Stable Financial Footing

trophyshy

You just claimed I called you a WUM. In fact, I said the exact opposite.

Do you at least see what I'm getting at about comprehension?

shame you don't compehend ambition when it stares you in the face.

We will not get back into the Champions League ie near thetop of the league again until we get owners like the Halls and Shepherd again.

No we won't. The game has moved on to such dizzying heights that we it takes more than a couple of reasonably successful local businessmen to get a club up and running. Nor would we have the benefit of 'riding the wave' of the early PL years. It's a mature market now, with firmly established big hitters. Man City have demonstrated the wedge required to make even half an impact.

We won't be in the CL any time soon- not just down to the failings of our slapstick owner, but the depth of the pockets of others.

I know that 2 clubs in particular are being bankrolled, and ManU have a global appeal Matt - I've said this before - but it is no excuse for dragging us down to where we are competing at the levels of Bolton, Stoke etc, in fact you could even argue that Stoke have shown more ambition than us. They currently have more than a couple of players, especially strikers, who would walk into the NUFC team now.

Edited by LeazesMag

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you don't manage to draw someone into the more futile stages of a 'debate' you go mental and call them a "tosser" :( . It just looks proper needy and inadequate tbh.

Anyway I associated myself with Matt's comment, so the 'response' is already out there, I simply chose not to expand on it because you'd just read things into my post that werent there anyway. :rolleyes:

Well, I think complaining about being "embarrassed" at supporting a football team playing in europe, or the actions of another individual, shows an extreme case of over-sensitivity, were you in tears, or close to tears ?

You still don't answer the rest of my earlier post, and your fairy godmother is still not here yet. Do you need your fairy godmother, because it certainly looks like they feel you need them ?

You should try and get this thread back on course, instead of choosing to jump in and respond to me, again, in the obsessed way that you do.

Ok Leazes, I will attempt to respond to you as you demand, but also not respond to you at the same time. Just as soon as that becomes humanly possible.

You're going to have to move on at some point. Genuinely.

I know that 2 clubs in particular are being bankrolled, and ManU have a global appeal Matt - I've said this before - but it is no excuse for dragging us down to where we are competing at the levels of Bolton, Stoke etc, in fact you could even argue that Stoke have shown more ambition than us. They currently have more than a couple of players, especially strikers, who would walk into the NUFC team now.

Ashley has no interest in ambition though, we know that. He wants to keep us in the league, claw back as much of the cash he lost through his own stupidity and try to reduce the wage bill to the point where a new owner can start afresh with a low cost base. We're in PL purgatory. Our inability to sign a striker in the summer or Jan, then to sell our only decent one beggars belief.

I reckon anyone on more than £30k is a target for sale this summer.

Ashley has no interest in ambition though, we know that. He wants to keep us in the league, claw back as much of the cash he lost through his own stupidity and try to reduce the wage bill to the point where a new owner can start afresh with a low cost base. We're in PL purgatory. Our inability to sign a striker in the summer or Jan, then to sell our only decent one beggars belief.

I reckon anyone on more than £30k is a target for sale this summer.

yep

:( Tragic.

Tell you what Leazes, why don't you tell us how you'd like the club to show ambition? If this involves buying players, perhaps you could tell us, an insolvent club, how you would like us to finance these deals.

Probs already been posted but...

http://twitter.com/caulkinthetimes

Pardew let slip that the £35m he can spend this summer covers both fees AND wages.So not quite such a big war-chest then.Unsurprising

Knew it's been too good to be true. :(

I know it's a long shot but maybe that's just a way of stopping us getting our eyes taken out. I mean if we promise to be spending £35m on transfer fees we're going to be getting £35m quotes on players. For the record I'm not saying that this is definitely what the case is, it could easily be that we spend nothing.

