Guest Rossay

I like sweets

I like going to the cinema

But what does it mean when it goes to the end. I have noticed this in many replies on the forum

Example:

Ive just looked at the total post count on here for all posters (I'm top 20 :() and you have double the posts of anyone else on here. 51000 :(

What the fuck were you looking at the that for :o

Bit of irony all round there like :(

Thank you.

its used here in south wales alot too. we also say "mun" its like a welsh lazy way of saying man just added onto everything e.g "what you doing mun?" "i need a shit mun"

is there any other examples of these words we add for no apparent reason around the uk be quite interesting to know?

No finite meaning really . But when think about it I think that broadly its used as an emphasis . Its dependent on context too.

"bit of irony there like" statement - 'if you ask me'

"where are you going like? " question (obviously) - 'im asking'

"he's a slippy bastard like" - 'Large Michael'

so.... who have newcastle got today like?

is this right?

Perfectly acceptable I'd say.

Another North-Eastern one is putting 'mind' on the end for emphasis. For example, "its going to be expensive you know" would become "its going to be expensive mind" Or more likely "its ganna be canny dear mind"

Canny is another one. I say it loads as well as like..... like.

Canny good, canny bad, canny shite, or just canny. But canny on its own can mean any of these depending how I say it.