The F1 2011 thread

Craig

Great to see Senna doing well and in that livery.

Whilst I don't condone what Maldanado did, on watching the incident again it became obvious that he pulled up alongside Lewis, probably made a gesture or something because of what Lewis did to him in Qualifying (and Monaco was it)? But in retaliation Lewis swerved his car at him first, then Maldanado did it back, only more forcefully. Watch it again.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm usually first to jump at Hamilton and his driving standards, but I don't find him at fault at all for the Maldonado incident. He did move to the right initially, yes but the natural racing line on the way down from La Source to Eau Rouge moves from left to right. He moves, then stops when he notices Maldonado there and hold up his hand as if to say "what?". at this point Maldonado swipes from right to left and totally against the racing line.

The incident today however with Kobayashi was Lewis fast asleep. He should have known Kamui was there and it was his own fault.

Brilliant drives from both Michael and Jenson today. Had qualifying not been fucked up, JB would have absolutely blitzed this whole race and by quite some margin. Make no mistake, Red Bull profitted from McLaren today rather than them being totally dominant.

One other comment. Despite it being their own down, you had to have a lot of sympathy for Adrian Newey today and the concerns he had about sending the drivers out on those tyres. People quickly forget that whilst he is one of the most successful aerodynamicists there's ever been, he's one of only two men living who have had a driver die whilst driving the F1 car he designed.

I'm usually first to jump at Hamilton and his driving standards, but I don't find him at fault at all for the Maldonado incident. He did move to the right initially, yes but the natural racing line on the way down from La Source to Eau Rouge moves from left to right. He moves, then stops when he notices Maldonado there and hold up his hand as if to say "what?". at this point Maldonado swipes from right to left and totally against the racing line.

The incident today however with Kobayashi was Lewis fast asleep. He should have known Kamui was there and it was his own fault.

Brilliant drives from both Michael and Jenson today. Had qualifying not been fucked up, JB would have absolutely blitzed this whole race and by quite some margin. Make no mistake, Red Bull profitted from McLaren today rather than them being totally dominant.

One other comment. Despite it being their own down, you had to have a lot of sympathy for Adrian Newey today and the concerns he had about sending the drivers out on those tyres. People quickly forget that whilst he is one of the most successful aerodynamicists there's ever been, he's one of only two men living who have had a driver die whilst driving the F1 car he designed.

i think kamui and hamilton are at fault aswel they both have the same driving style attack attack attack thats what i like about them unfortunately hamilton got took out by not seeing him.

button did drive a superb race deserved being higher up on the podium was finding it hard to watch watching the toon game and the race at the same time though so may of missed alot.

i dont know what it is abous MSC but i really like him now maybe because he aint boring me to death by winning everything and has found a sense of humour just love the attacking drivers i suppose probably why i hate vettel so much :D

I was watching the Indy race last night, and a few things struck me:

1. A few failed F1 drivers were doing OK. Bourdais, Andretti and Franchitti were racing. And wasn't Pantano an F1?

2. It has the same rule about using two different types of tyre, but who started that?

3. The cars have the shape of an F1 car circa 1990. They look primitive compared to F1 cars.

The commentators were crap too, but then almost all US commentators are.

• 4 weeks later...

Classless carry on from Lewis tbh. He tried to pull off a move that was never going to happen. Little wonder Massa is so fucked off because, as he rightly pointed out, it's happened time and again this season.

Shouldn't be forgotten that Massa came so close to dying in a Formula One car and as a result probably has a bigger awareness of the dangers involved than Lewis.

Shame really because that incident aside, it was a brilliant, hard-fought drive from Hamilton but was spoilt by one moment of ineptitude. I don't subscribe to the view that we should excuse him somewhat for not being able to see the front of his car either. Absolute horse-shit. They're all in the same boat and everyone else seems to manage OK.

And the "don't touch me!" was a suggestion that he knew he was in the wrong IYAM.

As for Vettel, as much as I cannot stand the smug git he's been in a class of his own all year and rightly deserves the crown. Jenson clearly best of the rest this year and I think it's only fitting that he's the only one who mathematically can still stop Seb.

