The Goalkeeping situation.

Park Life

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Harps is pretty decent tbh. Look at the likes of Carson and Foster who are both prone to errors as is Green

Im not a big fan of Krul, good stopper but his positioning isnt great and don't think he instills confidence in the back 4. May improve with age but wouldn't be my first choice next season

• 4 weeks later...
Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew has told Celtic that he will definitely recall goalkeeper Fraser Forster, currently on a season-long loan at Parkhead, to St James' Park.

The 22-year-old has recorded 13 clean sheets in 27 appearances since moving north in August, allowing Celtic to boast the best defensive record in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.

Pardew has been impressed by Forster's fortitude and wants him to vie with Steve Harper and Tim Krul for a starting role with Newcastle next season.

"He'll come back here next year and he'll be trying to be No 1," said Pardew. "I really like him: we're keeping a close eye on him and his progress.

"You are talking about a guy who got a League One medal last year with Norwich and could get a Scottish Premier League one this year, in only his second full season.

"Some players play for 20 years and don't get a medal at all. It's an amazing opportunity for him. You can't foresee what it is going to happen.

"All I know for certain is at the start of next summer I will have three good keepers."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...n-campaign.html

As far as I'm concerned, we have three very good 'keepers. For years now it's been our best position. Don't get why anyone's having a go at Harper, he's been unlucky to have been given's understudy for much of his career and now he's putting in impressive displays.

Will be interesting to see how it develops with Forster (who incidentally Celtic fans I know have been raving about) when he returns next season.

After a conversation last week, Forster is not what we're expecting. He has a massive ego in the SPL, "I'm on the books at Newcastle blah blah". And was told by Aberdeen player that Boruc was much better. He needs to improve massively if he's to take our no.1 shirt.

I would imagine he'll be recalled and immediately slap in a transfer request. Theres no way hes going to accept playing second string when he could be looking at Champions League games instead.

This, unfortunately. He's had too much of a taste for first team football to be content warming the bench. I heard the other week that our new GK coach doesn't think Krul can cut it and has recommended we get rid and move for Kieran Westwood. Don't take that as ITK though unless my dad has connections he's not telling me about...

• 3 months later...
From the Dutch media, Wednesday (translated):

Tim Krul refuses to return to Newcastle as the second choice goalkeeper. Last season he played 25 matches for the Premier League club and wants more.

"I am 23 years and now just want to play a whole season. I will tell the trainer when I return the club."

"Initially I replaced goalkeeper (Steve) Harper, but was on the bench when Alan Pardew took over from Chris Hughton. Harper then got injured again and I played a series of good games to the end of the season when the manager trusted me as the first-choice goalkeeper.

"Something like that has to happen in the new season, otherwise it makes no sense to stay at Newcastle."

Ths season...

Harper has conceded a goal every 71 minutes.

Krul has conceded a goal every 53 minutes

Harper has kept 6 clean shees out of 18 which is 33%

Krul has kept 4 clean shees out of 21 which is 19%

He wants to pipe down and start working out when to stay on his line.

Edited by Happy Face

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering how many more years Harper has left. Not that I want him out or anything, just a little worried about our goalkeeping future as I doubt Forster and Krul will stuck around for too long until one or the other is given the #1 shirt to keep.

Krul number 1 for me. Haven't seen Forster so can't comment on him.

Why?

Ths season...

Why?

Ths season...

Krul has time to progress, Harper hasn't. And Forster is a joke to me, not even counted. Give Krul the number 1 shirt

Why?

Ths season...

And Lovenkrands is the third most accurate striker in the Premiership according to Opta..... :gay:

I personally think Krul offers so much more and as Clee says, has all his best years ahead. Sure Krul is still learning but I think he has all more round ability than Harper. He comes for stuff and controls his box in a way Harper never has or will.

Krul will only get better, Harper will only get worse. (In my humble opinion).

Krul makes too many mistakes, but has better command of his area(crosses/corners/deep free kicks)

Harper rarely makes mistakes(due to the fact he doesn't come for crosses).

If I was Rapey, I'd go with Harper for another season.

Why?

Ths season...

And Lovenkrands is the third most accurate striker in the Premiership according to Opta..... :gay:

I personally think Krul offers so much more and as Clee says, has all his best years ahead. Sure Krul is still learning but I think he has all more round ability than Harper. He comes for stuff and controls his box in a way Harper never has or will.

Krul will only get better, Harper will only get worse. (In my humble opinion).

Krul doesn't control his box, he comes out flailing like Mark Kermode during a Pirates of the Carribean review.

I agree with your last sentence, but it says more about how much Krul needs to improve to be as good as Harper. Not sure why you see it as a reason to start with Krul.

but it says more about how much Krul needs to improve to be as good as Harper. Not sure why you see it as a reason to start with Krul.

yeah but he's never gonna improve sitting on the bench tho......

fwiw, i agree with Happy. Harpers the better (all round) keeper atm and if I was the philandering type I would start him as my no1 next season.

hum tuff call between thease two keepers krul and harper hum er id say loan krul out and use harper

Edited by DEADMAN