The F1 2011 thread

Craig

BBC and Sky awarded rights in new Formula 1 deal

The BBC and Sky Sports will broadcast Formula 1 in the UK between 2012 and 2018 under a new rights deal.

The BBC has been the exclusive broadcaster of F1 in the UK since 2009 but its contract with Formula One Management was due to expire after the 2013 season.

Sky Sports will show every race, qualifying session and practice live.

BBC Sport will broadcast half the races live, as well as the qualifying and practice sessions from those races.

Both companies will broadcast in high definition.

Races screened by the BBC will be live on the BBC Sport website for UK users.

The BBC will have highlights on TV, online and mobile for any race it it is not showing live, and all races will be broadcast on BBC Radio 5 live.

Barbara Slater, director of BBC Sport, said: "We are absolutely delighted that F1 will remain on the BBC.

"The sport has never been more popular with TV audiences at a 10-year high and the BBC has always stated its commitment to the big national sporting moments.

"With this new deal not only have we delivered significant savings but we have also ensured that through our live and extended highlights coverage all the action continues to be available to licence-fee payers."

Races shown live on BBC TV will include the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, the Monaco GP and the concluding race of the season.

Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports, said: "This is fantastic news for F1 fans and Sky Sports will be the only place to follow every race live and in HD.

"We will give F1 the full Sky Sports treatment with a commitment to each race never seen before on UK television."

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really unhappy about this ;) Pissing SKY :o I hope this changes before 2013!! BBC will only have half the races?? What use is that? :angry: Like smo just said, bloody adverts again ;)

The BBC's coverage of F1 is spot on in every way, Sky will ruin it.

Really unhappy about this ;) Pissing SKY :o I hope this changes before 2013!! BBC will only have half the races?? What use is that? :angry: Like smo just said, bloody adverts again ;)

We're stuck with it til 2018.

Really unhappy about this :angry: Pissing SKY :o I hope this changes before 2013!! BBC will only have half the races?? What use is that? :angry: Like smo just said, bloody adverts again ;)

We're stuck with it til 2018.

There will be so many complaints I bet!

This means I will have to have Sky again too ;)

Lying fucking cunt Ecclestone. "So long as I'm in charge, Formula One will be available in the UK on 'free-to-view' channels."

Aye you bastard, when you said that we expected you meant ALL the races. Fucking joke - I'm livid about it and I bet Sky have some crazy idea that people will flock to pubs to watch it in the same way they do with football. It won't happen.

We've gone back to 1993 when we only got a handful of live races a season.

I'm even more livid with the BBC. It's not gone without notice to me that they're being quiet about the fact they had exclusive coverage until the end of 2013 yet the Sky deal starts in 2012. How fucking much have they sold that for!?!?!

Twats!

On the other hand, it could mean more of the lovely Georgie Thompson.

:o

Fuck that. If Charlotte Jackson gets the presenting job tho I'll be all over it like white on rice!

Cloud cuckoo land the pair of you... More likely to be a return of James Allen or someone of that ilk!

:o

Fuck that. If Charlotte Jackson gets the presenting job tho I'll be all over it like white on rice!

Cloud cuckoo land the pair of you... More likely to be a return of James Allen or someone of that ilk!

Smart money is on John Watson & Tony Jardine apparently.

Oh well, I shall enjoy the 10 races shown on the BBC ;)

God. It says on Jenson's website that he's had a car crash and is in critical condition. But on FB it says its fake as it's not in any other news and the picture of the crashed car is an old photo. How SICK is the person who did that?? :o

There are some twisted fuckwits out there Bev.

Brilliant win from JB today. Tell you what's pissing me off though, the media saying how Hamilton threw it all away either by putting inters on or by spinning in front of Di Resta. The fuck up was at the third pit-stop - Lewis put on another set of super-softs and everyone else around him put on the softs which would last to the end of the race. Even without the spin / putting on inters, Lewis had los the race at that point (or more accurately, when Button didn't put the same tyres on as him).

Just worked out that if Vettel finishes each of the remaining 8 races no higher than 3rd, he can still win the title by 5 points irrespective of what the others do.

How fucking depressing! :razz:

There are some twisted fuckwits out there Bev.

Brilliant win from JB today. Tell you what's pissing me off though, the media saying how Hamilton threw it all away either by putting inters on or by spinning in front of Di Resta. The fuck up was at the third pit-stop - Lewis put on another set of super-softs and everyone else around him put on the softs which would last to the end of the race. Even without the spin / putting on inters, Lewis had los the race at that point (or more accurately, when Button didn't put the same tyres on as him).

