Ashley's Transfer History thread

Happy Face

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What great news.

Why?

I would have thought that having an operating profit before player trading, whilst bringing in quality players, whilst being 6th in the league in March, whilst being 5 points ahead of Liverpool was a canny position to be in.

:huh:

Surely its the sort of position that makes owners feel better and more likely to offer better contracts to star players and take the odd punt now and again.

Should I be sad? :(

"No one really wants the club to making a huge profit, the aim is to invest in the playing squad, or the ground."

http://www.nufc-finances.org.uk/

If new wingers would make the difference you think it would, and that money is sat doing nothing for us, then you should be sad about that.

I'm fairly sure that these results are related to our recent expenditure on Cisse and new contracts for Krul and Coloccini. Hopefully that's a sign that the club will not be run at a profit.

You can make profit AND invest in players though. Tougher to make losses and invest in players. I don't think we should be looking at profitability as a bad thing.

:lol: For years HF complains about the poor financial performance, then in a stunning display of inconsistent and incoherent contrarianism, complains about good financial performance as a sign of under investment.

Couple of points here, 1. you have to earn money before you can spend it. 2. If you spend more than you earn at some point you need to earn more than you spend.

You can make profit AND invest in players though. Tougher to make losses and invest in players. I don't think we should be looking at profitability as a bad thing.

I don't think profitability is bad. Just wondered why it's "great news" given CT's vocal concerns about the quality of the squad.

I don't think profitability is bad. Just wondered why it's "great news" given CT's vocal concerns about the quality of the squad.

I'm going to let CT explain how stupid that post is.

:lol: For years HF complains about the poor financial performance, then in a stunning display of inconsistent and incoherent contrarianism, complains about good financial performance as a sign of under investment.

Couple of points here, 1. you have to earn money before you can spend it. 2. If you spend more than you earn at some point you need to earn more than you spend.

I didn't complain. :razz:

it should also be a position from where they add more quality to the team rather than selling another top player, but we'll leave that particular angle for a few months shall we ?

You mean something along the lines of spending £10m on a new striker only a few weeks ago?

Edited by Monroe Transfer

Because it puts us in a position where we can make additions to the squad in a financially responsible way. I suspect and hope that Cisse was a glimpse of what Ashley is prepared to do when he knows that he owns a club that can run at a profit.

I'm fairly sure that these results are related to our recent expenditure on Cisse and new contracts for Krul and Coloccini. Hopefully that's a sign that the club will not be run at a profit.

Coloccini's contract has no effect on the bottom line, it's just an extension of his current deal.

Coloccini's contract has no effect on the bottom line, it's just an extension of his current deal.

I'm guessing there are signing on bonuses and agent's fees etc.

But the main point is that it is a commitment to reward one of our top performers with a massive salary for the next four years, something many of us previously thought would not happen.

I'm only speculating on this from playing FM, but aren't there signing bonuses even for extensions. No doubt his agent gots to get paiiiid too.

Because it puts us in a position where we can make additions to the squad in a financially responsible way. I suspect and hope that Cisse was a glimpse of what Ashley is prepared to do when he knows that he owns a club that can run at a profit.

But these results cover the year 10/11 right? CT's concerns haven't been addressed in 11/12, as you're hoping they would.

But these results cover the year 10/11 right? CT's concerns haven't been addressed in 11/12, as you're hoping they would.

I don't get your point. It's not like they close 10/11 and then haven't a clue what is happening financially until a year later. They'll know the financial health of the business from one month to the next.

I don't get your point. It's not like they close 10/11 and then haven't a clue what is happening financially until a year later. They'll know the financial health of the business from one month to the next.

Exactly my point, They'll have known this was going to be the case for almost a year, but CT's still having to put up with Jonas on the wing. If they didn't get anyone better in over the last 2 windows, I wouldn't think it's great news that will lead to a summer spending spree.

It just shows we're on the right track on and off the pitch, you then factor in that next year we will have improved finances due to the virgin deal as well as more money from a higher league finish and it's looking good for us to push on, hopefully the year after we will have more from Europa football and it gets better still.

I expect us to add 2 or 3 quality players in the summer that are capable of walking into the first team after hearing this, if they do crackdown on the financial fair play rules then it makes the position even sweeter for us.

It just shows we're on the right track on and off the pitch, you then factor in that next year we will have improved finances due to the virgin deal as well as more money from a higher league finish and it's looking good for us to push on, hopefully the year after we will have more from Europa football and it gets better still.

I expect us to add 2 or 3 quality players in the summer that are capable of walking into the first team after hearing this, if they do crackdown on the financial fair play rules then it makes the position even sweeter for us.

I'd be very happy with three first teamers in the summer and no significant losses.

It's also possible that the club hierarchy wanted to make sure they'd appointed the right man in Pardew before handing him a load of cash to spunk on players. There are lots of variables at play, you can't just say well we knew we were making money last year so why didn't we go wild in the summer.

This business with HMRC for instance - perhaps we weren't comfortable spending until we had that issue resolved.