Stephen Ireland...

Shear3r

Can't believe people are turning noses up at him tbh. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we sign anyone in this window let alone a player of irelands class. Anyway, a good manager will build a system to incorporate his best players. There's definitely room for him in our starting 11. I agree with stevie - he looks the type that needs an arm around the shoulder and a manager that tells him he believes in him

Wouldnt get in my first 11 (all being fit)

Edited by Christmas Tree

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's important to look at the formation he was in at City, compared to the role he was asked to play with Villa. Also I think if we mimic Chelsea's succesful formation I think we could get the best from him.

Now, this is a comparison of positions and roles, not quality; In front of their back four they had Makelele, we have Tioté a combative, ultra defensive calming influence at the back. They had Drogba, we have Carroll; a strong mobile aggressive good in the air man who can lead the line. etc. etc.

It could be that Ireland could perform the same role as Lampard did, or maybe J.Cole (when he was in that team)

When he was playing well for city, he had the license to break with the play and link up with Bellamy et al because he had a defensive unit behind him that could be relied upon. I don't think you can compare his form for a disjointed unhappy Villa side for that of a man who is player of the year one minute and out the door the next. Not a single Villa fan would have complained about his signing and I don't think we should either.

Yes he's got issues but hasn't Carroll? Doesn't Barton? Ben Arfa, Nolan, etc. etc. etc.

I think this would be a good signing and especially as a Loan Deal would render the greatest fears about it moot.

again, no surprise CT has no idea who a player is...

re: 1st 11

-----------Krul/Harper

Simpson Collo Will/Saylor Jose

--------------Tioté

-Barton Nolan/Ireland Ben Arfa

------------Nolan/Ireland

--------Carroll

imo

Can't believe people are turning noses up at him tbh. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we sign anyone in this window let alone a player of irelands class. Anyway, a good manager will build a system to incorporate his best players. There's definitely room for him in our starting 11. I agree with stevie - he looks the type that needs an arm around the shoulder and a manager that tells him he believes in him

who keeps him out like? Shola-gol? Leon 'simply the' Best?

I think it's important to look at the formation he was in at City, compared to the role he was asked to play with Villa. Also I think if we mimic Chelsea's succesful formation I think we could get the best from him.

Now, this is a comparison of positions and roles, not quality; In front of their back four they had Makelele, we have Tioté a combative, ultra defensive calming influence at the back. They had Drogba, we have Carroll; a strong mobile aggressive good in the air man who can lead the line. etc. etc.

It could be that Ireland could perform the same role as Lampard did, or maybe J.Cole (when he was in that team)

When he was playing well for city, he had the license to break with the play and link up with Bellamy et al because he had a defensive unit behind him that could be relied upon. I don't think you can compare his form for a disjointed unhappy Villa side for that of a man who is player of the year one minute and out the door the next. Not a single Villa fan would have complained about his signing and I don't think we should either.

Yes he's got issues but hasn't Carroll? Doesn't Barton? Ben Arfa, Nolan, etc. etc. etc.

I think this would be a good signing and especially as a Loan Deal would render the greatest fears about it moot.

For the love of sweet Jesus do you ever listen. :jesuswept: (Rhetorical btw).

I have lost count of the times I have mentioned that I rarely, (By rarely, consider your sex life), watch other teams play football. Even when we play other teams I pay little attention to their players. I appreciate its weird, but hey ho.

Even though I watched the Tottenham game, I would struggle to name more than 4 or 5 players who started the game.

As a side note on this discussion I also think its fair to say that a lot of people would know a hell of lot less if it wasn't for the likes of football manager and Fifa on ps3.

To sum up, I would say there are quite a few on here that....Talk....a ....good.....game....(literally). ;)

Not counting real football Gods like Stevie, Alex and 3 or 4 others who seam to really know their stuff.

who keeps him out like? Shola-gol? Leon 'simply the' Best?

Krul

Simpson Taylor Collochini Enrique

Barton Tiote Nolan LuaLua

Carroll Ben Arfa

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
Can I say CUNT on this board?

Personally I don't think that type of language is appropriate on a family message board. Tone that side down in future.

For the love of sweet Jesus do you ever listen. ;) (Rhetorical btw).

