The F1 2011 thread

Craig

Did any of you watch that Killer Years documentary on BBC2 last night? Harrowing stuff. Can't believe how dangerous the sport was in the 60s and 70s, seemed like every other dead driver was burned alive.

Some of the lacking safety features/logistics can't really be blamed on a lack of technology at the time, seems they just wanted to keep the costs down.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did any of you watch that Killer Years documentary on BBC2 last night? Harrowing stuff. Can't believe how dangerous the sport was in the 60s and 70s, seemed like every other dead driver was burned alive.

Some of the lacking safety features/logistics can't really be blamed on a lack of technology at the time, seems they just wanted to keep the costs down.

IMO it was more a uneducated belief that if they made the sport safer, they'd take the excitement away.

Jackie Stewart was the driving force behind safety back then. His motivation was simple - too many of his friends had died to easily doing the very thing he loved doing and that their deaths were in his opinion, avoidable.

JYS was almost castigated for his crusade for safety - many of his co-drivers and team owners constantly berated him. Yet today we applaud what he strived to achieve and it was the basis for his knighthood.

When you bear in mind the accidents that some of those suffered, particularly in the 70s, it doesn't bare thinking about:

Jochen Rindt - refused to wear crutch straps as he thought he'd escape quicker in the event of a fire. Crashed heavily at Monza, he slipped down into the cockpit and the shoulder straps cut through him.

Roger Williamson - crashed heavily at Zandvoort, car turned over fuel leaked and ignited. Stewards didn't have a clue what to do and only had water-filled extiguishers. Williamson burned to death in his cockpit despite the best intentions of fellow driver David Purley

Francois Cevert - crashed perpendicular to the armco at Watkins Glen. Piece of the armco effectively sliced him in two from his shoulder to his hip.

Helmut Koinigg - also crashed at Watkins Glen. The lower section of the armco buckled, the upper section did not. Koinigg's car passed under the upper section but his head did not. Helmut was decapitated and died instantly.

Tom Pryce - racing at the old Kyalami, the main straight of the circuit was massively undulating. Pryce's team mate retired on the straight and his car caught fire. 3 marshalls ran from the pit wall across the main straight to the retired car. The third one was carrying a full fire extinguisher but never saw Pryce coming down the straight due to the undulations. Pryce struck the marshall who passed through the steel rear wing of the car and was torn to shreds dying instantly. The extinguisher he was carrying struck Pryce in the head at 200mph killing him instantly. Pryce's foot was buried on the throttle and he carried on at full pelt down the main straight and into turn one collecting another car in the process. When it all came to rest on the outside of turn one, Pryce was found to be almost decapitated, the tub of his car laced with his blood.

Ronnie Peterson - had a big crash at Monza but was pulled from his burning car alive and concious but with badly broken legs. The doctors made the decision to operate on his legs far too soon and bone marrow seeped into his blood stream causing an embolism. Fat globules formed on his major organs (lungs liver & brain) and he died the following day.

Stewart is one of three men who I believe we can attribute the good safety record F1 has today to. The others being Sid Watkins (who insisted on bringing world class medical facilities to the sport - ensuring that there was the equivalent of an A&E clinic at all Formula One rated circuits) and Max Mosley.

I don't have a lot of time for Max but where he does stand out is what he did, not only for the sport, but for driving safety in general following the death of Ayrton Senna. Euro NCAP was all down to him. When he looked into vehicle safety post Imola 1994, he found that road cars were still being manufactured to safety policies not updated since 1974 - some 20 years previously. Side Impact Protection, Airbags as standard, chassis crumple zones, etc are all in every day use because of what he pushed through.

IMO it was more a uneducated belief that if they made the sport safer, they'd take the excitement away.

Agreed, that too. For a while that seemed to extend to where the spectators were situated and how unsafe things could be for them as well.

Apparently Stewart and others worked to make things safer not just for themselves, but for fans and even stewards (they gave stewards old fireproof overalls for instance).

Big rumour doing the rounds that Heidfeld is being dropped by Renault for the remainder of the season in favour of Bruno Senna.

A Senna in a black and gold Lotus Renault? That's going to invoke lots of memories.

Roger Williamson - crashed heavily at Zandvoort, car turned over fuel leaked and ignited. Stewards didn't have a clue what to do and only had water-filled extiguishers. Williamson burned to death in his cockpit despite the best intentions of fellow driver David Purley

I'd never actually seen this before last night. Probably the most disturbing of them all.

Hard to believe that it was left to one man (and a fellow driver at that) to try and save his friend's life. Apparently he actually choked to death, and would have been able to get out had Purley been helped in trying to right his car.

I'd never actually seen this before last night. Probably the most disturbing of them all.

