The Goalkeeping situation.

Park Life

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Krul number 1 for me. Haven't seen Forster so can't comment on him.

Why?

Ths season...

Harper has conceded a goal every 71 minutes.

Krul has conceded a goal every 53 minutes

Harper has kept 6 clean shees out of 18 which is 33%

Krul has kept 4 clean shees out of 21 which is 19%

And Lovenkrands is the third most accurate striker in the Premiership according to Opta..... :gay:

I personally think Krul offers so much more and as Clee says, has all his best years ahead. Sure Krul is still learning but I think he has all more round ability than Harper. He comes for stuff and controls his box in a way Harper never has or will.

Krul will only get better, Harper will only get worse. (In my humble opinion).

Krul doesn't control his box, he comes out flailing like Mark Kermode during a Pirates of the Carribean review.

I agree with your last sentence, but it says more about how much Krul needs to improve to be as good as Harper. Not sure why you see it as a reason to start with Krul.

Krul might flap, but Harper is too static. Easier to limit Kruls flapping than to make Harper mobile.

Its quite funny how a team goes through periods of time where we have no choice in a position to being blessed with a feast of options.

Butt and Smith to.....what look likes a feast in midfield.

Four goalies to choose from, three of whom seem very canny. Know little about the fourth bloke.

Just a famine in the striker department and some more defenders.

Be cracking if we can put that right.

Thats the point like.....You can limit Kruls flapping anf refine his game while you cant make an ageing Harper more mobile.

Kruls the future, good enough to start for Holland and keep a clean sheet against a full strength Brazil.

No doubt he has flaws in his game but massive potential and time well on his side.

Krul number 1 for me, Harper on the bench for one more season and Forster back out to Celtic of another decent club where he will get more 1st team football.

Simples :gay:

Guest alex

On the face of it Krul has the potential to be better than Harper. Not least due to his physical presence. He needs to iron out his decision making and kicking though.

Guest alex
Start your best players I say.

Phil Airey has the potential to be better than Ameobi buit no-one's suggesting.....

:gay:

I think Harper v Krul is quite a marginal call anyway though tbh and Harper can't have many seasons left in him.

On the face of it Krul has the potential to be better than Harper. Not least due to his physical presence. He needs to iron out his decision making and kicking though.

Agreed. That much is crystal clear but he is only going to do that by playing in the 1st team.

Phil Airey has the potential to be better than Ameobi buit no-one's suggesting.....

I've went from thinking you had a good balanced opinion on things newcastle but now starting to realise all you do is talk absolute shit.

Airey has promise and potential but has he done ANYTHING in the PL? No.

Has Krul? Yes. And in europe fwiw.

Edited by Tioté's Nutz

:)

I've went from thinking you had a good balanced opinion on things newcastle but now starting to realise all you do is talk absolute shit.

Airey has promise and potential but has he done ANYTHING in the PL? No.

Has Krul? Yes. And in europe fwiw.

This must be how Stewart Lee feels :icon_lol:

I think Harper v Krul is quite a marginal call anyway though tbh and Harper can't have many seasons left in him.

Rock, paper, scissors between the two.

Can't say fairer than that

Apparently he played great for Holland in his debut. I know he's been shakey at times but for a 23 year old keeper he is doing well. People like Friedel and Van der Sar weren't at the top of their games until much later in their careers. I just think we could end up with serious egg on out faces if we give up on Krul.

Apparently he played great for Holland in his debut. I know he's been shakey at times but for a 23 year old keeper he is doing well. People like Friedel and Van der Sar weren't at the top of their games until much later in their careers. I just think we could end up with serious egg on out faces if we give up on Krul.

so has Joe Hart (saturday night anyone?) but I bet few Citeh fans would opt to stick Shay back between the sticks...

so has Joe Hart (saturday night anyone?) but I bet few Citeh fans would opt to stick Shay back between the sticks...

that said, his kicking from the ground is woeful, I can barely bring myself to watch if someone plays it back to him and there's a hint of pressure.

that said, his kicking from the ground is woeful, I can barely bring myself to watch if someone plays it back to him and there's a hint of pressure.

I used to be like that with Pav.

Why is Krul not playing in the first team. His distribution was great and looked very commanding coming out into the box to catch balls.

Right again :gay:

April 2009 for the record, before Happy Face mis-quotes me.

Hardly a lone voice, Krul has been hugely popular since his 'unbelievable' debut.

I reckon I was more right about him than you...

The BBC commentator was a bell end wasn't he?

Reckoned few of the travelling support would have a clue who Krul was. The entire bar was disgusted with him, even before he pulled off some great saves. Rarely has a player had 2 better initial first team starts.

His punching worried me a tad...but no more than Harpers (which led to the goal).

:icon_lol:

Edited by Happy Face

Why is Krul not playing in the first team. His distribution was great and looked very commanding coming out into the box to catch balls.

Right again :gay:

April 2009 for the record, before Happy Face mis-quotes me.

Hardly a lone voice, Krul has been hugely popular since his 'unbelievable' debut.

I reckon I was more right about him than you...

The BBC commentator was a bell end wasn't he?

Reckoned few of the travelling support would have a clue who Krul was. The entire bar was disgusted with him, even before he pulled off some great saves. Rarely has a player had 2 better initial first team starts.

His punching worried me a tad...but no more than Harpers (which led to the goal).

:)

Not sure if he had made his debut when I said that (cant recall and havent checked before you get too excited), but my comments were made having watched him in the reserves the night before and I probably was a lone' ish "contrary" voice at the time. :icon_lol:

Harper is no better. Stoke away this season for example!

Guest alex
Pav was excellent with the ball on the deck.

But he has a tendency for taking an opposition player on (admittedly usually successfully), hence the "cant watch" bit.

What I liked about him was he only did it when the situation called for it, i.e. not to be flashy but to drop the shoulder when 1) it was safe and 2) there was a danger the ball might've been charged down by the onrushing player.