New Radiohead album out this Saturday

dbsweeney

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Telegraph reviewing track by track at the moment....

1. Bloom – an (almost literally) offbeat, understated, atmospheric opening, with stilted, jerky electronic percussion, a repetitive Glass-ian piano figure, swirling orchestral ambience over which floats Thom Yorke’s ethereal mumble. Simultaneously deeply weird and inviting, Bloom leaves me tingling with delicious anticipation. Which is, oddly enough, just about what you might expect.

2. Morning Mr Magpie – The lightness of the percussive drive seems to cross a kind of African marimba groove with an almost blues rock guitar chug, breaking down intermittently with flashes of south London dubstep ambience. “You’ve got some nerve coming here / you stole it all, give it back” sings Yorke, his sweet melodiousness giving the lie to the later accusation. “You took my melody.” Sinister and upbeat at the same time. They are (as ever) masters of musical dichotomy.

3. Little By Little – Tumbles down and spills out of the speakers, like an accidental collision of country music and free form jazz constructed around a climbing and falling bassline and more tingling toybox percussion. “I’m such a tease and you’re such a flirt” sings Yorke in a broken falsetto. Indeed. Even with reversed guitars and ghostly monk choruses humming deep in the background, there is a tenderness to this Radiohead album, so far, that suggests seduction rather than attack.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/c...um-review.html#

Cannit get into Grooveshark :lol:

Is it on there?

4. Feral – Instrumental that maintains the late night post-dubstep ambient intimacy blended with a light almost jazz-African percussive groove.

5. Lotus Flower – The single, and it’s a beauty. The bass lopes elegantly over a gentle, loose limbed drum pattern. Yorke’s singing is light and mellifluous, almost floating above the groove as he promises “I’ll set you free.” Spacey echoes lend a Pink Floyd trippiness, if you can imagine the Floyd remixed by Burial for a post clubbing chill out in an urban underground car park.

6. Codex – Sweet, sensitive piano, at a ballad pace, with the harmonic notes of horns and orchestra so distant as to barely intrude. Again, Yorke’s vocal is gentle and mellifluous, as he invites us to dive into clear waters. “No one gets hurt” he promises. Once Radiohead sounded like the last band standing after the apocalypse, but this has the lovely optimism and bold use of space as the most wide eyed future pop.

:lol:

It is quality, but I am intrigued to the rumour of it being the 2nd disk

the last track is called separator and there is 2 10" vinyls in that £30 package

probably nothing but would be ace if there was another disk

And the award for the most over-rated band of the past 20 years goes to...................

U2?

Even allowing for a couple of duds, 20 years includes Achtung Baby which pisses on all of the self-indulgent, masturbatory, knob-twiddling twaterry of Radiohead by a distance not measurable by humankind.

(Yes that's a bite)

1. Bloom – an (almost literally) offbeat, understated, atmospheric opening, with stilted, jerky electronic percussion, a repetitive Glass-ian piano figure, swirling orchestral ambience over which floats Thom Yorke’s ethereal mumble. Simultaneously deeply weird and inviting, Bloom leaves me tingling with delicious anticipation. Which is, oddly enough, just about what you might expect.

2. Morning Mr Magpie – The lightness of the percussive drive seems to cross a kind of African marimba groove with an almost blues rock guitar chug, breaking down intermittently with flashes of south London dubstep ambience. “You’ve got some nerve coming here / you stole it all, give it back” sings Yorke, his sweet melodiousness giving the lie to the later accusation. “You took my melody.” Sinister and upbeat at the same time. They are (as ever) masters of musical dichotomy.

3. Little By Little – Tumbles down and spills out of the speakers, like an accidental collision of country music and free form jazz constructed around a climbing and falling bassline and more tingling toybox percussion. “I’m such a tease and you’re such a flirt” sings Yorke in a broken falsetto. Indeed. Even with reversed guitars and ghostly monk choruses humming deep in the background, there is a tenderness to this Radiohead album, so far, that suggests seduction rather than attack.

Cannit get into Grooveshark :D

Is it on there?

You not gonna buy it? Only £6

I don't even consider them to be a band tbh.

agreed, it's bad enough they're canadian and get held up as the pinnacle of canadian music, thank christ the arcade fire have made it big now.

hopefully nickleback will fade into obscurity and we (canadians) can start quietly apologizing for them the same way we do with celine and brian adams.

Ah, but then there's Justin Bieber... :D

oh fuck he's a canuck too! i forgot about that, he's young i'm hoping for a lindsy lohan-esque spiral into oblivion. it'd be best for all involved really.

Edited by tooner

Cannit get into Grooveshark :D

Is it on there?

You not gonna buy it? Only £6

See the materialism thread.

Pre-ordered the cd.

Not paying for a download too.