Hi, I'm drinking Pinot Grigio at midnight on Tuesday

Gene_Clark

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really not sure Greek wine qualifies as wine anyway.

I've had some really nice Greek wine as it happens. Admittedly I've had some dreadful stuff as well.

Drinking Pinot grigio at any time of day or night should result in automatic ban.

Pinot noir on the other hand....

Some Pinot Grigio / Pinot Gris is really nice but I think it's just most British drinkers like bland shite so that's what most of the stuff you get here is (same reason Carling, Fosters etc is so popular).

Drinking Pinot grigio at any time of day or night should result in automatic ban.

Some Pinot Grigio / Pinot Gris is really nice but I think it's just most British drinkers like bland shite so that's what most of the stuff you get here is (same reason Carling, Fosters etc is so popular).

i just recently discovered dry reisling. like a lot of brits, i naively thought all reislings were sweet and nasty but it's actually an absolutley lush grape. really minerally and crisp with some citrus fruits in there. about £10 a bottle for a good one mind so not cheap but well worth trying if you haven't already.

i just recently discovered dry reisling. like a lot of brits, i naively thought all reislings were sweet and nasty but it's actually an absolutley lush grape. really minerally and crisp with some citrus fruits in there. about £10 a bottle for a good one mind so not cheap but well worth trying if you haven't already.

The Pinot Gris, Reisling and Gurwurztrameiner (sp?) from Alsace all tend to be really nice imo. And I normally pay at least £8-9 for a bottle of wine anyway, which I don't think is dear really. I've never been able to get my head round why most people will spend a tenner on a crappy bottle of house red or white in a restaurant then think it's too expensive from a supermarket or wine warehouse or whatever. Especially as the latter is much better value.

jilly.jpg

Been on the NZ sauvignon blancs for a while now as they deliver precisely that (some more so than others, but theres always enough choice that one of the better bottles is on offer down from a tenner). Will have to give dry resiling a go to see how it stacks up. Would never even have considered it tbh.

jilly.jpg

:(

Good work.

Been on the NZ sauvignon blancs for a while now as they deliver precisely that (some more so than others, but theres always enough choice that one of the better bottles is on offer down from a tenner). Will have to give dry resiling a go to see how it stacks up. Would never even have considered it tbh.

Love NZ wines in general. Pinot Noir and Sauvignon Blanc are usually really nice. One of the nicest wines I've ever had is a Pinot Gris from NZ called Matakana, which is well worth trying out. You can get it online.

jilly.jpg

Just reminded me of Vic and Bob when they used to send up Food and Drink with the Michael Barry character sticking cocktail sticks into his fat, hairy arms :(

i've definitely become a bit of a gayer when it comes to wine like. used to drink any old shite but i go away with work quite a bit with a french cameraman (who is well into his food and wine) who has got me interested in it a lot more than i used to be.

i went wine tasting in santa barbra wine country in california a couple of years ago, which was awesome, learing how to really taste it, look at it, smell it etc. i really got into syrah and pinot noir out there but was less keen on their whites - it was all oaky chardonnays, which i'm not a fan of.

i agree alex about price; i'm usually spending around £8-10 a bottle these days. a few of my mates have started taking turns hosting a wine and cheese night - all lads in their 30s bringing a bottle or two each of wine worth at least £20 and a piece of interesting cheese. how pretentiously middle class is that?

i've definitely become a bit of a gayer when it comes to wine like. used to drink any old shite but i go away with work quite a bit with a french cameraman (who is well into his food and wine) who has got me interested in it a lot more than i used to be.

i went wine tasting in santa barbra wine country in california a couple of years ago, which was awesome, learing how to really taste it, look at it, smell it etc. i really got into syrah and pinot noir out there but was less keen on their whites - it was all oaky chardonnays, which i'm not a fan of.

i agree alex about price; i'm usually spending around £8-10 a bottle these days. a few of my mates have started taking turns hosting a wine and cheese night - all lads in their 30s bringing a bottle or two each of wine worth at least £20 and a piece of interesting cheese. how pretentiously middle class is that?

Well, aye you could say it's pretentious but I think if you've been drinking for over 20 years (like I have) you should probably have a word with yourself if you're still primarily drinking shite that gets you pissed rather than being a bit more discerning in your tastes. That's also a canny cheap night out (I know it's a night in btw :( ) and you're getting to taste some quality vino.

"Which cretin has pointed the brie?!" etc etc.

Seriously though, crossed some sort of line there by the sounds of it Dan.

I've noticed Black Tower, Blue Nun and Mateus Rose making a come back. Not sure if it's an ironic 70s thing. I quite like Mateus Rose like :(

I have a cellar. Got 18 bottles ready to drink this year which i put down 4 years ago.

Mainly pinot grigio.

If anybody's not getting the Alan Partridge/Tony Hayers BBC canteen scene in response to this theres something wrong with them.

Various Australian dry rieslings are some of my favourite wines, found some pretty nice ones from the likes of Oddbins for around £10. Goes lovely with a Chinese too. :(