Hard to believe that it was left to one man (and a fellow driver at that) to try and save his friend's life. Apparently he actually choked to death, and would have been able to get out had Purley been helped in trying to right his car.

You think??

Have a look at this one, particularly around 0:30.

Now, from a different angle...

Big rumour doing the rounds that Heidfeld is being dropped by Renault for the remainder of the season in favour of Bruno Senna.

A Senna in a black and gold Lotus Renault? That's going to invoke lots of memories.

Aww lump in the throat time again...

Going back to safety in racing. My son does circuit racing and chooses to wear a HANS device. Its not yet mandatory in his series. But it always amazes me how many don't use one. He raced at Rockingham this weekend and before that at Snetterton where his top speed was 142 mph. I know so many things can happen, but at least he is as protected as possible. I'm just relieved that neither he or my hubby have ever raced single seaters, because they are so much more dangerous.

I noticed they didn't ask Stewart about the Roger Williamson accident. Mr Safety Crusader was quite happy to keep driving past that particular crash (even though Purdy was frantically trying to wave passing cars down) because it helped him secure the world championship.

I noticed they didn't ask Stewart about the Roger Williamson accident. Mr Safety Crusader was quite happy to keep driving past that particular crash (even though Purdy was frantically trying to wave passing cars down) because it helped him secure the world championship.

I cannot stand the man. My son has his book and tells me to read it but I just can't because I'm not keen on him. And I know he did much for safety in F1 but there ya go!

The tartan troosers and the whole professional Scotsman schtick for a kick-off.

Just reminded me about the creation of the 'Stewart Racing' tartan... the vain bastard!

His son on the other hand is a thoroughly decent bloke.

Just reminded me about the creation of the 'Stewart Racing' tartan... the vain bastard!

The old footage of Graham Hill (on Parkinson I think) ripping the piss out of him is canny.

The old footage of Graham Hill (on Parkinson I think) ripping the piss out of him is canny.

tbf Graham Hill took the piss out of everybody and didn't give a fuck what he said on camera. Was it one of the Sports Personality of the Year awards where they interviewed him live from his hospital bed and said he had to go as he had a lovely young filly of a nurse to service! :razz:

tbf Graham Hill took the piss out of everybody and didn't give a fuck what he said on camera. Was it one of the Sports Personality of the Year awards where they interviewed him live from his hospital bed and said he had to go as he had a lovely young filly of a nurse to service! :icon_lol:

They took the piss out of each other tbf, I just prefer Hill :icon_lol:

I haven't seen the footage you're on about but that sounds about right. Hill always seemed like a throwback to an earlier era. Looked like Dick Dastardly as well.

tbf Graham Hill took the piss out of everybody and didn't give a fuck what he said on camera. Was it one of the Sports Personality of the Year awards where they interviewed him live from his hospital bed and said he had to go as he had a lovely young filly of a nurse to service! :icon_lol:

They took the piss out of each other tbf, I just prefer Hill :icon_lol:

I haven't seen the footage you're on about but that sounds about right. Hill always seemed like a throwback to an earlier era. Looked like Dick Dastardly as well.

Spot on!

cant believe maldonado drove into hamilton after qualifying two had finished

this is the only clip i have found of it on youtube i expect more to be up soon.

wont let me attach vid in here so heres the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhxXMQ2XJeU

better quality and sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXwFwm1s6MM

Edited by Welsh Magpie

tbf Graham Hill took the piss out of everybody and didn't give a fuck what he said on camera. Was it one of the Sports Personality of the Year awards where they interviewed him live from his hospital bed and said he had to go as he had a lovely young filly of a nurse to service! :D

They took the piss out of each other tbf, I just prefer Hill <_<

You're aware Dick Dastardly was modelled on him, right?

Wacky Races first aired in 1968, the year Hill won his second world championship.

Some thoughts after qualifying:

Maldanado should have the keys taken off him for the rest of the weekend for that petulent move on Hamilton. The chequered flag had been waved so they all should have been cruising back to the pits. There's no excuse. He's not only put himself & Hamilton in danger but also marshalls and the public. FIA can't be seen to look lightly on that.

Brilliant performance from Bruno Senna. Proved all his doubters wrong and looked like he'd been in the mix with these guys for years. Heidfeld should think twice about the legal action IMO. Senna has just qualified a whole second faster than the bloke Heidfeld has struggled to get anywhere near to.

McLaren should hang their heads in shame for bringing Button in. He was as diplomatic as ever in front of the camera but he was hiding nothing to me. He was on average the fastest out there all weekend and was a definite favourite for pole. Probably has rung the death toll on his WDC chances too.

Ferrari are struggling - on one of the better circuits. They always run well at Spa but they're miles off the pace.