Pardew let slip that the £35m he can spend this summer covers both fees AND wages.So not quite such a big war-chest then.Unsurprising

I know it's a long shot but maybe that's just a way of stopping us getting our eyes taken out. I mean if we promise to be spending £35m on transfer fees we're going to be getting £35m quotes on players. For the record I'm not saying that this is definitely what the case is, it could easily be that we spend nothing.

It's the longest of long shots. Everyone knows how we operate these days, loans and bargains

It's the longest of long shots. Everyone knows how we operate these days, loans and bargains

Getting value for money really isn't something we should criticise. Even with a £40m warchest, I'd rather get 4 £10m players with a true value of up to 15m each than two £20m players with a true value of £15m.

Knew it's been too good to be true. :rolleyes:

Getting value for money really isn't something we should criticise. Even with a £40m warchest, I'd rather get 4 £10m players with a true value of up to 15m each than two £20m players with a true value of £15m.

But the facts are we aint even going to get one £10m player, never mind 4. What the hell have you been smoking, i want a turn on it :(

Knew it's been too good to be true. :friends:

But the facts are we aint even going to get one £10m player, never mind 4. What the hell have you been smoking, i want a turn on it :rolleyes:

Hows that a fact like? I was speaking theoretically btw, you don't need to smoke what I've been smoking, it'll make you even less intelligent :(

Edited by AshleysSkidMark

Pardew hopes Newcastle will not sell out in future

Alan Pardew has warned it could take two years of rebuilding before Newcastle have the financial might to stop a repeat of Andy Carroll’s exit.

The United chief drew a line under Carroll’s £35 milllion exit yesterday insisting his players were “resilient” - and since the defeat to Fulham had “resolved to get over a bad defeat and a bad transfer window.”

Pardew has had personal assurances from owner Mike Ashley that he will get the transfer cash to spend in the summer.

It is his “ambition” is to get Newcastle in a position they do not have to sell their top assets, and can afford the sort of wages offered by the big five for the right players.

Pardew is hoping Joey Barton will sign a new contract next week, which will represent a pay cut on his existing deal. Spanish left back Jose Enrique has also indicated he will extend his contract, which has a year to run, if Newcastle stay in the top flight.

But the United boss is working under financial constraints that means they were blown out of the water by Liverpool offering Andy Carroll £75,000 a week - a near five fold pay-rise for the Gateshead-born striker.

Pardew, whose side faces Arsenal today said: “I do not want to go back to Andy. I want to move on but my view of it is that (Ashley and Derek Llambias) made me aware that they wanted to get the club on a financial footing which gives them a chance to build the club.

“Signing younger players and hoping they become successful in the Premier League is part of the policy of growing as a club.

“Now ideally you would like to keep someone like Andy Carroll, a young player who is from the area. Financially we could not keep him.

“But we like to think, or I like to think, certainly I have that ambition, that in two or three years time, if we can sustain our Premier League status, and keep getting the TV money invested wisely, that we can keep hold off that next bid, which might be, say, for Cheik Tiote in 18 months time.

“That we get ourselves in a position to do that because at the moment we’re not and we have to accept that.

“It has been a difficult week and I am not trying to disguise it. I thought fans’ response against Fulham was more than I could have expected. Regardless of the manager or the owners, or even the players, it is their club and I just hope they come and support their club.

“We all have to live with the decision, us as a coaching staff and us as a football team. We have to live with the decision we made this week. We have got to get on with it.”

Barton was expected to pen his new deal on Monday but Pardew added: “I have got nothing concrete to report. We are obviously aware of their contract situations and will focus on those. I am pretty confident that Joey’s will get sorted out next week. There was a little bit going on this week which distracted us!

“On Jose I think it is fairly straightforward. Jose has expressed that once we are safe in the division, he would like to sit down with us. We are fine with that. That’s his option of course. There are always two options I was disappointed with the goal (against Fulham) because wow, what a performance he put in on that pitch. If he can stay in that form, we have a fantastic player.”

Newcastle’s other top asset is Tiote, and asked about the prospect of keeping the bargain £3.5 million buy, Pardew said: “I am hoping there are no bids, otherwise we will have a problem. He is a very important player, very talented and someone we will embrace to be a big part of our future.”

