Ashley's Transfer History thread

Happy Face

Finishing top 6 now is equivalent of finishing top 4 before abramovich and the oil barons arrived. I'll take a bet on top 6.

how come nobody before our last owners finished top 4 before Abramovic if it was so easy ? Your statement where you said this, only tells me you are naive and completely oblivious to football in the 1960's, 70's and 80's. On that basis you ought to listen to what I tell you.

Why don't you respond to my post where I asked you why we don't sell our worst players, rather than the best ones, and bring in these quality players ?

This is the difference between a build and improve policy, as opposed to a sell and replace. You do understand this concept , don't you ?

Nobody but us finished top 4 before Abramovich? The hell are you on about? If i said this, you should quote it and we can all laugh at what an idiot i am.

Its harder now than it was, Spurs are proving that you dont need to spend your way there like Man City but Financial Fair Play has come into being because people with far more knowledge and insight into football in the 60s and 70s than you have lobbied the European commission to generate legislation to address the problem. The fact that its harder now is accepted by not only those that run football but those that govern competition on our continent.

You're right about keeping Carroll but life is not as easy as just accumulating as many good players as possible, there are constraints. Maybe we could have and we'd be better off. Everyone else in world football thinks selling Carroll was outstanding business and the right thing to do. Since we've been promoted, we've sold one player for financial reason, Barton, Nolan and Enrique were sold for less than their purchase price. One sale motivated by finance does not make a selling club.

As for the build and improve, its all about that but giving Nolan 60k a week until 2014/15 is not a build and improve tactic. You could try and sell your worst players but the problem with that is no one wants them and even if they do, they wont pay any money for them. Alan Smith being a good example. I hope we do improve on our defence and midfield this summer, Smith's wages will allow at least one top class player to come in. Any bids for Krul, Cole or Tiote will be north of 15-20m, i'm not convinced the Ba contract is at it has been discussed in the press.

If i was a betting man, i'd bet that the first team will be stronger next season than this season. I was convinced that would be the case from last season and the league table (which according to HF can NOT be trusted) suggests that was true. I wonder why i was so convinced? I wonder why i said the club is moving in the right direction and we didnt sell anyone in January? I wonder why i suggested we might strengthen in January and we did? As you're such an expert on football you'll be able to explain how i've been this able to mine this rich seam of being utterly correct for so long now. Is it because, as you so childishly put it, i've got my tongue up Ashley's arse or something else?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i was a betting man, i'd bet that the first team will be stronger next season than this season. I was convinced that would be the case from last season and the league table (which according to HF can NOT be trusted) suggests that was true.

I think the squad is better, there was a thread at the start of the season where it was debated and more or less the majority thought so too. But it was debatable. We could have sold Alan Smith and brought in Jason Lee and the squad would be improved ;) so the question is to what extent.

Our position in the league currently might suggest it's a great deal better, but it could also be a sign of other teams falling away. If teams that finished above us go into free-fall, then just maintaining the existing standard is enough for us to climb. Have we made significant strides on the field that have enabled us to overtake the likes of Sunderland, Villa, Everton and Liverpool this season? Or have they all put in very disappointing performances compared to what they'd hope for. I don't think the latter can be doubted.

We've scored less than we had after 27 games last season and we've conceded more. It's great that we've achieved better results from less goals and a worse defence. But we were 45 minutes from finishing 9th last year, we'd have been 1 point off 8th. Finishing 7 will be going in the right direction certainly, but it'll be taking very slow steps.

Last seasons goal wise is a strange one to judge, I don't have the figures to hand bit I think we scored the same amount of goals in 6 games as we did in the other 32 :lol:

Something bizarre like that. Same could be said of the reverse this season I suppose, 2 huge defeats against Fulham and Spurs have knocked our goals conceded column badly.

Saying that I'm not sure a better way to judge it than maybe points on the board.

Btw Happy Face if league places make it that hard to judge then why not go off points?

I go off the performances. I think they've rarely looked much improved on performances last season. We've been class at taking points off terrible bottom half teams that we threw away last season though, which is champion.

Btw Happy Face if league places make it that hard to judge then why not go off points?

I go off the performances. I think they've rarely looked much improved on performances last season. We've been class at taking points off terrible bottom half teams that we threw away last season though, which is champion.

They do say the sign of a good team is taking points off teams when you're not playing well, in fact I'd say the Wolves game and the first half of the Sunderland game our home form has been pretty good, even the games we lost to Chelsea and West Brom I don't think we played particularly bad in and on another day could have got something from both.

Interestingly a quick look at last seasons stats show we've already got the same number of clean sheets this year

I think we'd have a few (maybe 7 or 8) more points if Taylor hadn't been fucked. I haven't gone overboard on this season's performances as I still think we need more creativity (maybe by fitting in Be Arfa) but my gut feeling is we're a better side overall. There have been aberrations but I think we've competed against the better teams a lot better than last year.

