Ashley's Transfer History thread

Happy Face

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the failure to land Mariappa for £3m rather than our final bid of £2.5m means we finish 9th rather than 5th, then it's a false economy.

That's the gamble you have to take. Would Watford have accepted £3m or held out for more - they didn't seem particularly keen to sell anyway. Was he worth £3m anyway? The guy is a Championship defender in a team that aren't doing particularly well after all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm disappointed as any that we didn't strengthen in defence but we could well finish 5th without him once the lads from the ACN come back - it's all relative.

We had bids knocked back for Mariappa in the window.

The fact we now have one quality striker + 1 potential quality striker to replace a misfiring Carroll is fine by me.

If the rest of the money has been reinvested in the squad to make sure we can run on a stable financial footing then that's also fine by me; what isn't fine is a lack of communication as to how much has been used to recoup wages etc.

The fact we didn't pay over the odds on Mariappa suggests to me that either we'll go in for him again in the summer when he'll be nearer to the end of his deal therefore cheaper or we'll sign this Douglas fellow. Pardew said money was available to spend on players but we've shown we're not going to pay silly money for anyone anymore, which I'm all for.

The Mariappa thing says a lot to me. They obviously see Mariappa as someone who can play well for Newcastle, yet they didn't value him at £2.5m?!?! That's all we needed to pay, it's fucking peanuts. Pardew's crack yesterday pissed me off, "if the deaw dowwnt goww froou todie, we'ww be lookin at avva opshuns in the samma". That to me says signing him would be settling for second best now through sheer desperation. We had 5 weeks to sort some cunt oot, clearly the target is Vertongen but maybe Ajax wanted to retain him to get in the CL even so, totally pathetic we haven't got someone sorted.

If the failure to land Mariappa for £3m rather than our final bid of £2.5m means we finish 9th rather than 5th, then it's a false economy.

That's the gamble you have to take. Would Watford have accepted £3m or held out for more - they didn't seem particularly keen to sell anyway. Was he worth £3m anyway? The guy is a Championship defender in a team that aren't doing particularly well after all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm disappointed as any that we didn't strengthen in defence but we could well finish 5th without him once the lads from the ACN come back - it's all relative.

but 3m quid for a defender, what is 3m quid to a club like NUFC who is supposedly a big club looking to back its manager and live with the other big clubs ? As in selling your best players and not seeing the money, this is the actions of a small club, not a big club. No wonder Enrique wanted to go - and more will follow, when they see this sort of thing going on.

The fact we now have one quality striker + 1 potential quality striker to replace a misfiring Carroll is fine by me.

If the rest of the money has been reinvested in the squad to make sure we can run on a stable financial footing then that's also fine by me; what isn't fine is a lack of communication as to how much has been used to recoup wages etc.

The fact we didn't pay over the odds on Mariappa suggests to me that either we'll go in for him again in the summer when he'll be nearer to the end of his deal therefore cheaper or we'll sign this Douglas fellow. Pardew said money was available to spend on players but we've shown we're not going to pay silly money for anyone anymore, which I'm all for.

The Mariappa thing says a lot to me. They obviously see Mariappa as someone who can play well for Newcastle, yet they didn't value him at £2.5m?!?! That's all we needed to pay, it's fucking peanuts. Pardew's crack yesterday pissed me off, "if the deaw dowwnt goww froou todie, we'ww be lookin at avva opshuns in the samma". That to me says signing him would be settling for second best now through sheer desperation. We had 5 weeks to sort some cunt oot, clearly the target is Vertongen but maybe Ajax wanted to retain him to get in the CL even so, totally pathetic we haven't got someone sorted.

See I think they saw Mariappa as a young(ish) player that they could sign for peanuts and if he didn't work out, they could still sell him on for at the worst a reasonable loss. I don't think he'd have been signed as a 1st teamer, mor elikely a "ahead of Perch"-er. because when Taylor returns he'll be Colo's partner, Williamson and Mariappa would have been cover.

I'm disappointed we didn't sign somebody, but I'd have (like you've said elsewhere about Cisse being a signal of intent) preferred to sign a player who would be, at the very least, challenging Taylor for the 1st team.

Aye, and it's nice to be gambling with our european potential rather than relegation.

Just a shame, now the big 4 is the big 2 and the trailing 4, that we aren't pushing to joiin those trailing 4.

Aye, disappointing on that score I have to say. That said, the broader context of this window is that nobody really bought owt apart from us, because clubs are skint/are now choosing not to buy in Jan. Bassong on loan to Wolves can only have been good business though, I'd definitely have taken that as a stop gap bolstering.

Aye, disappointing on that score I have to say. That said, the broader context of this window is that nobody really bought owt apart from us, because clubs are skint/are now choosing not to buy in Jan. Bassong on loan to Wolves can only have been good business though, I'd definitely have taken that as a stop gap bolstering.

