New Zealand Earthquake

Gemmill

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit too close to home this. My sister and fiancee have just left Christchurch last week after spending 2 months there with work.

They had a big quake last September and were expecting a few small aftershocks in the following months. Theres talk of this quake being on a different faultline which is about as unlucky as you can get

I woke up in Christchurch this morning and got a bus from Cathedral Square around half nine. About three hours later I was in a town 140km away sitting in a shaking hostel. Completely crazy day.

Happy to see you've still got internet access.

:lol:

Hope everything's ok with you and yours, Kitman!

Thanks mate, we're all safe. I'm in Auckland (top of the North Island) so nowhere near the carnage down South. However we've plenty of folks in the office with loved ones there, including one girl whose Dad is trapped in a collapsed building, so it's been a difficult day. I'm sitting here watching the telly now, there's 65 dead, 200 trapped and it's pissing down with rain to boot. An absolute fucking disaster. NZ's a small place so everyone will be affected in some way.

It's particularly cruel because the town got hit with a big quake 6 months ago (and there's been loads of aftershocks since) but was just getting back on its feet. The place is totally trashed now, no power, no water, collapsed buildings everywhere. It'll be a long time till it's sorted, if at all. It could be the end of the town (NZ's second biggest city I think).

As it happens Auckland has something like 16 volcanoes, and I live near one that appeared out of the sea 800 years ago. We don't worry about earthquake here, it'll be pretty fucking biblical if the balloon goes up here!

Looks like I was 8000 mile oot then. I knew there was one coming. RIP to those who died, what Richter scale was it?

6.3. Not the biggest, but it was only 10 km from the city centre and only 5 km underground, so the impact was severe. Plus it struck at 1pm, so people were in the city centre and at work

Looks like I was 8000 mile oot then. I knew there was one coming. RIP to those who died, what Richter scale was it?

:lol: Knew there was one coming.

Aye, well, you only need to see Stevie's betting tips to know he's got the gift of second sight :lol:

:lol: Knew there was one coming.

Aye, well, you only need to see Stevie's betting tips to know he's got the gift of second sight :lol:

Leaving the match at half time is what confirmed it for me. :o

Guest LeazesLad
Anything you want, just things in public life, disasters, football anything, get your psychic heads on. Concentrate for a minute and visualise things. I sound like a fuckin loon, but I get so much right, September 11th I got right.

My three:

Something major will happen in Italy, a volcano going off or an earthquake

http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/austral...-detail-160254/

Is all I can say. Wish it hadn't have happened though.

Anything you want, just things in public life, disasters, football anything, get your psychic heads on. Concentrate for a minute and visualise things. I sound like a fuckin loon, but I get so much right, September 11th I got right.

My three:

I predict the sun will come out tomorrow.

Guest LeazesLad

My three:

I predict the sun will come out tomorrow.

What's the odds of someone predicting an earthquake? You tell me has the world had an absolutely major earthquake in the last 3 or 4 years, other than Haiti? Especially me using the phrase "in Italy". Surprised at your dimissiveness, but there's another example of the skills. Hope the death toll doesn't rise but I fear it inevitably will, thank fuck there's nee proper fault lines in the UK.

Guest LeazesLad
Christchurch's Italian quarter has been destroyed mind Stevie.

:lol: Makes you wonder what would happen to LA or San Francisco if one as big or bigger than this happened.

:lol: Makes you wonder what would happen to LA or San Francisco if one as big or bigger than this happened.

It's only a matter of time. It's the same fault line that runs into NZ apparently.

Edited by Kitman

The Pizza Delivery jobs Market would be thrown into turmoil.

Guest LeazesLad

It's only a matter of time. It's the same fault line that runs into NZ apparently.

Whey aye, it's the pacific rim plate, the ring of fire as it's known, fucks up NZ, Fiji, Japan, Alaska, USA, Mexico, Colombia, Chile, Peru - it's the Claudio Gentile of fault lines.