Pardew is exploring signing a free agent, with Jeremie Aliadiere who he coached at West Ham, available. He added: “Yeah, we are exploring that. I have looked at our bench in terms of attacking options to change the game or put a different picture on the pitch. I need to explore that thoroughly and there are one or two options we can take and we are on to them. That is all I can report.”

Pardew has recalled Hatem Ben Arfa from his rehabilitation programme in France so he can get fit again “with the group”. He added: “We are going to need him in the March, April May period. He is not doing full running yet, just jogging. We need him embedded into the group. It is about being together, we are all in this together whether you are injured or not. I want to see a bit more of him out on that training ground.”

An honest if disturbing short term outlook.

Guest Your Name Here

Knew it's been too good to be true. :friends:

But the facts are we aint even going to get one £10m player, never mind 4. What the hell have you been smoking, i want a turn on it :rolleyes:

Hows that a fact like? I was speaking theoretically btw, you don't need to smoke what I've been smoking, it'll make you even less intelligent :(

Our wage structure? What kind of weekly pay packet do £10m+ players expect nowadays?

Guest Your Name Here
Carroll on about 20kpw then?

We're fucked with this model, we'll only have those that no one else wants.

Colo cost £10m and he’s on something like £80kpw. You don’t get as much for £10m as you did when we signed Colo but it’s doubtful a £10m+ player would sign for anything less than£50kpw. The other factor is agent fees and the club’s reluctance to pay them. Agents are the scum of the earth but right now if they don’t get their cut you don’t get your man and the more expensive the player the bigger the cut.

If the Carroll money is being used to cover the transfer fee, wages and agent fees we’ll be lucky to 1½ ten million dollar men with £35m.

Colo cost £10m and he’s on something like £80kpw. You don’t get as much for £10m as you did when we signed Colo but it’s doubtful a £10m+ player would sign for anything less than£50kpw. The other factor is agent fees and the club’s reluctance to pay them. Agents are the scum of the earth but right now if they don’t get their cut you don’t get your man and the more expensive the player the bigger the cut.

If the Carroll money is being used to cover the transfer fee, wages and agent fees we’ll be lucky to 1½ ten million dollar men with £35m.

or 2½ of these maybe.. :(

the_six_million_dollar_man_image_04.jpg

Knew it's been too good to be true. :icon_lol:

Our wage structure? What kind of weekly pay packet do £10m+ players expect nowadays?

It's relative to their current earnings I'd say. Or were you expecting me to put an exact figure on what a £10m+ player earns? Because they're all on the exact same wage :friends: And if, as stated, the money we got from Carroll would contribute towards contracts, I'm fairly confident that if we signed a player for £10m+, we could push the boat out a little further.

Disagree with that too. I think if anything, barring obvious exceptions where the likes of Chelsea, Man City and Madrid are involved, the market has calmed a little in terms of transfer fees.

It's a load of bollocks.

Carroll was the kind of player you get once in a blue moon and we got him for nothing.

I'm all for being more careful who we bring in but they're dreaming if they think we can build a decent side when they keep cashing in.

Guest Your Name Here

Knew it's been too good to be true. :icon_lol:

It's relative to their current earnings I'd say. Or were you expecting me to put an exact figure on what a £10m+ player earns? Because they're all on the exact same wage :friends: And if, as stated, the money we got from Carroll would contribute towards contracts, I'm fairly confident that if we signed a player for £10m+, we could push the boat out a little further.

Yes, I was excepting you to know exactly what every player in the PL earns. :icon_lol:

Another problem we’ll face is competition from other clubs. Players of proven quality are going to be wanted by clubs of some stature. Are we going to able to compete with the wage structure of clubs like Villa?

We won’t know how this is going to pan out until the last day of the summer transfer window, but that’s the thing with FMA. We’re also waiting for something and no sooner does it arrive than there’s another huge question mark on the horizon. He’s just stringing us along.

