would you join a Supporters Club?

peasepud

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If we had an organisation that wasnt tied up with the dream of buying the club, wasnt political in the slightest and generally had no ambitions to force changes, speak to the press etc

But instead organised away trips, get togethers, talk ins and generally just created a togetherness of fans

Would you join?

Certainly. NUST lost its way when it became a trust.

It lost its way because of key decisions made by people who are running it (until March).

Nothing about being a Trust mandates the decisions that have been made.

All the things that the Trust hasn't been doing; holding meetings, laising with members, speaking to the press, being critical of the club's decisions are perfectly possible for a Trust to do; in fact Supporters Direct recommend doing all of them.

Edited by MichaelNUFC

I would if

* It was thoroughly transparent (you know how a social club gives its members a statement of affaird once a year?)

* It was a supporters club with no agenda against the club (just interests that help the fans)

Voted 'yes', mainly because I quite like the idea of it. Wouldn't be interested if it had anything to do with NUST though because, quite frankly, I wouldn't trust them with my subs.

I would if

* It was thoroughly transparent (you know how a social club gives its members a statement of affaird once a year?)

* It was a supporters club with no agenda against the club (just interests that help the fans)

Good point which I agree with.

I would if

Yes, I would join, but I would want it to start with a clean sheet, so not constantly complaining about yesterday, but hoping about tomorrow.

I would if

Yes, I would join, but I would want it to start with a clean sheet, so not constantly complaining about yesterday, but hoping about tomorrow.

Thats what I was meaning when I said

wasnt political in the slightest and generally had no ambitions to force changes, speak to the press etc

I think that should it take off and become a large organisation then the last point becomes very difficult to avoid but it would be something that is tackled at the time (with the inclusion of the members). If it got to that stage then I would hope it doesnt comment on anything minor but only the big things, Carroll sale an example. To facilitate this though I would love to see what I (unsuccessfully) tried to implement with NUST, a part of the members website that has simple polls like we do in threads here which is then used to gauge the general feel of the membership before making comment.

Rather than a chairman being called at 5pm on Monday night and asked what the SCs view is on the Carroll sale and him having to guess the general view he/she would be able to take a look at the current poll and say "well at this point in time it appears that our members arent happy about it". No definitive statement just a current view.

Id also hope that it could build links with the club, having the chance to talk to them about problems, what I mean by that is if fans have problems with facilities at SJP etc then the SC should be the place to collate them and raise through dealings with the club. Again something that appears to have been lost on NUST and is probably long gone now with the loss of Bill who had a good relationship with Simon Esland at the club.

if i'm honest i probably wouldn't, no. good luck with it though

Reasons?

dunno. just can't see myself getting that involved. i care about the club and what happens to it dearly but my involvement over the years has rarely stretched to more than attending a handful of games a season and posting on this forum. it's partially because i've lived down in london for about 10 years now. if i still lived back home i might be more engaged but i think it's mainly because i'm lazy. it's way easier to keep in touch with football matters by chatting on a forum than it is attending supporters' clubs meetings etc. arguably less productive too but i can't see myself changing, soz.

if i'm honest i probably wouldn't, no. good luck with it though

Reasons?

dunno. just can't see myself getting that involved. i care about the club and what happens to it dearly but my involvement over the years has rarely stretched to more than attending a handful of games a season and posting on this forum. it's partially because i've lived down in london for about 10 years now. if i still lived back home i might be more engaged but i think it's mainly because i'm lazy. it's way easier to keep in touch with football matters by chatting on a forum than it is attending supporters' clubs meetings etc. arguably less productive too but i can't see myself changing, soz.

Thats understandable, I wasnt meaning my question as a "why the hell not like?" but just so we can gauge if it needed to be something else to what was envisaged. What I would say though is that being OOT and part of these things can often give a closer feeling of being involved in the club. A large proportion of NUST members are not in North East.

Off the top of my head though I wouldnt see any reason for the subs to be the tenner that NUST charge. One of the reasons I argued for a proper fee for NUST was because it had "politcial" aspirations and therefore could be influenced wrongly by makems etc if there wasnt a membership fee. At the same time you need some sort of fee to allow you to negotiate discounts with travel firms etc and organise events.

Anyone know if theres any pubs for sale?