The F1 2011 thread

Craig

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry - what bet do you want to make???

Well since you told us Bernie Ecclestone runs the sport and that he wanted to introduce sprinklers to create wet races in dry conditions I'd assumed you were saying that you thought this would happen. I'm willing to bet it won't. Of course if you're now accepting it was just bluster by him to take people's minds off the Dubai GP being cancelled then fine.

No - I just quoted the opinion of the poison dwarf as an example of why even the guy who owns the sport thinks it needs jazzing up

personally I think sprinklers would be the last step before long swords attached to the wheel hubs - good for bread & circuses but not much to do with sport

So basically you're agreeing with everyone else in the thread who said it won't happen and that it was a silly idea then? Glad we're all on the same page.

No - if the man at the top wants it it normally happens in F1 - I just said that I don't think it's one of his wisest ideas

I'm sure he'll listen to you Alex

For the last time Rob, he doesn't own the sport nor is he at the top.

The sport is owned and run the World Motor Sport Council which is a body of the FIA. The president is Jean Todt and it's he who is in control. Vice President is British but it's not Bernie - a fella called Graham Stoker.

Bernie is president and CEO of the following:

Formula One Management - Media distribution and promotional matters. Also maintains commercial rights to the team names.

Formula One Administration - Holds the commercial rights to Formula One. Rights that are granted to FOA by the FIA

Formula One Constructors' Association - Organisation of the constructors which Bernie heads up.

He holds no repsonsibility for the running of the sport itself - that's all down to the FIA.

The sport is owned and run the World Motor Sport Council which is a body of the FIA. The president is Jean Todt and it's he who is in control. Vice President is British but it's not Bernie - a fella called Graham Stoker.

Formula One Management - Media distribution and promotional matters. Also maintains commercial rights to the team names.

Formula One Administration - Holds the commercial rights to Formula One. Rights that are granted to FOA by the FIA

Formula One Constructors' Association - Organisation of the constructors which Bernie heads up.

He holds no repsonsibility for the running of the sport itself - that's all down to the FIA.

Is the FIA the Ferrari Innocent Always body ??

" His control of the sport, which grew from his pioneering the sale of television rights in the late 1970s, is chiefly financial, but under the terms of the Concorde Agreement he and his companies also manage the administration, setup and logistics of each Formula One Grand Prix"

Wikipedia says

I think this is a longer trailor of the new Senna movie than previously posted. I'm still not sure I will be able to go and see it though <_<

Senna Movie Trailor

One of my mates got a hooky copy of it and offered it to me but this is one film I want to go to the cinema to see.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13143365

Bernie Ecclestone dismisses reports of F1 sale

Bernie Ecclestone Ecclestone said selling F1 to a media company would restrict negotiations with rival broadcasters

Bernie Ecclestone has said reports that Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation is in talks to buy Formula 1 are "rubbish". Sky News said the media mogul's company could make a joint bid with Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim, who sponsors the Sauber team.

However, such a move could face regulatory hurdles and could breach F1's own Concorde Agreement with the teams.

Mr Ecclestone told the Times newspaper: "Formula One is not for sale." F1 is owned by the private equity firm CVC Partners, which paid about $1.7bn for the business in 2005. Any takeover would be subject to re-negotiating the Concorde Agreement, a commercial arrangement involving the racing teams, CVC and the sport's governing body, the FIA.

Mr Ecclestone told the Times on Wednesday that selling the business to News Corp would complicate F1's freedom to negotiate rights to screen the sport. "We would not sell to a media company because it would restrict the ability to negotiate with other broadcasters," he said.

--------------------------------

well he -sorry "we" - thinks they own F1...................

Edited by Rob W

Is Wikipedia your source for everything? :)

same as everyone else on here TBH Craig

still, an interesting point don't you think

Not at all. It outlines that he's in control of the commercial side of the sport. It in no way suggests that he has control over the rules and sporting regulations which he would have if he 'run the sport'.

• 3 weeks later...

Martin and DC were on form yesterday for the Qualifying show. Lots of chuckles, especially after Q3 when the camera was on Schumacher....DC said something like, 'Whats that on the wall there?......is it the writing! :icon_lol:

Anyone been to a F1 Grand Prix before?

I'm wanting to go to one, ideally abroad but don't want to be spending an absolute mint.

Was thinking Turkey might be a possibility, Spa is closer but is the circuit fan friendly? If memory serves me right its mostly woodland that the track covers therefore less seats undoubtably at a higher price perhaps?

Put off by the British GP as its apparently a nightmare getting to and from the track.

You'd have to get your skates on for Turkey. With regards to any incidents on the track, avoid Monaco, Valencia and Hungary as they are boring. Spa is in a forest, and very long, so you might miss some of the key dramas. This is from someone who has never been though. Interlagos looks the best one to go to for a party mind, but it is quite a long way.