Guest Your Name Here
It's a load of bollocks.

Carroll was the kind of player you get once in a blue moon and we got him for nothing.

I'm all for being more careful who we bring in but they're dreaming if they think we can build a decent side when they keep cashing in.

It certainly is. It’ll be years (if ever) before we’ll able to get a player of Carrols quality in. Yet we had him tied down on a five year contract on wages that fitted into the blessed wage structure. Selling him was a stupid short term decision.

This stable financial footing Ashley claims to be putting us on.

1. Do you believe it? i.e. that MA is working toward making NUFC more sustainable?

2. Will it be a platform to challenge or is it merely to engineer profit?

3. If the football bubble ever does burst (I don't think it will) will we really be in a better position to exploit the post-bubble neo-prem?

4. Once he has this stable footing, how many years of that before we will compete again, if ever? I mean how many years of uncompetitive stability before even the MA backers realise he is never going to show ambition or win anything, or will we actually push on and how long may that take?

5. What price do you think he would take for the club now? You have to factor in the ££££'s free advertising his company is getting too....how much for his international billboard? Is Sports Direct expanding internationally? That would make his continued 'sponsorship' highly valuable and very cheap.

6. And so we can have a laugh in September, what amount of £35m will be spent on transfer fees in the summer?

No guarantees, [with this man in charge] post guidelines/rules dictating what a club can spend to a limit [fees & wages] based on club income - particularly as to whether we'll receive a lift back towards the top pack, due to the top spenders being reigned in in accordance to the above mentioned guidelines.

Looking at how how the salary cap works in the United States [the NFL], some owners routinely operate well below the cap & profit gauge off of what the governing body equally allocates to each club ie. television revenue. Factor in gate receipts it can be quite a profitable enterprise for some club owners. Although it's an ever running battle, but the free agency market [as to what owners spend on top players when they become available], and how owners perpetually squeeze their wage bill into the cap is a calling card re:ambition, its the true yardstick of a club's ambition over in the States.

The antithesis to this being The Bidwells, in Pheonix, who for many years [pre: the new stadium years] were well known for their penny-pinching ways, and for a long time were relatively low spenders in the free agency market, and during such time were known as the joke & most unambitious club in it's league. They really made a mockery of the highly marketable Pacific-Mid West region for a long time.

I suspect Ashley will do the same, with smaller clubs [like the Wigans & the Brums etc.... with smaller spending caps/limits] actually trying harder to retain their respective premiership status', in terms of expenditure, as opposed to hoping for mere survival whilst running in theme to a business [or retail/corporate based] plan based around maintaining a skeletal budget [re; 1st team investment] & asset stripping.

Edited by Year Zero

Alan Pardew has warned it could take two years of rebuilding before Newcastle have the financial might to stop a repeat of Andy Carroll’s exit.

The United chief drew a line under Carroll’s £35 milllion exit yesterday insisting his players were “resilient” - and since the defeat to Fulham had “resolved to get over a bad defeat and a bad transfer window.”

Pardew has had personal assurances from owner Mike Ashley that he will get the transfer cash to spend in the summer.

It is his “ambition” is to get Newcastle in a position they do not have to sell their top assets, and can afford the sort of wages offered by the big five for the right players.

Pardew is hoping Joey Barton will sign a new contract next week, which will represent a pay cut on his existing deal. Spanish left back Jose Enrique has also indicated he will extend his contract, which has a year to run, if Newcastle stay in the top flight.

But the United boss is working under financial constraints that means they were blown out of the water by Liverpool offering Andy Carroll £75,000 a week - a near five fold pay-rise for the Gateshead-born striker.

Pardew, whose side faces Arsenal today said: “I do not want to go back to Andy. I want to move on but my view of it is that (Ashley and Derek Llambias) made me aware that they wanted to get the club on a financial footing which gives them a chance to build the club.