Here's to hoping that 2012 is a closer year at the front. Lewis needs to screw his head back on if he's going to have any hopes of a second WDC though.

I've always wondered if there's much genuine dislike or disdain for each other amongst the drivers. There's always been this image of solidarity, like they all get on well with each other. F1 is such a sponsor-heavy sport that I guess portraying yourselves as as friendly as possible has to be expected.

I've always wondered if there's much genuine dislike or disdain for each other amongst the drivers. There's always been this image of solidarity, like they all get on well with each other. F1 is such a sponsor-heavy sport that I guess portraying yourselves as as friendly as possible has to be expected.

Always seems to me like Alonso isn't particularly popular.

We need to go back to the 80s where we had the likes of Piquet Snr acting like a complete and utter c*nt tbh. :nufc:

Because he couldn't beat Mansell on the track, Nelson simply became disparaging about his wife and kids. Can you imagine Hamilton's reaction if Alonso branded Nicole a whore? :nufc:

Alonso keeps himself to himself and therefore has this persona of not being very popular. Mind you, that's true of many of the great racers over the years, particularly in the 80s and 90s.

I think he's perhaps the most respected amongst his peers at the moment.

We need to go back to the 80s where we had the likes of Piquet Snr acting like a complete and utter c*nt tbh. :nufc:

Because he couldn't beat Mansell on the track, Nelson simply became disparaging about his wife and kids. Can you imagine Hamilton's reaction if Alonso branded Nicole a whore? :nufc:

I think Massa might be on the verge, one more dodgy move by Hamilton...

Alonso keeps himself to himself and therefore has this persona of not being very popular. Mind you, that's true of many of the great racers over the years, particularly in the 80s and 90s.

I dislike Alonso immensely but he'd be the one I'd happily race wheel to wheel with at the moment, he's tough but fair and you can see the others trust him. (on the track).

I dislike Alonso immensely but he'd be the one I'd happily race wheel to wheel with at the moment, he's tough but fair and you can see the others trust him. (on the track).

Agreed. Some less 'fair' drivers may well have taken either Vettel or Button off at the Curva Grande at the Italian GP a couple of weeks ago. Fernando didn't make it easy for either of them but he was totally fair.

1. Lewis should take a year out or move team when his contract expires. He's gone shit by his standards and needs to regain focus and stop doing stupid manouvers.

2. McLaren should give up developing this years' car and focus solely on next year. Same for Ferrari.

3. Massa needs to be replaced as the number 2 driver. He's just not the same driver post-accident. Would they take a punt on Di Resta or Senna? or try for someone higher profile?

4. Kimi Raikkonen wants to come back, but I cannot see which team he'd go for.

1. Lewis should take a year out or move team when his contract expires. He's gone shit by his standards and needs to regain focus and stop doing stupid manouvers.

2. McLaren should give up developing this years' car and focus solely on next year. Same for Ferrari.

3. Massa needs to be replaced as the number 2 driver. He's just not the same driver post-accident. Would they take a punt on Di Resta or Senna? or try for someone higher profile?

4. Kimi Raikkonen wants to come back, but I cannot see which team he'd go for.

1. Agree somewhat, although I doubt he'd come back as good. Either way he needs to spend the off-season getting his shit in order. He's been making stupid mistakes for 12 months now - threw any chance of the 2010 title (as well as this year's) away by driving into other people.

2. Ferrari for sure but I don't agree about McLaren. This year's WCC is still up for grabs and they've got to go for it. Seb might have walked yesterday's race but I still believe McLaren have the best race car.

3. Eddie Jordan commented yesterday that Di Resta is going to lead a team next - going to Ferrari will stiffle him something chronic as he'll undoubtedly play second fiddle to Alonso. I could easily see one of Sutil, Petrov, Kobayashi going there. But most likely I expect it to be Perez. He's part of Ferrari's young driver program (as was Massa years ago). Thing is, I think Ferrari wanted him to have another year at Sauber first.

4. He'll be in a Williams I'm sure of it. They're reforming the technical side of the team at present and will have a different engine supply in 2012. I think with Raikkonen on board they'll be much more competitive next year - somewhere between Renault & Force India I would suggest.

