Newcastle as it might have been

Tom_NUFC

1856blackgateextension.jpg

Proposed extension to the Black Gate museum, 1856

1875unionrooms.jpg

An alternative proposal for the Union Rooms from 1875

1885cityhall.jpg

A design for a new City Hall (as in Council HQ) from 1885. It was to have been built on the corner of Northumberland Street and Northumberland Road

1898collingwoodbuildings.jpg

An alternative Collingwood Buildings (Revolution) from 1898. Not massively different from what was actually built, though it lacks the domed tower shown in this design.

1906citycentre.jpg

1906 plans for City Centre regeneration

1925tynebridge.jpg

Proposed designs from 1925 for approaches to the Tyne Bridge (then still to be built).

nufcsjp1929.jpg

Plans for the redevelopment of St James' Park from 1929. Though the plans weren't fully realised, the redeveloped, covered Leazes End was built.

1930seldonsquaretownhall.jpg

Plans from the 1930s for a new Town Hall to be built by Eldon Square.

1945citycentre.jpg

1945 City Centre regeneration plans, with a new civic centre at Barras Bridge (but on the opposite side to where it was eventually built).

1945civiccentre.jpg

The plans for the 1945 Civic Centre itself

1960scitycentre.jpg

T Dan Smith's City Centre plans of the 1960s

nufcsjp1964.jpg

Plans for the redevelopment of St James' Park from 1964. Capacity 55,000

nufcsjp1968.jpg

Plans for the redevelopment of St James' Park from 1967. Capacity 63,000

1971quayside.jpg

Quayside redevelopment proposals from 1971

nufcsjp1972.jpg

Plans for the redevelopment of St James' Park from 1972. Though the plans weren't fully realised, the East Stand was built.

1980squayside.jpg

1980squayside2.jpg

1980s plans for redevelopment of the Quayside with restaurants and a shopping centre

nufcsjp1990.jpg

Plans from 1990 for a rebuilt St James' Park with a capacity of 45,000

nufcsjp1991.jpg

John Hall's 1991 plans for St James' Park. A sliding stand would allow for a flexible capacity of between 30,000 - 80,000. The stadium would also be able to accomodate indoor events such as Boxing, Basketball, Ice Hockey and Stage Shows, for which capacity could be further reduced to 20,000.

1996milenniumbridge.jpg

Sir Norman Foster's rejected 1996 design for the Milennium Bridge

nufccastleleazes.jpg

Castle Leazes Stadium, proposed by NUFC in 1997, with a capacity of up to 70,000

1999gallowgate.jpg

1999 plans for the Gallowgate - Percy Street junction

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

I was in favour of moving to be honest because I believed we could fill 70,000 we probably could then, and we needed it to grow. In hindsight am pleased we stayed SJP is the key part of our heritage we have a lush stadiums, regardless what jealous mackems say, and if we get back to where we should be, then we can still increase capacity to 63,500 iirc with development of the Gallowgate, that would dee 63s.

Excellent thread Tom.

By coincidence, was at Ma Fist's yesterday, looking thru old ciné films.

Some from 1963-4 of the city centre included Old Eldon Square (all 4 sides Georgian terraces), Greys Monument ( as a roundabout) and the Quayside.

Brilliant thread t0m. I've been looking for that photo of Castle Leazes for years.

In hindsight I'm glad we were forced to stay at St James'. It's nice to know that we're still playing at our home while many other clubs have fucked off to identikit stadiums on industrial estates outside the towns and cities they're meant to represent.

The Quayside olans looked canny. Remind me of Darling Harbor in Sydney

I think they looked mingin, looks like a bigger Swan House which is an eyesore to this day, but on the Quayside.

Great thread, Tom. Glad we went with the winning design for the Gateshead Millenium Bridge like.

Aye mint thread, always does good threads this fella.

It's always been a bone of contention with me that it's called GATESHEAD Millennium Bridge, it's as much ours as it is the Durham side.

I think they looked mingin, looks like a bigger Swan House which is an eyesore to this day, but on the Quayside.