“Signing younger players and hoping they become successful in the Premier League is part of the policy of growing as a club.

“Now ideally you would like to keep someone like Andy Carroll, a young player who is from the area. Financially we could not keep him.

“But we like to think, or I like to think, certainly I have that ambition, that in two or three years time, if we can sustain our Premier League status, and keep getting the TV money invested wisely, that we can keep hold off that next bid, which might be, say, for Cheik Tiote in 18 months time.

“That we get ourselves in a position to do that because at the moment we’re not and we have to accept that.

“It has been a difficult week and I am not trying to disguise it. I thought fans’ response against Fulham was more than I could have expected. Regardless of the manager or the owners, or even the players, it is their club and I just hope they come and support their club.

“We all have to live with the decision, us as a coaching staff and us as a football team. We have to live with the decision we made this week. We have got to get on with it.”

Barton was expected to pen his new deal on Monday but Pardew added: “I have got nothing concrete to report. We are obviously aware of their contract situations and will focus on those. I am pretty confident that Joey’s will get sorted out next week. There was a little bit going on this week which distracted us!

“On Jose I think it is fairly straightforward. Jose has expressed that once we are safe in the division, he would like to sit down with us. We are fine with that. That’s his option of course. There are always two options I was disappointed with the goal (against Fulham) because wow, what a performance he put in on that pitch. If he can stay in that form, we have a fantastic player.”

Newcastle’s other top asset is Tiote, and asked about the prospect of keeping the bargain £3.5 million buy, Pardew said: “I am hoping there are no bids, otherwise we will have a problem. He is a very important player, very talented and someone we will embrace to be a big part of our future.”

Pardew is exploring signing a free agent, with Jeremie Aliadiere who he coached at West Ham, available. He added: “Yeah, we are exploring that. I have looked at our bench in terms of attacking options to change the game or put a different picture on the pitch. I need to explore that thoroughly and there are one or two options we can take and we are on to them. That is all I can report.”

Pardew has recalled Hatem Ben Arfa from his rehabilitation programme in France so he can get fit again “with the group”. He added: “We are going to need him in the March, April May period. He is not doing full running yet, just jogging. We need him embedded into the group. It is about being together, we are all in this together whether you are injured or not. I want to see a bit more of him out on that training ground.”

How are they, NUFC, going to keep anyone if all the player has to do to get away is to put in a transfer request????

Carrollgate will just happen time and time again, once clubs wave the cheque book in front of would-be signings. The Arsenal model (buy cheap, sell mucho) will reign supreme at St James'.

How are they, NUFC, going to keep anyone if all the player has to do to get away is to put in a transfer request????

Carrollgate will just happen time and time again, once clubs wave the cheque book in front of would-be signings. The Arsenal model (buy cheap, sell mucho) will reign supreme at St James'.

The biggest myth going around at the minute, the comparison is offensive tbh.

Arsenal selling their top players [to bigger clubs on the continent ie. Overmarrs, Viera & Petit] has also coincided with a need for generational change within the squad.

They [and throw Man United & Fergie into the mix as well] constantly reinvent their squad by adding youngsters from the upper echelons of the talent pool, and not only that they're prepared to pay the going rate for the type of promising talent needed.

Edited by Year Zero

So Carroll was on less than £20k pw while Smith was on £60k? And people think he was wrong to expect to be paid more to stay with us rather than become a massive signing?

The bit in bold to me is him acknowledging that he doesnt trust those above him to do the right thing. Its like his little secret get out clause.

The last sentence though is the worrying one.

“On Jose I think it is fairly straightforward. Jose has expressed that once we are safe in the division, he would like to sit down with us. We are fine with that. That’s his option of course.

Backs up what I reported the other day, surely there was nothing to sort. JB was willing to take a pay cut and the club wanted him. Whats the issue? Barton wants to see whats what just as Jose does now.

Roll up, Roll up, come and get ya Toite here. One top player, hardly used, yours for a song.

He might as well stick an ad in Football Trader :(