Rubens is allegedly on his way out isn't he? Shame as I like him, but I hope that Kimi and a new engine can help Williams. Sam Michael is on his way to McLaren too isn't he? What is his role at Williams? Perez might be a good shout for Ferrari for the reasons you state, and he likes chugging along without pitting, so he'd be happy just getting in the way of other drivers. I slightly disagree about McLaren, as their chances of a constructors title are quite slim, especially since Lewis is driving like a spaz, and Newey will probably start his scheming for next year very soon.

Rubens does seem like he's on his way. Been a bit of a journeyman ever since Jenson beat him in '09 tbh.

Sam Michael was Technical Director at Williams. Think he's something like Sporting Director at McLaren - bascially McLaren are getting him in to finally replace Dave Ryan (he who was dispensed with after encouraging Lewis to lie about letting Trulli through at Melbourne '09.

Newey will have designed a good car - of that there is no doubt. Wherever he's gone in the sport be it Leyton House, Williams, McLaren or Red Bull, he's built successful cars. All the likes of McLaren & Ferrari can ultimately hope for is reliability problems IMHO. Either that or buy Newey out of his contract! Actually on saying that I don't think Adrian will be around in F1 much longer. He's pretty much done it all and has now taken a low midfield team to the very front. I reckon he'll be designing either a new formula or move away from motorsport altogether - perhaps do similar to what Gordon Murray did.

Newey may want to join Ferrari, much like football players and managers want to join Real Madrid, but he may do what you say and design fancy road cars too. It makes you wonder who the next design genius will be once Newey does decide to do something else. I'd love him to rejoin Williams, but that won't happen.

And what is your views on the turbo engines coming in around 2013?

Newey may want to join Ferrari, much like football players and managers want to join Real Madrid, but he may do what you say and design fancy road cars too. It makes you wonder who the next design genius will be once Newey does decide to do something else. I'd love him to rejoin Williams, but that won't happen.

And what is your views on the turbo engines coming in around 2013?

Newey won't join Ferrari - why would he? Put Leyton House (who gave him his F1 platform) to one-side but lets not forget he had that car qualifying and finishing in the top 3. Look at the other 3 teams he's worked for:

Williams - one of the class of the field, he made them even better.

McLaren - fallen champions who had lost their way, his cars won Hakkinen back to back championships

Red Bull - new outfit born out of a massively struggling team who no-one wanted to buy (Jaguar). He's made them world beaters!

IMHO the only challenge left for him in F1 is to take one of the back-runners (Virgin, HRT or, ,more likely, Lotus) and turn them into something similar. I'd love to see him put the Lotus name back amongst the winners although even if he did join, sadly it'll not happen now Fernandes has reached agreement with Group Lotus.

It'll be either sports cars or road cars for him next. I don't think the road-legal F1 car he designed for Grand Turismo 5 was a coincidence.

As for the next design genius... in terms of aerodynamics, I doubt we'll ever see anyone in the same vein as Newey again.

As for Turbos coming back, I want to know the full deal. Does it mean an end to DRS? (Because the thought of DRS, KERS & Turbo boost frankly scares the shit out of me!)

I personally don't think they should ever have been banned back at the end of '88. They were an absolute bastard to handle and chucked in a bigger spanner in terms of reliability. I'm all for maximising the need for the drivers to be providing the input to the car. What I would ban is:

Semi-automatic gearboxes

Launch control (or clutch-bite-point-setting or whatever else they want to mask it up as)

Any form of traction control (including blown diffusers)

It's the premiere driving formula - make the fuckers work as hard as possible!

A road legal F1 car sounds terrifying.

Have there been any news about new engine manufacturers joining, or will we just have the four providers for the forseeable future? I miss the days where there were loads of different engines and teams. I'd also love a range of engine designs such as V8, V10 and V12 being allowed with turbos etc. The bigger engines would need bigger fuel tanks of course, which will be a challenge for the car designers to make a car that can cope with the extra weight. The variations would spice things up.

Edited by Billy Castell