Working class comedy.

Park Life

What a load of absolute fucking tosh.

BBC should sack the knob who made the statement. 'Working class comedy' :jesuswept:

The king of 'working class comedy' was Ben Elton. 'Yearr, THATCHER (said with as much venom as possible, 'cause she was hated and to say her name loudly would get more laughs/appreciation ;)) this, and THATCHER that.' Oh how we working classes lapped it up. Elton was our hero. And then he got rich....

There is no such thing as 'working class comedy'. Comedy is based on one's psyche and concentration. The ultimate, base-line comedy is classic slapstick; bloke (or woman. sorry for being a Gray) gets pie in face and we laugh. Bloke, or woman, turns around whilst carrying a ladder on shoulder: other bloke, or woman, gets twatted by ladder. We laugh. The more we have to concentrate on what is being said/performed, and how it is being delivered, the more division there will be in who likes what.

Division is good four legs bad.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about ''Not Going Out'' it surely transcends the two? Written by a working class northerner, the protaganist is a working class northerner who's friends are quite clearly middle class.

You have plenty of working class references - with 'Lee' an Ice Cream seller and Barbara the self employed cleaner. Yet the setting is withing a very expensive london flat (in which the three main characters stay at some point) The obvious middle/upper class characters - Tim - a well off accountant and Lucy his sister a headhunter in recruitment.

It's almost as if the working class references are bouncing off the middle/upper class references but again it could be another example of the ''we are all middle class'' attitude that most sitcoms have adopted - despite it's writer.

Makes me lol like. (not quite as much as Premier Feline though)

What about ''Not Going Out'' it surely transcends the two? Written by a working class northerner, the protaganist is a working class northerner who's friends are quite clearly middle class.

You have plenty of working class references - with 'Lee' an Ice Cream seller and Barbara the self employed cleaner. Yet the setting is withing a very expensive london flat (in which the three main characters stay at some point) The obvious middle/upper class characters - Tim - a well off accountant and Lucy his sister a headhunter in recruitment.

It's almost as if the working class references are bouncing off the middle/upper class references but again it could be another example of the ''we are all middle class'' attitude that most sitcoms have adopted - despite it's writer.

Think the frission between classes provides for a lot of comedy in England.

Think the frission between classes provides for a lot of comedy in England.

Is that a cross between frisson and friction? ;)

As I said earlier, class isn't an issue in British comedy. To The manor Born and Steptoe are 2 of the most loved shows in this country with the ratings to go with it.

It is funny to look at US comedy though, where it is completely taboo to base a show on someone poor. Even people who are poor.... aren't.....

Joey on friends should have nothing, but he lives off his wealthy mates in a loft apartment most wealthy people couldn't afford....

The Fresh Prince moves to a Mansion house to practice his brand of witty street smarts ....

Kramer doesn't do anything for a living but lives in the same appartments as Jerry Seinfeld....who's character is a TV regular with his own show.

The Cosby's....minted....The Jeffersons...minted....Frasier.....minted.....Everybody Loves Raymond....minted.....Malcolm in the middle.....well off.....

I think Roseanne was the poorest housewife ever to appear on US TV and she had her own loose meat sandwich business venture and won the lottery to become a multi-millionaire.

Everybody Hates Chris is the only show I can think of that embraces the fact the characters are poor.

...and they say America has no class system.

As much as i love US TV, I much prefer it our way.

Edited by Happy Face

As I said earlier, class isn't an issue in British comedy. To The manor Born and Steptoe are 2 of the most loved shows in this country with the ratings to go with it.

It is funny to look at US comedy though, where it is completely taboo to base a show on someone poor. Even people who are poor.... aren't.....

Joey on friends should have nothing, but he lives of his wealthy mates in a loft apartment most wealthy people couldn't afford....

The Fresh Prince moves to a Mansion house to practice his brand of witty street smarts ....

Kramer doesn't do anything for a living but lives in the same appartments as Jerry Seinfeld....who's character is a TV regular with his own show.

The Cosby's....minted....The Jeffersons...minted....Frasier.....minted.....Everybody Loves Raymond....minted.....Malcolm in the middle.....well off.....

