• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fancy a bet?

"You to have 30+ posts in this thread by the end of April". Fiver? :icon_lol:

na - that's censorship in disguise

Who's disguising it? ;)

The Ferrari F92, designed by John Barnard in the early '90s, had a similar gap between the cockpit and the sidepods. It ran some sort of twin floor configuration if I remember rightly. I presume the idea was similar to what Renault and Mclaren are working on now; somehow speeding up the airflow, or decreasing the air pressure, under the car to create downforce and the grip that comes with it.

Anyway, in the F92's case it was a total disaster and didn't work at all. They scrapped it halfway through the season.

Ahhh but Barnard didn't design forward facing exhausts. The problem with the F92 I seem to remember was pitch sensitivity. Wasn't this the car that Alesi had to literally drag round behind him?

It still doesn't work in practice:

McLaren shelves radical exhaust

McLaren will introduce a 'simpler' exhaust system and new floor for the Australian Grand Prix after its troubled pre-season testing period - and hopes to gain over a second per lap from the changes.

The team has been off the pace and struggling for reliability during the winter, and team boss Martin Whitmarsh said during a Vodafone McLaren Mercedes phone-in conference that he had decided the only option was to shelve the MP4-26's radical exhaust.

"I'm not satisfied with where the car was on reliability or performance in the test," he said. "We have made some fairly dramatic changes, and those changes we will see in Australia. There's some risk in that, but I think it was the right thing to do and we're hopeful that that risk comes off and the car is a lot more competitive in Australia."

He said the exhaust and floor were the headline elements in a major change to the car.

"We have a completely new floor and a new exhaust system. There are a lot of other bits and pieces, but they're the clear and obvious ones that people will see in Australia."

Whitmarsh acknowledged that the original exhaust design had been too complex and had created too many reliability issues.

"I'd say it is a simpler design than we've had before," he said. "I think the exhaust systems have become quite extreme on quite a lot of the cars. I think we in particular had very extreme solutions.

"But I think that they were not delivering, in my opinion, sufficient benefits for their complexity.

"I believe that the car isn't fundamentally a bad car. I believe that we need to unlock the exhaust-blowing potential.

"We had some very creative ideas, some of which could have worked spectacularly well. But if they were to work spectacularly well then they had to be sufficiently durable to be raceable, and frankly some of our solutions weren't, and that's why I think we had to go back on it. But I think in doing so we found some interesting performance."

Whitmarsh admitted that going straight into the opening race of the season with such major changes on the car was a risk, but felt it was worthwhile given the performance gain he expects to see.

"I think it will still be a challenging weekend, but I'm hopeful that we'll put on more than a second in performance," he said.

"That's not what you like to do after a test like that, but I think it's the right decision, and if it wasn't then I'll have to put my hand up."

While unwilling to make firm predictions about where the revised McLaren could stand in Australia, he said the team would be aiming for victory.

"I can't make any predictions, but you always have the target of going to win races," Whitmarsh said. "I'm not predicting we're going to win it, I'm saying we're aiming to win it."

A whole pre-season testing schedule wasted, and now a compromised car for the rest of the year. This is going to take some pulling back.

My mate who works for Ilmor reckons they've been playing a deliberate ploy and they've got something up their sleeve.

It's a dangerous game with testing so limited but the word is Whitmarsh can't get the smile off his face.

Time will tell - I reckon it's a shoe-in for Red Bull in Australia like.

My mate who works for Ilmor reckons they've been playing a deliberate ploy and they've got something up their sleeve.

It's a dangerous game with testing so limited but the word is Whitmarsh can't get the smile off his face.

Time will tell - I reckon it's a shoe-in for Red Bull in Australia like.

Nah, I'm not buying that. No way would they go through all of testing running a decoy. They can't possibly have that much faith in their simulator can they??

I agree that the first race looks like Red Bull's to lose, but Ferrari have been working very hard on their reliability so I expect them to be there to pick up the pieces.

