For Chez, Catmag and CT

Park Life

51jKdPMNjOL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Magical-Child-Joseph...e/dp/0452267897

Product Description

Right from the instant of birth, says Joseph Pearce, the human child has only one concern--to learn all that there is to learn about the world. But in the West we tend to thwart this concern from the very start. Available once again, Magical Child shows how to restore this amazing capacity for creative intelligence that is innate in every human.

A very important book, especially for those with children or expecting them. In a very reasoned manner reflecting a great deal of knowledge and research, Pearce discusses the phases every child goes through as it matures. He describes it as a succession of matrices, beginning with the womb-matrix, then the mother-matrix, the earth-matrix and so on. What it boils down to is the there is a time for everything, and we need to support the child's natural unfolding as much as we can. This means not 'abandoning' the infant in the crib, not pushing the pre-schooler too learn to read (ultimately a harmful thing), limiting television viewing and encouraging fantasy and play.

There seems to be so much misunderstanding and ignorance with regard to children these days, from tv overload to little league pressure to accelerated academic preparation--all harmful activities because they block a child's healthy development. Wake up everybody!

In the final chapters, Pearce goes beyond childhood to explore the possibilities of the human mind per se and give us a glimpse of what lies beyond the self-imposed limits of our reality. A deeply significant work. I also recommend Betty Staley's Between Form and Freedom for a look at what awaits in the adolescent years.

Edited by Park Life

My son is obsessed with Countdown and he's 22 months old so I think I've probably already unlocked some serious potential there.

On another note Parky, was it you who advocates not having children immunised? I know there was a debate way back when but I can't quite remember who said what..

My son is obsessed with Countdown and he's 22 months old so I think I've probably already unlocked some serious potential there.

On another note Parky, was it you who advocates not having children immunised? I know there was a debate way back when but I can't quite remember who said what..

I suggest it, but it's your call as a mother. There is some risk either way. I think there are no absolutes with this, just a question of taking time out with your partner and weighing up the pro's and con's.

Parky jnr has the minimum. If you are going for full spectrum imm then do it in shots spread out over a period rather than close together. Keep clear of fluoride. It's too late for the likes of us but with a clean slate it's worth doing.

Don't regulate play, especially creative play. :lol:

Pah and Bollox to your books! :lol: Our son is all grown up and I'm very proud of him. He's decent, honest, intelligent, has a good sense of humour and good morals too. I was very young when I had him and basically hubby and I didnt have a clue! But we loved and looked after him and taught him respect and always listened to him and made time to do things together. Thats what its all about. We are all very close. :nah:

Pah and Bollox to your books! :lol: Our son is all grown up and I'm very proud of him. He's decent, honest, intelligent, has a good sense of humour and good morals too. I was very young when I had him and basically hubby and I didnt have a clue! But we loved and looked after him and taught him respect and always listened to him and made time to do things together. Thats what its all about. We are all very close. :lol:

Quite a defensive response tho eh? :nah:

Pah and Bollox to your books! :lol: Our son is all grown up and I'm very proud of him. He's decent, honest, intelligent, has a good sense of humour and good morals too. I was very young when I had him and basically hubby and I didnt have a clue! But we loved and looked after him and taught him respect and always listened to him and made time to do things together. Thats what its all about. We are all very close. :lol:

Noooo not at all, maybe a proud response though. My son is here laughing as I typed it!

I suggest it, but it's your call as a mother. There is some risk either way. I think there are no absolutes with this, just a question of taking time out with your partner and weighing up the pro's and con's.

Parky jnr has the minimum. If you are going for full spectrum imm then do it in shots spread out over a period rather than close together. Keep clear of fluoride. It's too late for the likes of us but with a clean slate it's worth doing.

Yeah, I remember you saying this now. The bairn has had all of his recommended jabs but last year I decided against letting him have the swine flu vaccine. I did a lot of reading but the fact that I felt like it had been rushed through the system and approved almost on the back of the media hype, mixed with a strong gut-feeling against it meant that declined the invitation from the surgery for him to go and get it.

Inevitably now that it's all flared up in the media again I'm questioning my decision. He's poorly at the moment and last night peaked with a temp of over 39 degrees, hacking cough etc and I've had a horrible couple of days with him being ill. I've just tried to keep my rational head on and treat him with Calpol and fluids and hope it's enough. It's heart-wrenching to see him suffer and wonder if I could have made a wrong decision somewhere down the line.

Noooo not at all, maybe a proud response though. My son is here laughing as I typed it!

Only joking mate.

It's a great feeling having pride in your children. May the force be with you and your own. :lol:

Only joking mate.

It's a great feeling having pride in your children. May the force be with you and your own. :no

Thanks sweetie. Well I do look at our lad and think well, we didnt do so badly did we? 'smug mode' :lol:

Yeah, I remember you saying this now. The bairn has had all of his recommended jabs but last year I decided against letting him have the swine flu vaccine. I did a lot of reading but the fact that I felt like it had been rushed through the system and approved almost on the back of the media hype, mixed with a strong gut-feeling against it meant that declined the invitation from the surgery for him to go and get it.