I think he means the later pics. Agree about the one you're on about though. I like it as it is anyway, nice place to go for a stroll and we don't need / want another shopping centre anyway.

Great thread, Tom. Glad we went with the winning design for the Gateshead Millenium Bridge like.

Aye mint thread, always does good threads this fella.

It's always been a bone of contention with me that it's called GATESHEAD Millennium Bridge, it's as much ours as it is the Durham side.

My uncle worked for Gateshead Council for a long time and he told me it's the Gateshead Milleniun Bridge because it was their council's proposal and plan. They asked Newcastle to get onboard but they weren't interested. Newcastle Council only tried to get involved when they realised that the Gateshead Quays project and the bridge were going to be a success and were popular with the public. Gateshead (quite rightly tbf) told them to do one. That said, I think Newcastle got the best deal because that whole area is basically just an extension of our Quayside anyway.

I think he means the later pics. Agree about the one you're on about though. I like it as it is anyway, nice place to go for a stroll and we don't need / want another shopping centre anyway.

Aye this one

1980squayside2.jpg

I just think it's a bit underused. Do we really need another bar after bar after bar, then 100 yards of nowt before you get to ASK and P&P. Would have been nice to have a boardwalk with some decent shops/restaurants/cafe's. Especially now the Baltic/Sage are down there

There needs to be some serious questions asked about SJH's mental wellbeing when he proposed the 1991 plans for stadium expansion. I literally have no idea what's going on in that image :razz:

That wasn't the only time around that period he seemed about as sane as David Icke. About that time 89-92, he proposed we build a ground holding 80,000 in WASHINGTON to share with the mackems.

There needs to be some serious questions asked about SJH's mental wellbeing when he proposed the 1991 plans for stadium expansion. I literally have no idea what's going on in that image :razz:

That wasn't the only time around that period he seemed about as sane as David Icke. About that time 89-92, he proposed we build a ground holding 80,000 in WASHINGTON to share with the mackems.

Hoo, there's nowt wrong with Washington...apart from the obvious :(

Aye this one

1980squayside2.jpg

I just think it's a bit underused. Do we really need another bar after bar after bar, then 100 yards of nowt before you get to ASK and P&P. Would have been nice to have a boardwalk with some decent shops/restaurants/cafe's. Especially now the Baltic/Sage are down there

I fucking hate the Pitcher and Piano btw. Nice building though.

There needs to be some serious questions asked about SJH's mental wellbeing when he proposed the 1991 plans for stadium expansion. I literally have no idea what's going on in that image :lol:

Hoo, there's nowt wrong with Washington...apart from the obvious <_<

Washington isn't that bad, it's a bit up market from Crammy, I don't like new towns though, but Newcastle United in fucking Washington :lol: It's actually classed as City Of Sunderland.

There needs to be some serious questions asked about SJH's mental wellbeing when he proposed the 1991 plans for stadium expansion. I literally have no idea what's going on in that image :lol:

Washington isn't that bad, it's a bit up market from Crammy, I don't like new towns though, but Newcastle United in fucking Washington :lol: It's actually classed as City Of Sunderland.

If it wasn't for the success of Nissan I doubt even the Mackems would want us. Every year you can see gritters from Sunderland council go up the A1231, get to the Mill House roundabout and turn back. They never venture in to Washy. They're quite happy to have their name printed on our wheely bins though :angry:

You've obviously never been to the Galleries on a Saturday Morning. Makes the Bridges look like Rodeo Drive

Hoo, there's nowt wrong with Washington...apart from the obvious :angry:

You've obviously never been to the Galleries on a Saturday Morning. Makes the Bridges look like Rodeo Drive

Every fucker doing their best Verbal Kint impression because they're fiddling their disability <_<

Great post - very interesting stuff . Wouldnt mind knowing source/background on the post ?

(I studied quayside redevelopment in 90's and interested from a design and social history point of view)

This pic from an exhibition at Baltic a few years back, by American couple called Kozyndan .

Got a print of it at time - some clever references in it . Can scroll around in detail via link below

kosyndan-battleofthetyne.jpg

http://www.kozyndan.com/art/the-battle-on-the-river-tyne