That just baffles me that does, the Bassong thing. We're surely not deluded that we think Spurs think of us as rivals this season. Sometimes I think in football there are clubs and agents who are thick as thieves, and maybe we're not with Tottenham. Viola, FFS, McKay, Souness, Rangers was one in my view. Everton, Man Utd and McKay is another, while there's been plenty business been done between particular agents and Wolves and Tottenham in recent years too.

That just baffles me that does, the Bassong thing. We're surely not deluded that we think Spurs think of us as rivals this season. Sometimes I think in football there are clubs and agents who are thick as thieves, and maybe we're not with Tottenham. Viola, FFS, McKay, Souness, Rangers was one in my view. Everton, Man Utd and McKay is another, while there's been plenty business been done between particular agents and Wolves and Tottenham in recent years too.

Not sure of the machinations behind it all but I wouldn't be surprised if you're onto something like. I just used it as an example of one deal which adds massive value to Wolves. Odd for us that we didnt seem to be talking loans at all this window really though, targets seemed to be outright purchases or nowt overall.

See I think they saw Mariappa as a young(ish) player that they could sign for peanuts and if he didn't work out, they could still sell him on for at the worst a reasonable loss. I don't think he'd have been signed as a 1st teamer, mor elikely a "ahead of Perch"-er. because when Taylor returns he'll be Colo's partner, Williamson and Mariappa would have been cover.

I'm disappointed we didn't sign somebody, but I'd have (like you've said elsewhere about Cisse being a signal of intent) preferred to sign a player who would be, at the very least, challenging Taylor for the 1st team.

we have a small squad, we have had injuries that is pushing it and an outside chance of getting into europe, and they didn't think it was worth a gamble ? For the sake of half a million quid, a player the manager [presumably] thought was good enough for Newcastle United has been lost, and maybe the subsequent chance of getting that european place ?

This is not the first time Mike Ashley or someone at the club will pass up the chance to push ahead and look to complete the task for the sake of false economy and not understanding or caring about the footballing side of things.

Don't say you weren't told, and don't call me a liar when I bring this up in the future, like other things I have said in the past.

Edited by LeazesMag

Pipe down Uncle Albert, I said I was disappointed and by inference indicated we should have bought a defender in this window in the post you've quoted so don't paint me as thinking otherwise, I also said to others that if we didn't sign Mariappa we wouldn't sign anyone, so you didn't tell me anything I didn't already know and have known for the past 4 years.

Pipe down Uncle Albert, I said I was disappointed and by inference indicated we should have bought a defender in this window in the post you've quoted so don't paint me as thinking otherwise, I also said to others that if we didn't sign Mariappa we wouldn't sign anyone, so you didn't tell me anything I didn't already know and have known for the past 4 years.

:lol:

pipe down yourself dickbrain, i've been telling you and an assorted bunch of fuckwits something you haven't known for longer than the past 4 years, and if the rubbish you have posted in the last 24 hours is anything to go by, nothing much is going to change.

I'm pointing out the limited ambitions of the club, and how they are competing at small club levels, again, in case you haven't got the brains to work it out.

Edited by LeazesMag

:lol:

and the grey man, true to form, has absolutely nothing to say :cuppa:

Backing him on a £9m striker which I guess was paying what he was worth. They offered £2.5m for a championship cb, that was below Watfords valuation. They could have wanted £5m, who knows.

They obviously have players they want in summer and this guy was a stop gap until then. Would have had Bassong on loan tho, missed a trick there I think

pipe down yourself dickbrain, i've been telling you and an assorted bunch of fuckwits something you haven't known for longer than the past 4 years, and if the rubbish you have posted in the last 24 hours is anything to go by, nothing much is going to change.

I'm pointing out the limited ambitions of the club, and how they are competing at small club levels, again, in case you haven't got the brains to work it out.

Livid :lol:

Livid :lol:

....and in keeping with the flowchart. Excellent stuff. :lol:

we have a small squad, we have had injuries that is pushing it and an outside chance of getting into europe, and they didn't think it was worth a gamble ? For the sake of half a million quid, a player the manager [presumably] thought was good enough for Newcastle United has been lost, and maybe the subsequent chance of getting that european place ?

This is not the first time Mike Ashley or someone at the club will pass up the chance to push ahead and look to complete the task for the sake of false economy and not understanding or caring about the footballing side of things.

Don't say you weren't told, and don't call me a liar when I bring this up in the future, like other things I have said in the past.

What happens if it doesnt affect anything and another of your fanciful "I told you so" predictions floats away on a summer breeze?

Backing him on a £9m striker which I guess was paying what he was worth. They offered £2.5m for a championship cb, that was below Watfords valuation. They could have wanted £5m, who knows.

They obviously have players they want in summer and this guy was a stop gap until then. Would have had Bassong on loan tho, missed a trick there I think

Aye, I'd have taken Bassong on loan.

This is a serious question before any nutsack bites my head off, but how do u reckon the crowd would have taken to that given how he left??