(Of course being so badly affected by Taylor's injury is a sign of squad weakness)

I think we'd have a few (maybe 7 or 8) more points if Taylor hadn't been fucked. I haven't gone overboard on this season's performances as I still think we need more creativity (maybe by fitting in Be Arfa) but my gut feeling is we're a better side overall. There have been aberrations but I think we've competed against the better teams a lot better than last year.

(Of course being so badly affected by Taylor's injury is a sign of squad weakness)

From that perspective, Taylor played more this season than he managed last. Difference being he got injured in pre-season last year, so we started that year with a depleted team and only won 2 of the first 8 games.

The 11 game run at the start of this season was confidence building, with Taylor much more competent than Williamson/Perch. The longer it went on the more confidence grew, and the league position has maintained that belief.

Interesting to note we were 8 points better off than the previous season when Taylor was injured after 14 games, and all these months later we're still only 9 points better off.

Quite right too. This is what I've argued all along. Ultimately, we've played 27 games, and our goal difference still lies at 0. That basically means for every time we have scored, we have essentially scored an own goal to match it.

The goals for and against is an interesting one and the point about other teams falling away is a valid one. The way we beat Man U for the first time in ages, suggests that whilst we really have done nothing more than stand still, others have regressed ;)

I dont think the improvement has been that great, i think Pardew said we just needed to bring in a couple of different players to improve results against the mediocre sides (not that he used that term). He also admitted that he was surprised at how well we were doing, a lot of this season is down to team spirit rather than improved playing staff. However, Krul, Taylor, Colo, Cabaye, Tiote, Cisse and Ba is a decent spine to build around. From that article HF posted I notice that R Taylor and Simpson have the most touches of all players this season (1536 and 1499 touches) and they also have lost possession the most of all outfield player bar Jonas (395 and 418 losses). Basically they give away 1 ball for nearly every 3 received.

if we dont invest in players for the areas they occupy, then any progress will have to come from Santon cementing himself, Marveaux shaking off the injury, Obertan discovering his bottle (his Total and successful final third passes are surprisingly good) and players like Abeid, Vuckic etc coming on. I'm confident about Marveaux's quality. If we can bring just a defender or two in, we'll be significantly stronger.

I certainly don't think we have improved massively over last season. I think at the start of the season we defended much better as a unit and at that time we had a positive goal difference. This was due to lack of goals conceded rather than scored.

I've not checked, but it feels like the defence was unsettled once we lost Taylor and then Tiote as we defended as a team and players like Perch and Williamson were brought in. Tbf I dont recall a lot of glaring errors from Perch but as a whole unit defensively we regressed.

As said, I think addressing the defence with a new full back and centre half would go to improving this next season.

Equally though I do think Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool with strengthen in the summer and in the middle of the table. As it stands I can see us being "best of the rest" but still think top 6 will be tough to break in to without specific key investment in the squad.

"utter shambles of a man" :lol:

I think I'm going to follow mancmag and put Leazes on the ignore list, honestly I can feel my life slipping away getting pulled into the same debate with made up quotes that I've apparently said and his post generated responses.

I've got a better suggestion, why don't you fuck off with your tail between your legs again ? And support Spurs because they employ a DOF system and so will succeed irrespective of the people involved in the system ? Oh wait.

Are YOU prepared to take the bet I've offered mancmag ? If not, then put up or shut up ?

Edited by LeazesMag

Finishing top 6 now is equivalent of finishing top 4 before abramovich and the oil barons arrived. I'll take a bet on top 6.

how come nobody before our last owners finished top 4 before Abramovic if it was so easy ? Your statement where you said this, only tells me you are naive and completely oblivious to football in the 1960's, 70's and 80's. On that basis you ought to listen to what I tell you.

Why don't you respond to my post where I asked you why we don't sell our worst players, rather than the best ones, and bring in these quality players ?

This is the difference between a build and improve policy, as opposed to a sell and replace. You do understand this concept , don't you ?

Nobody but us finished top 4 before Abramovich ? The hell are you on about? If i said this, you should quote it and we can all laugh at what an idiot i am.

Its harder now than it was, Spurs are proving that you dont need to spend your way there like Man City but Financial Fair Play has come into being because people with far more knowledge and insight into football in the 60s and 70s than you have lobbied the European commission to generate legislation to address the problem. The fact that its harder now is accepted by not only those that run football but those that govern competition on our continent.

You're right about keeping Carroll but life is not as easy as just accumulating as many good players as possible, there are constraints. Maybe we could have and we'd be better off. Everyone else in world football thinks selling Carroll was outstanding business and the right thing to do. Since we've been promoted, we've sold one player for financial reason, Barton, Nolan and Enrique were sold for less than their purchase price. One sale motivated by finance does not make a selling club.

As for the build and improve, its all about that but giving Nolan 60k a week until 2014/15 is not a build and improve tactic. You could try and sell your worst players but the problem with that is no one wants them and even if they do, they wont pay any money for them. Alan Smith being a good example. I hope we do improve on our defence and midfield this summer, Smith's wages will allow at least one top class player to come in. Any bids for Krul, Cole or Tiote will be north of 15-20m, i'm not convinced the Ba contract is at it has been discussed in the press.