Inevitably now that it's all flared up in the media again I'm questioning my decision. He's poorly at the moment and last night peaked with a temp of over 39 degrees, hacking cough etc and I've had a horrible couple of days with him being ill. I've just tried to keep my rational head on and treat him with Calpol and fluids and hope it's enough. It's heart-wrenching to see him suffer and wonder if I could have made a wrong decision somewhere down the line.

It was rushed through, I think that was revealed in the media a bit later on when everyone calmed down from the hype. Anyway the thousands of deaths predicted never materialised thank god. Chez will know more but my feeling is that Govt are often the worst at dealing with health crisis moments and just do stuff to cover their arses rather than the correct interventions.

39 is high. I remember a couple of years ago Hannah had 40 and we were shitting it, but 3/4 days and she was a right as rain. Children have amazing powers of survival and recovery.

I hear what you're saying, there is a lot of pressure about correct behaviour and procedures with regard to a childs health in the media and from other mothers and so on...But I'd take a mother intuition over anything on this planet.

It was rushed through, I think that was revealed in the media a bit later on when everyone calmed down from the hype. Anyway the thousands of deaths predicted never materialised thank god. Chez will know more but my feeling is that Govt are often the worst at dealing with health crisis moments and just do stuff to cover their arses rather than the correct interventions.

39 is high. I remember a couple of years ago Hannah had 40 and we were shitting it, but 3/4 days and she was a right as rain. Children have amazing powers of survival and recovery.

I hear what you're saying, there is a lot of pressure about correct behaviour and procedures with regard to a childs health in the media and from other mothers and so on...But I'd take a mother intuition over anything on this planet.

Tis so worrying when they are little and poorly :nah: Well any age really. Our son was rushed in to hospital last year with kidney problems and I actually felt sick with the worry.

When he was little, whatever virus or bug he contracted he always got a really high temperature, which a couple of times resulted in a convulsion. Really scarey at the time, but like you say Cath, just keep your sensible mummy/nursey head on and give regular Calpol, plenty of fluids and keep him cool. Hope the little darling gets better soon. xx

Thanks Bev. It's hard at the minute cos I've had to deal with 2 babies in the last few weeks at work who have had suspected swine flu and we've had to intubate them and transfer them to PICU. Too close to home at times.

However, I think a heavy cold is what we're dealing with at the moment as he's still demanding "weeties!!" and lollies :lol: (Aren't ice-lollies great for toddlers with temperatures! Everyone's a winner)

Thanks Bev. It's hard at the minute cos I've had to deal with 2 babies in the last few weeks at work who have had suspected swine flu and we've had to intubate them and transfer them to PICU. Too close to home at times.

However, I think a heavy cold is what we're dealing with at the moment as he's still demanding "weeties!!" and lollies :lol: (Aren't ice-lollies great for toddlers with temperatures! Everyone's a winner)

I can understand what you're saying Cath, because of your work you are all too well aware how things can go. But like you say its a good sign he wants his 'weeties' :nah: Lollies are just fantastic, though when mine was little it was ice-pops!

Oh and I don't regulate his play. He was trying to feed his dinner to the cat yesterday and I just let him do that too...

:nah:

Cats are ace for children to have around.

Until their shit turns them blind.

:lol: All part of the learning process.

Pah and Bollox to your books! :lol: Our son is all grown up and I'm very proud of him. He's decent, honest, intelligent, has a good sense of humour and good morals too. I was very young when I had him and basically hubby and I didnt have a clue! But we loved and looked after him and taught him respect and always listened to him and made time to do things together. Thats what its all about. We are all very close. :nah:

Absolutely 100% agree.

At the end of the day you can only ever do what you think is best at that time. Sometimes you'll be wrong but usually mostly right.

The swine flu thing is a nightmare, especially after that perfectly healthy 3 year old succumbed at Christmas.

My understanding is they have to be over six months old but I think I would get my little un done when I can ( subject to a bit more research).

I'm also looking to get it myself given the job I do. I don't want to bring it home.

Home your little ones better soon but don't rule out the GP's if your not sure. I only say that as iirc your in nursing??? and nurses are terrible for not wanting to "bother" gps. I say that having a mother and four sisters who are nurses!

Edited by Christmas Tree

I got a message on friday at work offering the flu jab to me and the family.

Our lass is a pharmacist, asked for her thoughts tonight and she reckons neither the girl or us needs to get flu jabs. However, when i asked her if it was her personal or professional opinion, she said she didnt really have a professional one. Not that helpful really :lol:

Seeing the reaction the girl had on her arm to one of the MMRs was a bit concerning. Its fine now but was a bit minging for a while. As a harm/risk its nothing compared to the disease being protected against, which should be used to guide decisions like these. For the flu jab, the harm/risk trade-off is not clear since the getting a strain of flu builds immunity against the virus anyway. How any evolved strain of the virus will be protected against is unclear. So there is an argument not to get a flu jab. The other side of the argument must be that if the person is at risk of not recovering from the virus then clearly the harm/risk trade-off is clear.

Anyway Parky, am not really one for reading books at the minute, i tried a few beforehand but taking things as they come. Concentrating on the simple things and being chill has meant that we've got a chilled kid. Cuter than words can describe.

I did read a review of a book that came out last year by some bloke which caused a stir saying that until a child turns 3 they cant distinguish right from wrong or something.