lol: Exactly why The Fish loved it.

Whatever poindexter :(

Tricky one. Blade Runner is my no.1 all time fav film and as such I would hate to see it sullied but I'd also put Alien in my top 10. However, Aliens imo is a better film (more bang bang :( ) so sometimes the whole prequel/sequel thing can work.

Mind the rest of the Alien franchise was pap.