What would it take to end the cynicism?

OTF

It's hard to fathom so quickly after the unjustified sacking of Chris Hughton, but my question is what would it take to end the cynicism that the majority of us have for fat Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias?

It would be great if we could celebrate the positives without the burning thoughts in the back of our minds regarding the overall motives of our owner.

For example;

Hatem Ben Arfa signs on a permanent deal; we all think who will be going.

The manager comes out and says that Andy Carroll will not be sold; nobody really believes it.

Leon best scores a hat-trick on his first PL start for us; we wonder if FMA will use it to justify selling AC.

For me I'd have to say it would take a consistent run of responsible decisions that show some ambition. The signing off Ben Arfa is certainly one, but it needs to be accompanied by a window and off-season where we don't sell any of our best players, and instead strengthen our squad with additional signings.

What do others want to see before they lose the cynicism (apart from the back of FMA and DL)?

I find myself being cynical with everything that happens.

Walking back to the car tonight and I was thinking the fat man will find it easier to sell Carroll with a 5-0 win and a starting debut hat trick.

It will take a good couple of seasons before I start to believe he has the clubs interests at heart.

I find myself being cynical with everything that happens.

Walking back to the car tonight and I was thinking the fat man will find it easier to sell Carroll with a 5-0 win and a starting debut hat trick.

It will take a good couple of seasons before I start to believe he has the clubs interests at heart.

I don't think I ever will believe it.

Never believe a word. Never give them an inch. Never forgive and never forget.

The man I hold the most hatred towards in my career. Any success we may have won't be Because of him, it'll be inspite of him.

He could go a long way towards building bridges in this transfer window. He just needs to show some ambition. Football fans are generally a fickle and forgiving bunch if things are going well on the pitch. If he put his finger in his pocket, hung on to our best players and got us back into Europe, the fcb chants would cease pretty quickly.

The problem is there's no sign of him doing it - he blatantly has no regard at all for the fans. Some of his decisions-like sacking keegan and hughton and the stadium naming rights - show he has zero interest in winning us over, that has to change if he wants support from the terraces.

Never believe a word. Never give them an inch. Never forgive and never forget.

The man I hold the most hatred towards in my career. Any success we may have won't be Because of him, it'll be inspite of him.

Who are you :huff:

The list of fuck ups still outpace anything right he has done. But perhaps Pardew will be the first manager who knows how to get the best out of the muppets upstairs?

Honestly?

A couple of seasons where I can see a genuine effort to improve our lot. So strengthening where possible, not selling our best players, supporting the manager with cash when it's necessary, comments when they're needed and at no other time.

Even if he spends the money and shuts up and improves the facilities or whatever, even if he does this and we remain 8th because of things outside of our control, then so be it, but as long as we look like we're trying to make progress I'll slowly lose my contempt for the man.

One or two windows will not change my mind.

Honestly?

A couple of seasons where I can see a genuine effort to improve our lot. So strengthening where possible, not selling our best players, supporting the manager with cash when it's necessary, comments when they're needed and at no other time.

Even if he spends the money and shuts up and improves the facilities or whatever, even if he does this and we remain 8th because of things outside of our control, then so be it, but as long as we look like we're trying to make progress I'll slowly lose my contempt for the man.

One or two windows will not change my mind.

That's fair enough. He's largely clueless, but if he can employ enough people that have at least some idea and have or develop a passion for the club then they could nullify to some extent his ignorance. The signings of Tiote and Ben Arfa show that at least someone around the club has some idea about what's required to have us heading the right way up the table.

I do feel that we have a solid platform for making a push now, with a good core of a team with Enrique, Tiote, Barton and Carroll. Tiote provides a lot of protection for our central defense, taking the pressure off them. Couple with Enrique's pace, strength and recovery it's a pretty solid defense. They all play pretty well together which is a massive bonus that would make it easier to bring in complimentary players (as compared to Man City with their buy all mercenary players, whack them in a team together and hope they perform). Unfortunately I can't see the continual effort being put into that push from Ashley and Llambias.

For it's like if you found out your lass had been shagging every single one of your mates.

She could promise never to do it again, suck you off on demand.

Too late, damage is done. Get to fuck and watch your arse on the door as you leave.

It'll take more than winning two games on the belt against the two worst sides in the league, mate.

Of course, captain obvious.

My point more was that it would be great to be able to celebrate victories like tonights without having some burning resentment and cynicism putting a dampener on things.

Too late, damage is done. Get to fuck and watch your arse on the door as you leave.

This.

Seriously will never ever trust the bloke. He wants to make a statement of intent? Accept a reasonable offer for the club, cut your losses and accept failure to win us over. Oh aye and take your fucking SD ads with you too. I used to think Shepherd Offshore and Cameron Hall took the piss but it's nowt compared to this clown's outfit.

It'll take more than winning two games on the belt against the two worst sides in the league, mate.

My point more was that it would be great to be able to celebrate victories like tonights without having some burning resentment and cynicism putting a dampener on things.

Have avoided this thread for obvious reasons, however you should be able to enjoy this victory on the day that Ben Arfa has signed a four year deal and our manager has gone on record that it is 100% certain that Carrol will not be sold in the Jan Window.

The bottom line for me, as Ive said many times, is that since relegation we have been on an upward curve and everyone at the club seems to be rowing from the same hymnsheet.

We got the likes of Routledge and Best in last Jan and didnt lose any big guns, in the summer we got Ben Arfa and Tiote and again didnt lose any big guns and we sit here 8th in the prem, with a game in hand, being told we are not going to sell our biggest gun.

The cynicism for Ashley will never go away for most, it will just continue to dwindle, especially if we continue with the current progress.

