Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McManaman out for 3 months with an ankle injury it would seem - He'll miss the U21 Euros. Crying shame that.

It's alright - he'll be fine - he's not that kind of lad.

"There have been some times when I have not agreed with what people have written and when you write positive things I tend to dismiss them. But I have never held a grudge. It is not my style."

unbelievable comments from ferguson about the media. has he completely forgotten not speaking to the bbc for years?

Edited by Dr Gloom

Waddle on Beckham

"I would say he has been a good player, I wouldn't put him down as a great," Waddle, 52, told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"You can go down a list of players from the Premier League or the 70s or 80s, whatever you want to do. I'll be honest, Beckham probably wouldn't be in the first 1,000."

Regardless of him as a player this man now gets paid to talk about football.

As one of the many struggling to find a job at the moment that depresses the absolute fuck out of me

Beckham is great like. Spent the overwhelming majority of his career at the very top. Won titles all over the place. Worked hard on the pitch even when his average pace deserted him and on the training ground to maintain his fitness and technical proficiency. Regularly scored goals which are technically difficult. Represented (2nd only to Shilton) and then lead his country.

But this is one of those conversations when the person who doesn't rate Beckham will say that Messi and Ronaldo are vastly superior footballers as if this means he's not great. He's excellent and while he's maybe not in the top 100 footballers that have played during his career, he wouldn't be far off. Beckham at his peak would still get into most teams that are vying for their top flight title.

He gets a lot of shit because he married a pop star, wore stupid clothes, sounds a bit dim and "cost Ingurland the wurwld cahp"*, but I think it's daft to say he wasn't a great.