Before St. James Park

Monkeys Fist

a few weeks back I posetd some pics of the Heaton ground area on NOL

Unless you've not noticed this isn't NOL though.

Been past those places loads of times but never realised their significance. Also, what was the purpose of the 'City Stadium' in Byker? Does anyone know?

This article, upon further reading, raises a very interesting point- East End took over SJP after West End went out of business.

Essentially, this means that those of us who hail from the East of Newcastle, we "Oriental Geordies" if you like, are NUFC's original supporters.

True Bloods.

All the West End bamps are mere hangers-on, gloryhunters. Basically, from a historical viewpoint, OOT's. :(

*shits in pot, inserts spoon, stirs*

:(

(if this doesn't end "someones" retirement prematurely, Fenwicks will be having an anal display)

This article, upon further reading, raises a very interesting point- East End took over SJP after West End went out of business.

Essentially, this means that those of us who hail from the East of Newcastle, we "Oriental Geordies" if you like, are NUFC's original supporters.

True Bloods.

All the West End bamps are mere hangers-on, gloryhunters. Basically, from a historical viewpoint, OOT's. :(

(if this doesn't end "someones" retirement prematurely, Fenwicks will be having an anal display)

:icon_lol:

Been past those places loads of times but never realised their significance. Also, what was the purpose of the 'City Stadium' in Byker? Does anyone know?

At the bottom of Warwick St?

Was planned as an athletics ground, stands etc, in the 60s. Never got finished, but the name remained.

Was planned as an athletics ground, stands etc, in the 60s. Never got finished, but the name remained.

Aye, that's the fella. I'd heard something like that but couldn't remember the exact story / which sport it was for, etc.

Yup, plans were drawn up in the 50s to build a 94,500 capacity stadium. T Dan Smith wanted Newcastle to bid for the 1966 Empire (Commonwealth) Games, with the City Stadium at the heart of the plans.

citystadiumplans50s.jpg

Guest LeazesLad

True Bloods.

Glory hunters like people from the west end :good: . Great link that though, where did West End play then? People from the East End of the toon heavily outnumber us priviledged ones like on here.

True Bloods.

:good:

Glory hunters like people from the west end :rolleyes: . Great link that though, where did West End play then? People from the East End of the toon heavily outnumber us priviledged ones like on here.

I'm afraid my status as a True Blood prevents me from speaking to you, bampchops.

True Bloods.

Glory hunters like people from the west end :good: . Great link that though, where did West End play then? People from the East End of the toon heavily outnumber us priviledged ones like on here.

St James Park wasn't it?

Aye, and before them it was Newcastle Rangers, and before them, Tyne Association.

During the 1870s and 1880s, the Newcastle FA also used to play their home games at SJP, playing in their colours of... Black and White stripes.

As a kid, I was incredibly impressed that the club used to play just off Chilly Road. Every time we past that part of Chilly Road I used to bore my parents to death.

That's where Newcastle used to... I KNOW! (my parents would say through clenched teeth).

Would've been canny, just a five minute walk from home. But in reality, you can't beat SJP. Its been said so many times that its become a cliche, but with it on the hill, slap bang in the city centre for all to see. Its brilliant, and unique. Who else has a big city centre stadium? Its a great symbol of the connection between pride in the city and supporting the club.

The downside is that whenever something happens, its easy for all the charvers to turn up and or random passers by to say something daft on telly.

You'd never get stuff like that at a lot of grounds, cos who's going to be arsed to travel to some retail park or industrial estate at the arse end of nowhere. But its no bother coming into town, and a lot of people are probably in the vacinity anyway.

Come on Craig, why would an OOT know that :icon_lol:

And your right- even says so in the article :D

Oi! Gibbon Palms, i'm an ex-pat, not an OOT :)

:D

Come on Craig, why would an OOT know that :icon_lol:

And your right- even says so in the article :D

Oi! Gibbon Palms, i'm an ex-pat, not an OOT :)

:D

I didn't mean you , donkey bollocks.

It was all part of my cunning plan to wind up Stevie.

( which has been a miserable failure :angry: )