Smith vrs Guthrie

KeithJ

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
Not sure where this obsession with a defensive midfielder comes from anyway. The position doesn't really exist in a conventional 4-4-2 which is, more or less what we play. I'd be inclined to play Nolan and Barton in the middle over the two mentioned though.

The thing is Fergie thought of Smith as defensive midfielder, so the rest of the footballing world thought ah well if Fergie thinks he's mint in that holding role he must be. He's dire, I can type sober this morning even though I'm suffering THE worst hangover ever in life, and I can say truthfully I didn't want Smith to get hurt yesterday, but I was delighted when he went off. I mean even saying he's a disgrace, I'm probably wrong for that, he tries his best he's just fuckin pish. I'd try my best, I'd probably get booed like, but he shouldn't play for us again. That side ways pass he gave Barton after about 15-20 mins 4 men on him I just lot it and shouted get that cunt off now. Hopefully there'll be a dignified exit this window.

Regarding DMC's Alex, they're spoiling football, I was waiting for Sevilla beating Espanyol the other other night for over 500 quid, and Espanyol had 3 people doing fuck all but sitting in front of the back four, no wonder football and the World Cup last year in particular is now boring as fuck.

I was pleased when he went off too. Basically, he does nothing well any more. He wasn't even that good last season. He started well and got worse imo, and also, to borrow Chez's phrase, benefitted from lower expectations. Nolan visibly benefitted last year when Smith got injured and Guthrie came in instead. Like you say, Smith tries but, if anything, that just shows even more clearly that he's absolutely finished.

He was shite or average in most games. To be fair first ten minutes he seemed really up for it yesterday, but then he started getting more of the ball than usual, and let's be honest the more of the game he's involved in the shiter he is. Nice little row with Bramble though.

Not sure where this obsession with a defensive midfielder comes from anyway. The position doesn't really exist in a conventional 4-4-2 which is, more or less what we play. I'd be inclined to play Nolan and Barton in the middle over the two mentioned though.

The midfielder who sits deeper and wins the ball/puts in tackles. The thing Tiote does to a tee

Well yeah but he doesn't just sit there in a 4-4-2. Obviously Nolan is further forward but Tiote gets all around the pitch and doesn't play the position in the way Makelele did at Chelsea in a midfield 3/5 with wingers. I don't think either Barton or Colocinni are suited to that role either way and you'd also be removing two of the best players in the side from roles they're far more suited to.

Agree Tiote offers a lot more than that and I think Nolan would struggle with it. Barton Proberbly would be able to but not as well as Tiote but a mile bettet than Smith or Guthrie.

Goes to show how important Tiote is

The midfielder who sits deeper and wins the ball/puts in tackles. The thing Tiote does to a tee

Well yeah but he doesn't just sit there in a 4-4-2. Obviously Nolan is further forward but Tiote gets all around the pitch and doesn't play the position in the way Makelele did at Chelsea in a midfield 3/5 with wingers. I don't think either Barton or Colocinni are suited to that role either way and you'd also be removing two of the best players in the side from roles they're far more suited to.

Agree Tiote offers a lot more than that and I think Nolan would struggle with it. Barton Proberbly would be able to but not as well as Tiote but a mile bettet than Smith or Guthrie.

Goes to show how important Tiote is

Barton would get about 15 bookings a match if he played the Tiote role

Regarding DMC's Alex, they're spoiling football, I was waiting for Sevilla beating Espanyol the other other night for over 500 quid, and Espanyol had 3 people doing fuck all but sitting in front of the back four, no wonder football and the World Cup last year in particular is now boring as fuck.

That seems to be a reccuring theme in Spanish football these days. I was watching Almeria play Real Madrid - Almeria at home and all they did was defend, everyone behind the ball not even trying to play the game. You can see what they're getting at, they didn't want to get lashed like when Barcelona beat them 0-8 but at the same time they may as well suspend all betting and play behind closed doors.