The Goalkeeping situation.

Park Life

Guest alex
Why is Krul not playing in the first team. His distribution was great and looked very commanding coming out into the box to catch balls.

Right again :gay:

April 2009 for the record, before Happy Face mis-quotes me.

Hardly a lone voice, Krul has been hugely popular since his 'unbelievable' debut.

I reckon I was more right about him than you...

The BBC commentator was a bell end wasn't he?

Reckoned few of the travelling support would have a clue who Krul was. The entire bar was disgusted with him, even before he pulled off some great saves. Rarely has a player had 2 better initial first team starts.

His punching worried me a tad...but no more than Harpers (which led to the goal).

:)

Not sure if he had made his debut when I said that (cant recall and havent checked before you get too excited), but my comments were made having watched him in the reserves the night before and I probably was a lone' ish "contrary" voice at the time. :icon_lol:

He had. It was away to Palermo in the Uefa Cup under Roeder. Luque scored the winner.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if he had made his debut when I said that (cant recall and havent checked before you get too excited), but my comments were made having watched him in the reserves the night before and I probably was a lone' ish "contrary" voice at the time. :icon_lol:

From the same thread....

does anyone know the routine at reserve matches.

Do you have to sit in your own seat?

Are all parts of the ground open etc?

Overall highly reccomend a night at the reserves for anyone who has never been.

And you expect me to believe you've been going regular since Keegan got in his chopper? :gay:

I'd see how much Brum would be willing to part with for Ben Foster. Better than Krul and Harper by far.

I think a lot of the time people think other teams keepers will be miles better when in truth we havnt over examined their every mistake like we do with Harper and Krul. I would agree Foster is better on paper but not by as great a margin as people reckon. I think both Harper and Krul are decent premier league keepers, both flawed. Krul being so young means he could step up to that next level over time and should be first choice now in case we end up losing him.

Edited by TicTacWoe

But I must say I can only remember Stoke away as being a dodgy game for Harper. He's always been a consistently good 'keeper all round for us when called upon. Makes some very important saves that earn us points and I think there are points we lost with Krul this season. That said, Tim certainly has potential to go far from what I can see. Distribution is definitely the worst aspect of his game for my money but that can be worked on over the years. He can also look a bit dodgy coming out to deal with crosses/set pieces.

I'd say keep Harper in next season and we might have to keep Forster to see how he does when Harper is inevitably injured at some point next season, with Krul going out on loan somewhere. At some point we'll have to decide whether Krul or Forster is higher in the pecking order.

So now we have to choose between getting rid of Celtic's 1st choice keeper or Holland's 1st choice keeper? Would it not make more sense to get rid of Harper seeing as he's getting on a bit and was never international class anyway?

No problem with Harper staying on, just with more of a fight on his hands. Would be good to have him as back up to one of the others, then whoever is left out can go out on loan.

Don't think either of them will be happy to go out on loan next season

I doubt either would be happy sitting on our bench either so whatever happens Harper would be decent back up (as he would be more likely to settle for that).

I say we start with Krul, he's an international, promising young keeper now. If we give him 7 or 8 games and he turns out to be total shit than forget it, but otherwise, it makes no sense to keep on playing Harper at his age.

• 5 months later...

Lads, Lads, Lads......lifes too short to do the whole I was right about this or that bla bla bla routine.

In fairness, Krul was an easy "spot" because he was so different to what Harper offered and was full of bags of confidence. Im sure many others thought he would do well and it was really just a case of when, not if.

He's currently fighting it out with Shane for my affections.

Really pleased for Krul though. You can see in every game he gives his absolute all (which sounds odd for a goally) but he does and he's getting his rewards.

Got to love your football and this team of battlers at the minute. To think we were worried in the summer who the leaders / battlers would be......Got loads of them.

Massive credit to the silver fox.

An article by Zonal Marking on goalkeepers ball retention.

An excellent piece as per usual. Anyone interested at all in the tactical side of the game should have a gander at the site.

Cox(the author) seems to be having a good look at keepers lately. He recently did a piece on how effective Wolves were when forcing Reina to go long. The pass completion rate was terrible. Swansea rely on Worm to play out very similarly. It'll be interesting to see if we push up on them in 2 weeks time to try and force them long.

Guest CabayeAye

I have Krul as 4/5 best PL keeper this season. His push for the No.1 jersey is fully vindicated. Great shot stopper and instictive. Will be Hollands no.1 for years to come.

He's been the best bar none so far this season.