I have lost count of the times I have mentioned that I rarely, (By rarely, consider your sex life), watch other teams play football. Even when we play other teams I pay little attention to their players. I appreciate its weird, but hey ho.

:jesuswept:

*applauds*

Lua Lua! :jesuswept: What a fucking mong!

Your obsession with Jonas Manuel Gutierrez (specifically, his negatives) is borderline psychotic. PLEASE SEEK HELP! I don't want to see you on the news outside SJP, standing over a dead Argentine with girly hair, holding Xisco as a hostage (for what purpose, I wonder?) while Gazza heads over with some KFC! You have a problem and you need professional treatment!

EDIT: I certainly do agree with you, however, that Ireland doesn't get in our first XI when everyone's fit.

Edited by acrossthepond

Lua lua man ffs. Behave will ya

This comment will come back to haunt you. :jesuswept:

In two or three years time maybe. I hope lua lua does go on to be as good as ireland. You're nuts to suggest he'd keep him out the side now mind.

Personally I don't think that type of language is appropriate on a family message board. Tone that side down in future.

Family Message Board but you have a guy wanking as a quick pick emoticon, pull the other one

Lua Lua! :jesuswept: What a fucking mong!

Your obsession with Jonas Manuel Gutierrez (specifically, his negatives) is borderline psychotic. PLEASE SEEK HELP! I don't want to see you on the news outside SJP, standing over a dead Argentine with girly hair, holding Xisco as a hostage (for what purpose, I wonder?) while Gazza heads over with some KFC! You have a problem and you need professional treatment!

EDIT: I certainly do agree with you, however, that Ireland doesn't get in our first XI when everyone's fit.

Go on then. Who keeps him out? Don't say jonas.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

Family Message Board but you have a guy wanking as a quick pick emoticon, pull the other one

There's a few glinches in the frame work of the board. It was originally designed as a family message board of Middlesbrough FC.

Lua Lua! ;) What a fucking mong!

Honestly its not an obsession, :jesuswept: I just think he's very poor.

Granted he had a decent game overall against Tottenham and everyone was getting overly excited. Even so, it was only the sort of performance that a good left winger should be putting in every week.

I think we are assembling a very very exciting first 11 and too me, he is the weak link. We cant afford to rely on a decent performance once every few months. He should be doing what Collochini did on Saturday.

The problem I and you have, is that this argument will rattle on until we have another player in that position who gets a go. Ferguson keeps getting on the subs bench so he's definitely a possibility and Lua Lua should get the chance to see if his sublime lower league performances can be re-created in the prem.

For me, Jonas is one of those players where my heart tends to sink when he gets the ball.

There's a few glinches in the frame work of the board. It was originally designed as a family message board of Middlesbrough FC.

Then why is there not an emoticon of a smoggie fucking his sister right at the top

Then why is there not an emoticon of a smoggie fucking his sister right at the top

:jesuswept:

Do you mean to say that Ireland will play on the left wing? It's not Jonas keeping him out, it's Nolan and Tiote. And if you want to go down the route of 4-5-1, well, I'm not going to say that Ireland isn't better than Shola, but I don't think 4-5-1 is our best formation and I still don't think it would be even if we were to get Ireland.

We need to replace Shola, but not with Nolan behind Carroll imo. We need to replace him with a better striker, and the pursuit of that better striker is what I think our chief transfer aim should be in this window.

Do you mean to say that Ireland will play on the left wing? It's not Jonas keeping him out, it's Nolan and Tiote. And if you want to go down the route of 4-5-1, well, I'm not going to say that Ireland isn't better than Shola, but I don't think 4-5-1 is our best formation and I still don't think it would be even if we were to get Ireland.

We need to replace Shola, but not with Nolan behind Carroll imo. We need to replace him with a better striker, and the pursuit of that better striker is what I think our chief transfer aim should be in this window.

no, i wouldn't play ireland wide left.

tbh, i agree about needing new strikers. most of our current lot are crap.

but it doesn't look like we're getting one. there might be something in the ireland story. were we to get him, you can guarantee he'd walk into our starting 11. can't think of anyone that would keep him out. re: systems: a good manager will play the best available players and choose the system to suit them.

Edited by Dr Gloom

there would be if they'd made a statue of it.

You've already said you know nothing about him man :jesuswept:;):lol: