US pro-gun congresswoman shot in the nappa

Happy Face

A US congresswoman has been shot along with several other people in Arizona, US media report.

Gabrielle Giffords, a Democratic member of the US House of Representatives, is said to have been shot in the head at point-blank range. There is no confirmation.

Reports say the shooting happened during a public event at a grocery store in the city of Tucson.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12143774

225px-Gabrielle_giffords_2009.jpg

Not saying it's the reason, but..."Giffords is pro-choice and has a 100% rating from NARAL"

"Giffords has discussed her gun ownership and support for gun rights opposing the DC gun ban "

Edited by Happy Face

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gabrielle Giffords, a Democratic US congresswoman, was shot in the head at close range while holding a public event outside a grocery store in Tucson, Arizona.

By Philip Sherwell, New York 6:43PM GMT 08 Jan 2011

At least 12 other people, including members of her staff, were reportedly hurt when a gunman ran up to the meeting and opened fire.

Miss Giffords, 40, was taken to hospital and there were no immediate reports on her condition.

An hour before her shooting, she wrote on Twitter: "My 1st Congress on Your Corner starts now. Please stop by to let me know what is on your mind or tweet me later."

Miss Giffords, who was re-elected to her third term in November, was married to Mark E. Kelly, 46, an astronaut who was the commander of the Endeavour, the final planned mission of the American space shuttle programme.

Mr Kelly's twin brother Scott is also a NASA astronaut.

Witnesses said that the gunman, descirbed as being in his late teens or early twenties, attempted to flee after firing as many as fifteen shots but he was tackled to the ground by passers-by.

Born in Tuscon, Miss Giffords was re-elected to her third term in November. Although a Democrat, she was a strong supporter of the right to bear arms.

iss Giffords had been named as a political campaign target for conservatives in November’s elections by former Alaska governor Sarah Palin for her strong support for the health reforms of President Barack Obama.

Mrs Palin had published a “target map” on her website using images of gun sights to identify 20 House Democrats, including Miss Giffords, for backing the new health care law.

The congresswoman, who is Jewish, is a gun-owner and supporter of the right to bear arms. She was also a strong advocate of abortion rights. She nonetheless won re-election to her third term in Congress.

US congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot in Arizona

A US congresswoman and several other people have been shot at a public event in southern Arizona.

President Barack Obama said Democratic Representative Gabrielle Giffords had been "gravely wounded" and that others had died in the attack.

Ms Giffords, 40, was shot in the head at close range in front of hundreds of people meeting constituents in Tucson.

A man was arrested after the shooting, in which one of Ms Giffords' aides was reported to have died.

Gabrielle Giffords Gabrielle Giffords: Regarded as a rising star in the Democratic Party

A spokeswoman for Ms Giffords denied earlier reports that the congresswoman had died, saying she was in hospital and undergoing surgery.

In a statement issued by the White House, President Barack Obama said: "This morning, in an unspeakable tragedy, a number of Americans were shot in Tucson, Arizona, at a constituent meeting with Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.

"And while we are continuing to receive information, we know that some have passed away, and that Representative Giffords is gravely wounded.

"We do not yet have all the answers. What we do know is that such a senseless and terrible act of violence has no place in a free society.

"I ask all Americans to join me and Michelle in keeping Representative Giffords, the victims of this tragedy, and their families in our prayers."

'Senseless'

She has served on several congressional committees, including those covering the armed services and foreign affairs.

Jeff Rogers, chairman of the local Democrats, said Ms Giffords was "a rising star" in the party with hopes of eventually winning the Arizona Senate seat.

"That is terrible news," he told BBC News, describing her as "a wonderful congresswoman and a wonderful person".

He added: "We just can't continue to have this kind of carnage on school campuses and against public officials."

The Speaker of the House of the House or Representatives, John Boehner, said: "I am horrified by the senseless attack on Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and members of her staff.

"An attack on one who serves is an attack on all who serve. Acts and threats of violence against public officials have no place in our society. Our prayers are with Congresswoman Giffords, her staff, all who were injured, and their families. This is a sad day for our country."

A US congresswoman has been shot along with several other people in Arizona, US media report.

Gabrielle Giffords, a Democratic member of the US House of Representatives, is said to have been shot in the head at point-blank range. There is no confirmation.

Reports say the shooting happened during a public event at a grocery store in the city of Tucson.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12143774

225px-Gabrielle_giffords_2009.jpg

Not saying it's the reason, but..."Giffords is pro-choice and has a 100% rating from NARAL"

"Giffords has discussed her gun ownership and support for gun rights opposing the DC gun ban "

Irony at its finest

i·ro·ny

1    /ˈaɪrəni, ˈaɪər-/ Show Spelled[ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-] Show IPA

–noun, plural -nies.

the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.

Literature .

a.

a technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.

b.

(esp. in contemporary writing) a manner of organizing a work so as to give full expression to contradictory or complementary impulses, attitudes, etc., esp. as a means of indicating detachment from a subject, theme, or emotion.

Socratic irony.

dramatic irony.

an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.

the incongruity of this.

an objectively sardonic style of speech or writing.

an objectively or humorously sardonic utterance, disposition, quality, etc.

So horribly ironic and shocking <_<

Very pedantic of me but she's not been assassinated - she's still alive and has undergone surgery apparently.

I assumed a point black bullet to the head had done for her.

Hopefully totally wrong.

Local news outlets are reporting that she has now died, unconfirmed though. Will have to wait and see.

Initial reports said she'd died from her injuries but they were then retracted.

Has undergone surgery and is "fighting for her life". Doctor treating her says he's "very optimistic about her recovery".

Fucking hell though <_<

What's the big deal about her being pro gun-rights? Do you feel she is somehow responsible for this incident?

Strange question to ask me when your first post in the thread referenced her pro-gun position too.

I don't feel she is responsible at all.

Edited by Happy Face