Ranger urged to knuckle down

Tooj

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle...79310-27952949/

Young gun Nile Ranger urged to knuckle down

Jan 9 2011 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

ALAN PARDEW has warned young gun Nile Ranger he needs to show he cares about his Newcastle United career.

There have been plenty of question marks surrounding Ranger since he fell down the pecking order at the Toon.

Originally selected to start at Birmingham City last month, he is now behind Peter Lovenkrands and midweek hat-trick hero Leon Best in the queue for first-team places.

While Pardew has been quick to dismiss any talk of ill-discipline on the part of the striker, he admits he wants the 19-year-old to show more focus and passion about his United career.

The United boss told the Sunday Sun: “It is not lateness – he has only been late once so it is not a problem on that front.

“It is just about his professionalism in training and the extras you need to do.

“He trains OK, but I just feel he needs to do extra.

“He is a really lovable character but a little bit laid back at times.

“He needs to express to everyone – the players and the staff – that he cares and he is desperate to be a professional footballer.”

United handed Ranger a five-and- a-half year deal in November in recognition of his impressive potential.

However, new boss Pardew has warned that will not be enough to save his St James’ Park career if he does not start to heed the advice of senior colleagues.

He added: “You ask any young footballer in Newcastle whether they would like to play for this football club and they would all love to do it.

“He is in that position and he should honour and cherish it.

“I said to Andy Carroll ‘have a chat with Nile,’ and his response was that he has and a few of them have.

“At some point we will stop and if he has not grasped it by then he will not be here.

“It is time for him to really knuckle down and work on his game, because the one thing I will not deny is he has talent.

“He could be a big player for us – but he needs to work and get the maximum out of his game.”

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair he's not saying it's his last chance, just needs to grasp it or it will move away. Can't really do any harm to a player not exactly playing to his full potential at the moment. Not sure if there's much of a need to make it public so early though

Nothing wrong with what Pardew's saying IMO.

Nile Ranger is in an awesome position but he needs to bust his balls if he wants to make it. The fact that Carroll and others have already talked to him seems to suggest he needs a kick up the arse.

I don't see in Ranger what I saw in Carroll.

A risky game he's playing. Leaving Nile out to dry and isolating him is abysmal man management. Especially to publicise it and tell the world.

'Asked Andy to have a word with him' ? Probably not the best man to be giving advice about professionalism.

Keep it in house like Hughton.

A risky game he's playing. Leaving Nile out to dry and isolating him is abysmal man management. Especially to publicise it and tell the world.

'Asked Andy to have a word with him' ? Probably not the best man to be giving advice about professionalism.

Why are you questioning Carroll's professionalism? He is a professional footballer and is the highest scoring English player in the top league. His performance is a representation of his work on the training ground and his focus on the pitch. Thats professionalism.

Not sure the mirror story is evidence of a lack of it but you are perhaps confusing the spurious notion that a pro footballer needs to be role model too. He is an athlete so drinking is not advisable but as long as it is not excessive and regular then i dont think we should expect them to be tee-totallers.

As for Ranger, he needs to sort his ideas out. He must be lush in training because he is fucking wank on the pitch, neither in control of his body or the ball. If anyones a spastic, its him.

Why are you questioning Carroll's professionalism? He is a professional footballer and is the highest scoring English player in the top league. His performance is a representation of his work on the training ground and his focus on the pitch. Thats professionalism.

Not sure the mirror story is evidence of a lack of it but you are perhaps confusing the spurious notion that a pro footballer needs to be role model too. He is an athlete so drinking is not advisable but as long as it is not excessive and regular then i dont think we should expect them to be tee-totallers.

As for Ranger, he needs to sort his ideas out. He must be lush in training because he is fucking wank on the pitch, neither in control of his body or the ball. If anyones a spastic, its him.

Fuck off man <_< He's been done for glassing someone, done for cracking his lass, is currently injured and is at risk of missing the derby cos he was dancing on a stool pissed etc.

There's a difference between enjoying your money like most players do and being a grade A cock.

Fuck off man <_< He's been done for glassing someone, done for cracking his lass, is currently injured and is at risk of missing the derby cos he was dancing on a stool pissed etc.

There's a difference between enjoying your money like most players do and being a grade A cock.

He was already injured before that happened.

And that makes it ok <_< I'm sure getting pissed and dancing on stools when nursing a leg injury is probably not the best course of treatment. I earn in a year what he earns in a week and if I got caught doing half the things he has I'd have my registration taken off me by the NMC.

He didnt get done for glassing someone (he threw a drink), the charges about the lass were dropped and the injury wasnt because he was pissed.

You seem to enjoy your money and come over like a grade A cock too. People in glass houses and all that.

Fuck off man :rolleyes: He's been done for glassing someone, done for cracking his lass, is currently injured and is at risk of missing the derby cos he was dancing on a stool pissed etc.

He didnt get done for glassing someone (he threw a drink), the charges about the lass were dropped and the injury wasnt because he was pissed.

You seem to enjoy your money and come over like a grade A cock too. People in glass houses and all that.

He threw a drink and his hand was wet and the glass 'slipped' <_< and he did punch his lass btw, regardless of whether the charges were dropped. Being a supporter of a football club doesn't change facts. Same goes for all the clowns in the other thread playing hell that Tiote was sent off. Take those rose tinted specs off mate.

The original point that asking Andy Carroll to give advice to a young striker is crackers is a valid one.

Edited by Kid Dynamite

What I saw of Ranger in '09 I really liked. He seemed to have a bit of pace and a great ability to hold the ball up. I was impressed. Perhaps he has lost his way a bit, and maybe a goal would give him a great boost but I would like to think I wasn't wrong and he can make the grade someday.

Probably needs to get out on loan and play football regularly. We saw the benefit that regular football gave Andy Carroll.

At the start of last season, I think himself and Ranger started up top together against Ipswich, and I don't think there was much to choose between them.

I'm not questioning Carrolls professionalism. I said he's probably not the best man in the squad to be giving that advice. I'd have thought Steve Harper, Sol Campbell, Nolan etc may be better suited.

I'm not questioning Carrolls professionalism. I said he's probably not the best man in the squad to be giving that advice. I'd have thought Steve Harper, Sol Campbell, Nolan etc may be better suited.

Did he get charged?