Cars

Jan

How long do you realistically wait for a new one to be delivered?

I bought mine 3 weeks ago and now they tell me they have lost the keys and need to order new ones taking another 14 - 21 days.

I told them to find me a car or shove it.

:lol:

How long do you realistically wait for a new one to be delivered?

I bought mine 3 weeks ago and now they tell me they have lost the keys and need to order new ones taking another 14 - 21 days.

I told them to find me a car or shove it.

:lol:

Tell them that sounds like it was eminently avoidable and entirely down to their negligence and ask them why they think you should suffer as a result. Unless at this stage you were already getting it ahead of whatever due date you'd agreed upon, in which case you've not suffered in any event.

It'll still all be down to whatever written terms there are at this stage before you can repudiate the contract.

Also if you ever want something done pronto and it's a contract you're negotiating yourself always make sure you say that "time is of the essence". A salesman won't understand what this means but from a legal point of view it means prompt delivery of the goods or services is actually central to the bargain and not just some ancillary term. So if theyre late with it you're basically saying you consider yourself absolved from the contract and entitled to repudiate.

Also if you ever want something done pronto and it's a contract you're negotiating yourself always make sure you say that "time is of the essence". A salesman won't understand what this means but from a legal point of view it means prompt delivery of the goods or services is actually central to the bargain and not just some ancillary term. So if theyre late with it you're basically saying you consider yourself absolved from the contract and entitled to repudiate.

Wind your neck in. :lol:

I bought my last car brand new (Corsa) and delivery time was 6 weeks. They delivered the car on time but ... the car didn't have the Air Con that I'd wanted/ordered.

They offered me £1k off the £8k price if I'd accept it with no A/C. I refused. Another 6 weeks for delivery which this time was on time. I did though kick up a stink and said I 'll likely leave it because the Corsa C was only months away from being phased out for the Corsa D. That I'd in effect had to wait 12 weeks for my new motor.

Anyway, I got them to fit he dual controls for me for nowt to complete the deal. Get yasel a haggling head on. Threaten to pull out the deal etc. Only relent if they offer you something nice like two free services or summit nice for the car.

I bought my last car brand new (Corsa) and delivery time was 6 weeks. They delivered the car on time but ... the car didn't have the Air Con that I'd wanted/ordered.

They offered me £1k off the £8k price if I'd accept it with no A/C. I refused. Another 6 weeks for delivery which this time was on time. I did though kick up a stink and said I 'll likely leave it because the Corsa C was only months away from being phased out for the Corsa D. That I'd in effect had to wait 12 weeks for my new motor.

Anyway, I got them to fit he dual controls for me for nowt to complete the deal. Get yasel a haggling head on. Threaten to pull out the deal etc. Only relent if they offer you something nice like two free services or summit nice for the car.

Good post this. If it's their fault, see what you can get out of them.

Why do people buy brand new cars? Serious question.

In case folk like Jimbo were previous owners of second hand cars; imagine all the dried up spunk on the steering wheel.

EDIT: just been on to Jan's profile to see if it was a female Jan, or some 'Yan' bloke. I need to know these things :nah:

So, Jan.....tell me a bit about yourself :lol:

Edited by snakehips

In case folk like Jimbo were previous owners of second hand cars; imagine all the dried up spunk on the steering wheel.

EDIT: just been on to Jan's profile to see if it was a female Jan, or some 'Yan' bloke. I need to know these things :lol:

:nah:

Some of the warrantys make it worth it now i guess, Hyundai will give you an 8year one and you don't even have to get it serviced with them, long as its done every year by a vat registered mechanic they'll honour it.

I guess if you can afford a new one why not, always nice to have something no one else has owned before you.

if your the kind of person buying a new one to change it after a few years mind your a mong,

Aye, fair call on the warranties. But still the reality is that as soon as you drive it off the forecourt you lose perhaps 5 or 10% of the value. I'd rather someone else lost that and I'll buy it shortly thereafter.

But maybe I'm a tightarse and put money ahead of that 'new car smell' and a spunk free dashboard.

Because they like new cars? I always buy new, I'm aware I'm paying a premium for it but I guess I consider the benefit/feeling I get from it is worth it. Also I have never had to face a breakdown in my life.

You could extend your argument to just about anything, including clothes and phones. Why don't you buy these second hand? Or maybe you do. :lol:

Plus, someone has to buy new cars for there to be a second hand market, so you should be grateful. :nah:

I guess it makes them feel good but the fact is the minute you drive that car out of the showroom it has depreciated in value greatly! Makes much more sense to buy a car thats a couple years old.

I guess it makes them feel good but the fact is the minute you drive that car out of the showroom it has depreciated in value greatly! Makes much more sense to buy a car thats a couple years old.

The amount of depreciation greatly depends on the car though. Like I say, everything depreciates the second you buy it, including second hand cars. Mind, if I was a mechanic like your husband then fair enough, I'd go second hand. As it stands its worth it for me to pay more to avoid the hassle. Things always seem to go wrong with cars after 4-5 years.

The amount of depreciation greatly depends on the car though. Like I say, everything depreciates the second you buy it, including second hand cars. Mind, if I was a mechanic like your husband then fair enough, I'd go second hand. As it stands its worth it for me to pay more to avoid the hassle. Things always seem to go wrong with cars after 4-5 years.

Yeah I understand what you're saying and each to their own but it really doesnt make much sense in most cases. True for us though, hubby being in the garage business and our friend owning a car garage makes life easier. I think we have 8 vehicles at present :lol: all bought secondhand, sometimes at auction.

:lol: Who is this man?

Because they like new cars? I always buy new, I'm aware I'm paying a premium for it but I guess I consider the benefit/feeling I get from it is worth it. Also I have never had to face a breakdown in my life.

You could extend your argument to just about anything, including clothes and phones. Why don't you buy these second hand? Or maybe you do. :lol:

Plus, someone has to buy new cars for there to be a second hand market, so you should be grateful. ;)

To help you with this 'feeling' do you get a stained glass window as an optional extra? :o

EDIT: just been on to Jan's profile to see if it was a female Jan, or some 'Yan' bloke. I need to know these things :icon_lol:

I am a girl :o

I have a cat named keith, my own house, car (sort of), teeth a full time job and a season ticket for newcastle.

Ohhhhhhhh and I hate shopping.

;)