I'm not buying it either but the same bloke was cock-a-hoop about Brawn at the same time 2 years ago before they'd turned a wheel in testing and look what happened there.

Massive suggestion that they've been sandbagging and that the sim is telling them something. Apparently PDLR return to the test team has significance too according to him. Insider Pirelli info perhaps?

Sounds an odd thing to do in an era when testing is so limited. What do Ilmor make/do then? It rings a bell.

If true, then perhaps these forward exhaust pipes etc. were not part of the real design. It could have something to do with these 'risky changes'.

I'm not buying it either but the same bloke was cock-a-hoop about Brawn at the same time 2 years ago before they'd turned a wheel in testing and look what happened there.

Massive suggestion that they've been sandbagging and that the sim is telling them something. Apparently PDLR return to the test team has significance too according to him. Insider Pirelli info perhaps?

i was thinking about pedro going back to McLaren must have something todo with the tyres he will have invaluable info on them more than the teams can gather in a few tests.

also i really hope they are sandbagging but their reliability aint like it is usually few more problems this season roll on this weekend i'll be watching practice aswell

Sounds an odd thing to do in an era when testing is so limited. What do Ilmor make/do then? It rings a bell.

If true, then perhaps these forward exhaust pipes etc. were not part of the real design. It could have something to do with these 'risky changes'.

Ilmor design/make the Mercedes F1 racing engines.

Yes, Mclaren will certainly have a massive advantage with the inside info on the tyres.

As will Renault with Heidfeld going there. Merc must be kicking themselves about that one IMO.

Back to McLaren they've been playing the media for fools all winter. The car that the public 'built' at the launch was apparently housing an airflow system that they've not even considered but knew their rivals would be snap happy with it being on display.

They've got something up their sleeve I'm convinced. Not convinced it'll be enough to beat Red Bull or Ferrari though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/9432232.stm

Bernie Ecclestone stands by Formula 1 'fake rain' plans

Formula 1 chief Bernie Ecclestone says there is growing support for using sprinkler systems to wet F1 tracks in order to make races more entertaining.

Despite opposition from drivers such as Red Bull's Mark Webber, Ecclestone said: "There's no reason why sprinklers shouldn't happen.

"There's so much support because wet races are always the best by far."

Drop the rain idea, and get the F1 cars to have to negotiate taxi drivers (i.e. tossers who think they own the roads) all over the shop like the rest of us - that would be entertaining :jesuswept:

For anyone who enjoys F1 and model making, there's an advert on tv for making a McClaren F1 model. Looks canny. Go to buildamcclaren.com (I think that was the web add.)

Not even worthy of a response tbh. Typical Bernie propaganda.

he DOES run the sport..................

No he doesn't, he owns the commerical rights to the series. BIG difference.

The FIA & World Motorsport Council run the sport.

i think he is a grumpy bellend never seems happy and when brundle would try getting an interview (which im going to miss this season) he would just show some prince of akhbar ect ect... anyway roll on friday i'll be watching everything practice 123 qual and race cant wait.

i think he is a grumpy bellend never seems happy and when brundle would try getting an interview (which im going to miss this season) he would just show some prince of akhbar ect ect... anyway roll on friday i'll be watching everything practice 123 qual and race cant wait.

Whose doing the starting grid walk this year like? Or have they done away with it?

Whose doing the starting grid walk this year like? Or have they done away with it?

i think its the woman that does the other interviews cant remember her name.

:jesuswept::(:lol:<_<

At least dignify the thread with a worthwhile response. You made a claim that simply isn't true.

are you seriously saying that the FIA & World Motorsport Council have more say about what happens in F1 than the Poison Dwarf?

:jesuswept::(:lol:<_<

At least dignify the thread with a worthwhile response. You made a claim that simply isn't true.

are you seriously saying that the FIA & World Motorsport Council have more say about what happens in F1 than the Poison Dwarf?

It's fact man! He owns the commercial rights to the sport. We'd have gold, silver and bronze medals now if Bernie was in charge.

Doilum!