Working class comedy.

Park Life

The new controller of BBC1, Danny Cohen, has apparently decided there are too many middle-class sitcoms and not enough working-class ones. Sources say that he feels the Beeb is "too focused on formats about comfortable, well-off middle-class families whose lives are perhaps more reflective of BBC staff than viewers in other parts of the UK", and that we need more of "what he describes as 'blue-collar' comedies".

Blue-collar comedies, eh? Problem is, of course, it's never entirely straightforward what that means: do we mean comedy by the working class, for the working class, or about the working class?

But given this obvious cavil, the man does seem to have a point. Porridge, Bread, Birds of a Feather, Brushstrokes, Rising Damp, Steptoe and Son, Only Fools and Horses, Till Death Do Us Part . . . those were great comedies with working-class settings, except for Brushstrokes, which just had a working-class setting. Where are their equivalents now?

Their equivalents are burnt on arrival by snooty BBc readers and commisoners I imagine. :lol:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

AWP obviously the classic one. Never got the wankfest that existed about Bread tbh. Was more like a documentary in bampishness.

Early Doors was on the beeb.

Thought that was great.

Same writers as Royle Family wasn't it?

It was intended to be but it ended up being Craig Cash and Phil Mealey (Joe and Duffy) as Caroline Aherne moved to America around then so wasn't involved I think. Probably for the best (nothing against her like) because it was just about perfect imo.

AWP obviously the classic one. Never got the wankfest that existed about Bread tbh. Was more like a documentary in bampishness.

Not just a comedy. Very funny like but more to it than that.

Thought that was great.

It was intended to be but it ended up being Craig Cash and Phil Mealey (Joe and Duffy) as Caroline Aherne moved to America around then so wasn't involved I think. Probably for the best (nothing against her like) because it was just about perfect imo.

Ahh, see what you mean.Agree too

Can't remember the character names, but the couple Mark Benton played the bloke in were class.

Edited by Monkeys Fist

Thought that was great.

Ahh, see what you mean.Agree too

Can't remember the character names, but the couple Mark Benton played the bloke in were class.

:lol: Aye, they were great. Good actor him like.

I suppose there's Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps... :lol:

That new one about the 6th formers or whatever on BBC3 (Coming of Age?) makes that look like a work of absolute genius.

So what he's saying is "My Family is shit and we'll not be renewing it!"

Couldn't be happier.

Best thing the Beeb have done for comedy was give Stewart Lee his own show though. I think he was described as something like 'painfully middle class'.

Vomitting into the gaping anus of Jesus Christ isn't for everyone.

I suppose there's Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps... :lol:

Aye but that Sheridan Smith, a borderline boiler who even you would.

To move on the debate over working class/middle class comedy and it's merits, here are Sheridan Smiths nips.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /pictures/sheridan_smith_see_through_0428.jpg on this server.