Egyptian revolution gathers pace.

Park Life

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting brainstorming session/limp-wristed licence fee-funded wank [delete as applicable]:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/paulm...ts_kicking.html

Twenty reasons why it's kicking off everywhere.................

Really interesting stuff there.

Fascinating to see where this is going to lead - not just Egypt but the whole of the middle east. What it means for Israel is anybodies guess.

I still don't know if what we are seeing here is a popular uprising or a military coup, I'm relieved and impressed by the lack of violence so far, I hope it stays that way obviously.

1 .To think that two weeks ago I was predicting to KSA that this could never succeed in Cairo. Mubarak was thought to be a monolith, like the other 'untouchable' rulers of the ME - I think they will be quaking in their palaces this afternoon! With any luck the fucking Saudis will be next.

2. But this isn't over by any means. Don't be surprised at all if this is just a shrewd move by the army to sacrifice someone whose position had become untenable, only to replace him with Omar Suleiman, who's just another Mubarak clone, to continue an effective military dictatorship. Mubarak may have gone but the problems of Egypt have not.

3. I'll leave the pessimism aside for a little while and celebrate this though. Egypt is free! Masr harra! :icon_lol:

1. Yeah, what did I tell you?

2. No shit. Suleiman is a disgrace and a shill for the regime. There will be many problems for Egypt for a long time. But this is a start, and it has been brought upon via popular revolt: an effort which should be applauded, imo.

3. About time mate.

I do think the army will try to hang on to power, with the younger, lower ranks being more open to genuine democratic changes. The generals will want a sham, and to pull the strings and get rich. Then, there will be another stalemate.

fascinating to watch what happens next. arab leaders across the middle east will be sweating on today's events. i tip syria to be next to fall.

Hmmm - they are a lot tougher then the Egyptians - smaller population & a bigger security service as well

and Young Assad is thought to be a lot better than his old man

Most of the others will be opening the subsidy taps as fast as they can go

If I had to bet it would be Algeria - another country with misspent oil wealth and a very large underemployed youth population

I do think the army will try to hang on to power, with the younger, lower ranks being more open to genuine democratic changes. The generals will want a sham, and to pull the strings and get rich. Then, there will be another stalemate.

the last time the Egyptian Army's younger ranks acted we got Nasser

They won't be sweating as much as the Daily Express. They'll be shitting themselves over how the chaos will push up petrol prices, and how it will affect Princess Diana and William's upcoming wedding.

:lol:

They won't be sweating as much as the Daily Express. They'll be shitting themselves over how the chaos will push up petrol prices, and how it will affect Princess Diana and William's upcoming wedding.

:lol::razz::icon_lol:

Now Tunisia, Lybia, Egypt, Bahrain and Yemen have experienced all these problems, now is a good time to invest in companies that produce pain killers and incontient pants. Why? because all the readers of The Daily Mail and The Daily Express will be in such a fearful rage about the 45.7 million asylum seekers that will come over in pirated container ships.

So, who is next then? We have Algeria, Jordan, Bahrain, Libya, Yemen, Iran and Kuwait. My money is on Bahrain, it seems to have gone too far with the police using live bullets, protesters demanding the monarchy to go etc. The Colonel is too ruthless to be ousted by protests in Libya and is not afraid of sending in the tanks.

I know its way too early to say anything definate, but it does have echoes of when the Warsaw pact crumbled.

My mates just told me he's booking a holiday in Tunisia for the end of June. It was cheap, but... :D

Thanks for sharing.

Do you reckon all will be well there now, or is there still potential for it to kick off?

It will be fine till your mate arrives.

My mates just told me he's booking a holiday in Tunisia for the end of June. It was cheap, but... :D

It'll be a workers paradise by then - no toilet paper or booze but hey..........................

Sounds like the Libyans have seen what's gone on in Egypt and wanted a piece for themselves...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12477275

Can't see Gaddafi standing for it in the same way Mubarak did - reckon there'll be hell on.

Latest reports suggest that an estimated 500 Libyans have been murdered by Gaddafi since the uprising began :D

There is also an uprising in Kurdistan. Police have shot at people and the Government are stopping doctors from treating people. 5 People have been killed and more than 70 injured.

Whats the world come to?