If i was a betting man, i'd bet that the first team will be stronger next season than this season. I was convinced that would be the case from last season and the league table (which according to HF can NOT be trusted) suggests that was true. I wonder why i was so convinced? I wonder why i said the club is moving in the right direction and we didnt sell anyone in January? I wonder why i suggested we might strengthen in January and we did? As you're such an expert on football you'll be able to explain how i've been this able to mine this rich seam of being utterly correct for so long now. Is it because, as you so childishly put it, i've got my tongue up Ashley's arse or something else?

read the post. You're blabbing on like others do when they know they can't reply.

Why don't you answer a fundamental question I asked you. Why not sell our worst players and bring in more quality, rather than the best ones ?

Do you or do you not accept that a real progressive club ie the ones that have been truly successful since the day football began, have been doing this rather than selling their best players and not backing the manager ?

If you disagree [which you will] then show me ONE club that has ever achieved consistent top 6 or so league positions and regular european football or better that has sold their best players and not backed their manager ?

Of course, this is crap but you won't be able to show us any club that has actually done this ?

Edited by LeazesMag

I addressed all those points in the post. The selling of our worst players is addressed as is the fact we've sold only player for financial reasons since we were relegated 3 years ago. We've been over Nolan and Barton enough and the simple fact is we have improved as a side without them.

I addressed all those points in the post. The selling of our worst players is addressed as is the fact we've sold only player for financial reasons since we were relegated 3 years ago. We've been over Nolan and Barton enough and the simple fact is we have improved as a side without them.

it won't last, the club has adopted the policies of the 2nd rate clubs, with limited resources and limited ambitions.

Another day of barmy nonsense from the resident madman.

please show us what is nonsense ?

http://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/29569-ashleys-transfer-history-thread/page__st__1360__p__1047534#entry1047534

The fact that you don't think football had changed since the 90a is canny ridiculous for a start. And given that a lot of your mental beliefs about what the club should be doing stem from this insane foundation, it's easy to see why most of what you say comes across as the gibberings of an utter shambles of a man.

And that's before we even get into the invented opinions that you ascribe to the people you're speaking to.

Another day of barmy nonsense from the resident madman.

please show us what is nonsense ?

http://www.toontasti...34#entry1047534

The fact that you don't think football had changed since the 90a is canny ridiculous for a start. And given that a lot of your mental beliefs about what the club should be doing stem from this insane foundation, it's easy to see why most of what you say comes across as the gibberings of an utter shambles of a man.

And that's before we even get into the invented opinions that you ascribe to the people you're speaking to.

so what is nonsense ?

Do you also think we are "doing it like Spurs" but won't get top 4 under Mike Ashley, like they have done ?

Like it or not, I'm saying what I think the mentality of the club points towards, which I've been doing for a few years now and so far what I've said has been proved correct. We are into the 5th year of him and its taken this long to have a half decent season. I've explained how I see the mentality of the club and why I think as I do. Unless I'm proved wrong, it isn't rubbish, despite you saying it is and offering no other view of your own. So why not try and read properly ? That post encompasses what I've said, so tell us what you think is rubbish and tell us what has been proved to be conclusively incorrect so far, after almost 5 years ?

How much longer does Mike Ashley need to match his predecessors ? Whether its "more difficult" or not, the point is that you need to compete with the other clubs and you have a certain level expected of a big club like NUFC. The last regime rose to that challenge and made the club what it is now, and for Mike Ashley, the only club bankrolled by a sugar daddy was Blackburn, now we have 2 clubs. This is no reason why NUFC can't compete with and beat the likes of Spurs [who we slaughtered when we had football men running our own club] and Liverpool ?

So. You want an intelligent debate. Make it so, by starting to tell us what is rubbish about what I'm saying, and why, and show us how it has been rubbish and will be rubbish ?

You seem to have plenty of time, as you appear to be sitting at work and not doing anything again.

"utter shambles of a man" :lol:

I think I'm going to follow mancmag and put Leazes on the ignore list, honestly I can feel my life slipping away getting pulled into the same debate with made up quotes that I've apparently said and his post generated responses.

it's the only way. i've had him on ignore for a while now. improves enjoyment of this place as you can't get sucked in.

that's why i stopped bothering with him. i can take the endless repetition of his agrument to a point. it was when he continually made stuff up and accused me of saying stuff i never did (without the proof to support his assertions) that i gave up engaging with him.

that's why i stopped bothering with him. i can take the endless repetition of his agrument to a point. it was when he continually made stuff up and accused me of saying stuff i never did (without the proof to support his assertions) that i gave up engaging with him.

I've made up nothing about you. You whinged on when we had ambitious directors who kept our best players and backed their managers, and wanted rid of them, now you are moaning because we don't have an ambitious owner who sells our best players and doesn't back his manager.

You could attempt to admit this is true, if you want to debate otherwise however, fine go ahead and I'll debate with you - and time will prove I am right unfortunately, but stop refusing to read posts from someone just because you "disagree with them" [especially when you tell everyone, to look for the sympathy vote by calling for their banning] like a big baby.

Edited by LeazesMag