3 months salary

tooner

good luck tooner!

How much did you spend in the end?

cheers!...spent loads of time scouring the net for the best deal, spent just under $2K. would have been more if i bought in canada which is why i went with a US seller, luckily i live 5 min from the border and had it delivered to a pick up in washington, went down to get some gas and picked it up, duty free so to speak. :lol:

edit....was feeling nervous about buying online, but the stone is nicer than anything i saw in person better cut quality and clarity as well, may have been due to choosing an oval cut instead of a round cut. oval looks bigger than a round of the same weight.

Edited by tooner

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok ring sorted, gonna pop the question this weekend. one more question though, should i be asking her dad for his permission to marry his daughter? is that an antiquated bit of hoop jumpery or a serious consideration? how many of you did this before proposing?

i'm nervous as fuck even though i know she'll say yes, so i'm over thinking this ....

its a nice touch, I did it, go ahead and do it. When my daughter decides to get married, I'd like whoever its going to be to ask me.

Edit. I would ask her first though, then probably tell her you want to ask her dad......not sure I did this, but I can't imagine asking her dad first then she says no ! And it might piss her off if you sort of took her answer for granted too.

fair enough but how do i keep it a 'surprise' and do all that, to me the surprise factor out weighs the uncertainty factor. i figure its all in the question asked, not for permission to propose, but rather for his blessing/best wishes for me to propose. that way the answer is not assumed.

cheers for the input

you might be right, asking for permission to propose, so long as you make it clear that this is what you are doing and you haven't asked her yet. It's up to you, I can't remember what I did now, its too long ago :lol: Best of luck.

Think I'm gonna have to take on a ball and chain myself relatively soon.

3 months salary seems ower the top like. I was reading 1 month salary....and even that was a myth started by De Beers to get people spending more on rings.

Also read that the value of the ring will drop 50% the day I buy it :lol:

Anyone recommend anywhere better than Elizabeth Duke, like a dealer, where that kind of loss is kept to a minimum?

3 months salary seems ower the top like. I was reading 1 month salary....and even that was a myth started by De Beers to get people spending more on rings.

Anyone recommend anywhere better than Elizabeth Duke, like a dealer, where that kind of loss is kept to a minimum?

Yeah Ratners, although i've heard its just cheap tat for tightarses who read the NOTW who cant be arsed to compare to far better rings at twice the price.

:D

Yeah Ratners, although i've heard its just cheap tat for tightarses who read the NOTW who cant be arsed to compare to far better rings at twice the price.

Perfick!

Also read that the value of the ring will drop 50% the day I buy it :(

well if it was a car it would be 30% and you actually can use it for sommat - clothes are even worse

Just remember - no one is perfect (and that includes you) - the key to a long term success is a bit of give and take

Good Luck!!

Just remember - no one is perfect (and that includes you) - the key to a long term success is a bit of give and take

Good Luck!!

wise words.

Well 2006, not that recently at all.

The constant fucking nagging from her family and others is grinding me down, in fact at this point I'm delaying it just so it doesn't look like I've 'given in'.

Edited by ewerk

The constant fucking nagging from her family and others is grinding me down, in fact at this point I'm delaying it just so it doesn't look like I've 'given in'.

I know you're not daft and you'll know yourself when you want to do something like this, but don't be pressured into getting married to any fucker. I honestly think mid-20s is too early to be getting married - you'll both be different people by the time you're 30.

Everyone's different like, but I'll be a fortnight shy of my 36th birthday when I get married later this year. :(

My mate is 21 and has been with his lass for years and she's been making not so subtle noises about bairns and moving in and marriage. The look on the poor bastard's face.

With all that said, good luck Tooner and Ewerk.

Aye 21 is crazy. Cunt punt required.

I know you're not daft and you'll know yourself when you want to do something like this, but don't be pressured into getting married to any fucker. I honestly think mid-20s is too early to be getting married - you'll both be different people by the time you're 30.

Everyone's different like, but I'll be a fortnight shy of my 36th birthday when I get married later this year. :(

Have you met the bride yet?

;)

agree with this 100%, i'll be 40 in Dec.

Have you met the bride yet?

;)

yes, it's one of the stepper machines down the gym

Job Done!!.....she said yes, had a lovely weekend in a beautiful secluded hotspring we had to ourselves, weekend couldn't have been any better.

thanks for all the input and well wishes.