Exactly what I kept on saying! I thought Lewis had lost the race at that point, provided JB could last until the end of the race on the harder tyre....which he did! It was irrelevant what Lewis did after that really.

Really chuffed for JB. But like you say, its Vettel's year again :razz:

So Button-style then (except without a car that's suddenly not as dominant, one suspects/fears!).

Dipatch war rocket 'Webber' to fuck up his car...

...and Renault demonstrated admirably that those front exiting exhausts are a fucking death-trap. Remains to be seen but given its proximity, I'm guessing that 'small explosion' was the KERS batteries not liking the heat from what i presume was a cracked exhaust?

Come on Vettel what you playing at! Not happy with him, needs one more win imo to win the Championship.

(For anyone complaining about me liking him, Hamilton's a wanker and Button's boring, also I watched the GP at Japan where he was at Torro Rosso and pwned in the rain, loved him since then.)

Edited by CleeToonFan

...and Renault demonstrated admirably that those front exiting exhausts are a fucking death-trap. Remains to be seen but given its proximity, I'm guessing that 'small explosion' was the KERS batteries not liking the heat from what i presume was a cracked exhaust?

Yeah we reckoned it was the KERS batteries. Accident just waiting to happen!

Come on Vettel what you playing at! Not happy with him, needs one more win imo to win the Championship.

(For anyone complaining about me liking him, Hamilton's a wanker and Button's boring, also I watched the GP at Japan where he was at Torro Rosso and pwned in the rain, loved him since then.)

Fair enough! I don't dislike him like I dislike Alonso or Schumacher. He seems a good lad, but over the years I've always followed McLaren......and it's a bonus for me that they have two English drivers atm!

Plus as a Senna fan...Lewis is without doubt the nearest we have ever had to him.

:razz:

Surely they've got to put a pair of tits in the pit lane at least.

:razz:

Surely they've got to put a pair of tits in the pit lane at least.

Aye... James Allen will likely be one of them :lol:

Italy I think you'll find.. :lol: I think you'll also find that Hamilton 'pwned' in the rain in Japan that year :lol:

Not quite sure how you can call Button 'boring' like? :razz:

Fair enough! I don't dislike him like I dislike Alonso or Schumacher. He seems a good lad, but over the years I've always followed McLaren......and it's a bonus for me that they have two English drivers atm!

Plus as a Senna fan...Lewis is without doubt the nearest we have ever had to him.

Not a chance Bev. I'm afraid to say his biggest adversary is the nearest we've ever had to Senna. In a class of his own is Alonso IMHO.

Senna's true class showed when he was able to wring the bollocks out of a car that was absolute dogshit. The 93 McLaren was by far the best example. Should never have finished on the podium that thing, let alone achieve 5 wins.

The only time I've ever seen anything like it since was with Alonso in the 2008 Renault. Yes he was given a massive helping hand by 'crash-gate' but he still walked it despite having a vastly inferior car. He also won next time out in Japan IIRC. And for that matter I don't reckon the 2010 Ferrari was all that either yet he very nearly bagged the title. Lewis in a shit car is, sadly, distinctly average. Look at the first half of 2009 for proof. Lewis reminds me more of a younger version of Jean Alesi only Hamilton has generally had the better rub of the green with the cars at his disposal.

I can understand how he riles some people - particularly those partizan to McLaren and in particular Hamilton. But you cannot deny his talent.

Not a chance Bev. I'm afraid to say his biggest adversary is the nearest we've ever had to Senna. In a class of his own is Alonso IMHO.

Senna's true class showed when he was able to wring the bollocks out of a car that was absolute dogshit. The 93 McLaren was by far the best example. Should never have finished on the podium that thing, let alone achieve 5 wins.

The only time I've ever seen anything like it since was with Alonso in the 2008 Renault. Yes he was given a massive helping hand by 'crash-gate' but he still walked it despite having a vastly inferior car. He also won next time out in Japan IIRC. And for that matter I don't reckon the 2010 Ferrari was all that either yet he very nearly bagged the title. Lewis in a shit car is, sadly, distinctly average. Look at the first half of 2009 for proof. Lewis reminds me more of a younger version of Jean Alesi only Hamilton has generally had the better rub of the green with the cars at his disposal.

I can understand how he riles some people - particularly those partizan to McLaren and in particular Hamilton. But you cannot deny his talent.

The only trouble comparing Alonso to Senna is that the latter was respected by his peers; the former clearly is not.