I think Roseanne was the poorest housewife ever to appear on US TV and she had her own loose meat sandwich business venture and won the lottery to become a multi-millionaire.

Everybody Hates Chris is the only show I can think of that embraces the fact the characters are poor.

don't like most yank comedy with their canned laughter. Like Married with Children though, or maybe that was because of Christina Applegate

Joey on friends should have nothing, but he lives off his wealthy mates in a loft apartment most wealthy people couldn't afford....

Aye, it's been discussed before (perhaps not on here) but the likes of Joey, broke living in a loft apartment in one of the most expensive cities on Earth. Also with Frasier it's ridiculous how both the brothers are successful professionals who went to Ivy League colleges etc. but their Dad was a cop. Aye, righto.

Apart from the fact that TtMB was complete horseplop, it was a comedy which was actually about class man! ;) So was Steptoe and Son. I think you've completely shot yourself in the foot using these examples.

Also, Seinfeld didn't have his own show for the vast amount of the series, and Kramer was an unexplained enigma per se, so you haven't got a point there either. And off the top of my head, what about 'My name is Earl'? Otherwise I'm not surprised that most US characters are in line with the American dream, that's just them, isn't it?

Apart from the fact that TtMB was complete horseplop, it was a comedy which was actually about class man! ;) So was Steptoe and Son. I think you've completely shot yourself in the foot using these examples.

Also, Seinfeld didn't have his own show for the vast amount of the series, and Kramer was an unexplained enigma per se, so you haven't got a point there either. And off the top of my head, what about 'My name is Earl'? Otherwise I'm not surprised that most US characters are in line with the American dream, that's just them, isn't it?

I think you've missed my point....which is Brits will watch a show about class...whatever their own class and whatever the class of those in the show.

Americans won't watch poor people, whether they themselves are poor or not.

Edit: My Name is Earl is a good shout to go with Everybody hates Chris. They don't become all time great shows like the 2 British examples I gave...whether you like them or not.

Edited by Happy Face

EHC has the nostalgia side to it, given it's set in the past. It'll be interesting to see how they react to Shameless.

Hadn't really thought about that.

Aye, it's been discussed before (perhaps not on here) but the likes of Joey, broke living in a loft apartment in one of the most expensive cities on Earth. Also with Frasier it's ridiculous how both the brothers are successful professionals who went to Ivy League colleges etc. but their Dad was a cop. Aye, righto.

Yeah wierd one this. Quite surprised it's escaped my notice. ;)

Wouldn't occur to a silver spooner :lol:

I think you've missed my point....which is Brits will watch a show about class...whatever their own class and whatever the class of those in the show.

Edit: My Name is Earl is a good shout to go with Everybody hates Chris. They don't become all time great shows like the 2 British examples I gave...whether you like them or not.

But there are several exceptions that show you're not right about the latter point. Leazes mentioned Married with Children which is another example of a poor family. Also the Simpsons are always brassic.

Your examples show that the British are less comfortable about class than Americans imo. We can laugh more easily precisley because class is entrenched in our society (or was) to a much greater degree than it is in America. If that's what you're saying, then I agree.

Mmmm...To do with the dream or the writing or the producers?

On the side of the workers though. ;)

But there are several exceptions that show you're not right about the latter point. Leazes mentioned Married with Children which is another example of a poor family. Also the Simpsons are always brassic.

Your examples show that the British are less comfortable about class than Americans imo. We can laugh more easily precisley because class is entrenched in our society (or was) to a much greater degree than it is in America. If that's what you're saying, then I agree.

Think Nicos is saying there is a psychological gateway yet to be breeched in US comedy as a whole.

Class has always been the de facto core of 'jokes' in UK comedy.

Think Nicos is saying there is a psychological gateway yet to be breeched in US comedy as a whole.

Class has always been the de facto core of 'jokes' in UK comedy.

I personally think that reflects we live in a society where there are classes, whereas Americans don't. Not in the same way, anyway.

Just kidding, Trotsky.

Just kidding, Trotsky.

:blush: