The Goalkeeping situation.

Park Life

Are people happy with Krul and Harper for next season? Harper is really getting on my nerves now and Krul although good doesn't seem quite ready enough to step in full time. Good shot stopper but an error ridden overall game.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested in seeing Foster. The other 2 don't fil me with confidence. Harsh maybe, but Krul looms nervous/flappy at times and his kicking can be shite.

Then Harper goes walkabout at one stage 2nd half today and pushes a shot into the 6yard box in the 94th minute. They're both decent, but hopefully Krul steps up or Foster does.

Edit: Forster

Edited by Barney

Although Krul is probably the better shot stopper, I think a lot of his decisions are too rash at the moment.

i.e. Harper wouldn't have saved Nasri's shot at Arsenal, but more than likely wouldn't have gifted Man City their opener.

I'd have Harper in for now as I believe he adds a calmness and assuredness to our back line, which massively helps Coloccini.

Jesus, 1 mistake and he is crap. I think he was fairly unlucky to get punished for that anyway.

This.

Let's not forget the save he made from Bent.

He's no world beater, but as stated earlier, we have more need in other positions before we talk of peddling Harper.

Both showcasing their limitations behind an actually relatively decent back four sadly.

That's the conundrum. The back four are shaping up nicely now and for the first time in a long while my gaze has turned to the keepers.

I don't mind Krul or Harper but neither of them really stand out as being better than the other. Krul has made some bad mistakes, and seemingly continues to chance it/miss-kick it badly with his clearances. Harper isn't good at holding onto shots, and pushing them into dangerous positions. Krul too has shaky hands at times. Fraser Forster could be the anwser otherwise I'm not too bothered either way with Krul or Harper - whoever communicates best with our defense - something that's hard to tell when watching.

I have a feeling Forster is going to jump to the front of the queue when he comes back. I like Krul and I think he's a better 'keeper than Harper (who is on the way down) but he wont have the benefit of a full season of first team football like Forster has.

krul deserved to be dropped. given was dropped when his kicking was poor and didnt get reinstated until it improved (and he started bitching)

i think in 2/3 years time krul/forster will be our 2 keepers (what happens with the number 1 jersey, and if they both stay after that is another discussion to be had in 2/3 years time however), and that is a good period for them to get spells here and there, maybe one of them going on loan, and when they SHOW that they are ready, they will earn the place

My Norwich mate said he was immense for them last season and would play internationally.

Quite feasible if he gets the nod for us next season. The lack of good English goalkeepers is scary.

I see Carson got dropped for Myhill yesterday and Al Habsi has been preferred over Kirkland for months now. With Robinson and James retired and Green just generally being a terrible keeper it could well happen.

dammit. i hate it when my post is bottom of the first page. might as well have not posted it, as hardly anyones gonna see it haha

also, forster has made a few mistakes whilst at celtic, hasnt been perfect by a long way

Harper should be dropped for Krul

neither are brilliant yet, Both making mistakes, but Kruls got a chance at learning, harpers not going get any better, and i'd like to think Krul won't do any daft kicks any more

edit> and i wouldn't call Harper decent, he was a good backup for Given, but he's never a #1 in his own right, and this season again like his past one in the premiership, he's bottling it.

He's hardly bottled it. I don't recall Harper making that many mistakes this season. He's usually pretty solid. Krul looks like he could potentially be better in the long term - his shot stopping and agility is better than harper's but he's still very raw and young

Edited by Dr Gloom

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
dammit. i hate it when my post is bottom of the first page. might as well have not posted it, as hardly anyones gonna see it haha

also, forster has made a few mistakes whilst at celtic, hasnt been perfect by a long way

What mistake has Forster made then other than the OF game where his kicking was shite and they lost 1-3? The Celtic fans I know would have him permanently.

he has been indecisive at times from what ive seen. especially from crosses, not coming when he should counts as a mistake to me. as well as the kicking you mentioned.

other times he totally bosses his area though, just inconsistency which maturity will probably fix, much like kruls shortcomings.