The big unknown is what motivates him. While its true he might leave tomorrow if he got his money back, that scenario seems unlikely and I think he is on his own little mission to prove to the "football community" that he can create a succesful club.

We'll see.

I'd be surprised if the majority of us are ever comfortable with them again after the Keegan and Hughton debacles, on top of obviously being the root cause of our relegation.

I'll be cynical with regards to them for the foreseeable future because they're spineless, clueless men who don't deserve our trust. They're liars, even the legal system has described them as such.

The sad thing is that up until Hughton's dismissal, I was slowly coming around to being content at putting up with them. They weren't supporting him and the club as they should but they weren't doing anything hasty or stupid either.

If Carroll was to go - I don't think he will for the record - they would have killed off any hope of ever being accepted by the fans.

Edited by Tecato

... and everyone at the club seems to be rowing from the same hymnsheet.

:huff:

I don't like you but your post was relatively accurate, except for that horrible analogy mash-up.

If Carroll was to go - I don't think he will for the record - they would have killed off any hope of ever being accepted by the fans.

Yeah, that for me is the key and will ring their true intentions. Not just with Carroll, but with other promising young players who draw interest. That would be Enrique, Carroll, Ben Arfa and Tiote principally, and they'd need to be here across sseveral more windows to prove the intentions. Plus, Enrique should have his contract extended quick smart can't afford to let that run down and risk him eyeing off a move back to Spain. They may not be that aware of him currently but it's only a matter of time and we need to use that to our advantage to wrap him up on another lengthy contract.

This.

Seriously will never ever trust the bloke. He wants to make a statement of intent? Accept a reasonable offer for the club, cut your losses and accept failure to win us over. Oh aye and take your fucking SD ads with you too. I used to think Shepherd Offshore and Cameron Hall took the piss but it's nowt compared to this clown's outfit.

This.

In reality though, and this is testament to the man's character. The man is a reckless gambler who has refused to underwrite his own losses as well.

This is a pretty recent story. After England lost to the Croats in the European Cup qualifier he/SD tried weasel out of a contract by refusing to accept delivery [and thus not pay, i think it was Umbro - i can't remember if it was them, or Adidas after they bought out Umbro] of a bulk sized amount of replica shirts. Over 10 000 were to go Lillywhites alone. He simply got in early [before his competition did], ordered a massive quantity in bulk at a bulk/cut-price deal before England actually qualified. Basically it was his intention to saturate the market while savagely undercutting the oppositon.

His problem was [and he is a gambler] the fact they he failed to carry out due diligence, re: ordering up before the qualifiers had run their ourse. The gamble blew up in his face, and he was determined to not to bear any financial losses relating to his flawed judgment/gamble in this instance. He refused to take delivery [as mentioned] and Umbro threatened to sue for breach of contract, for which they had an iron clad case. Ashley [shite Direct] reluctantly took delivery, but still had the cheek to demand credit notes for each unit/replica that were to be eventually unsold.

The point being when in comes the ramifications of his poor business related decisions [where poor judgement is involved, thanks to a lack of due diligence] and the idea of accepting responsibility & accepting a financial loss [reluctantly taking a blow on the chin like a man of honour] doesn't compute where this man involved.

Edited by Year Zero

I celebrated last night with no burning resentment. I'm sorry, Oz for being a little obvious, but it's pretty obvious you wouldn't have posted your topic on the back of two defeats to Wigan and West Ham. Two wins on the bounce and your question pops up, that is why I was a bit sarcastic, I'm not suggesting you think two wins is enough to forgive him, (obviously), but you seem a bit quick to ask the question. Ashley will need to show me he cares about NUFC for a sustained period for me to even contemplate putting his crassness to one side. That much is obvious.

Yours

El Capitano Obvious

If someone bumps into you in a crowded bar, apologies circulate and everyone moves on not caring. Then the same bloke spills your beer all over the floor and you're starting to think this kid's a bit of an arsehole. But, willing to forgive and forget. Then he comes over and smashes you over the melt with a bottle of WKD and you then realise he is a complete bastard and shouldn't be trusted or given any time to right his wrongs.

Ashley and his bastardised product has done this to me.

This.

This.

In reality though, and this is testament to the man's character. The man is a reckless gambler who has refused to underwrite his own losses as well.

This is a pretty recent story. After England lost to the Croats in the European Cup qualifier he/SD tried weasel out of a contract by refusing to accept delivery [and thus not pay, i think it was Umbro - i can't remember if it was them, or Adidas after they bought out Umbro] of a bulk sized amount of replica shirts. Over 10 000 were to go Lillywhites alone. He simply got in early [before his competition did], ordered a massive quantity in bulk at a bulk/cut-price deal before England actually qualified. Basically it was his intention to saturate the market while savagely undercutting the oppositon.

His problem was [and he is a gambler] the fact they he failed to carry out due diligence, re: ordering up before the qualifiers had run their ourse. The gamble blew up in his face, and he was determined to not to bear any financial losses relating to his flawed judgment/gamble in this instance. He refused to take delivery [as mentioned] and Umbro threatened to sue for breach of contract, for which they had an iron clad case. Ashley [shite Direct] reluctantly took delivery, but still had the cheek to demand credit notes for each unit/replica that were to be eventually unsold.

The point being when in comes the ramifications of his poor business related decisions [where poor judgement is involved, thanks to a lack of due diligence] and the idea of accepting responsibility & accepting a financial loss [reluctantly taking a blow on the chin like a man of honour] doesn't compute where this man involved.

I dunno you'd characterise that as a 'failure to do due diligence' like. That's just a commercial gamble.

FWIW I imagine he doesn't ever do due diligence in his acquisitions. He probably can't see the benefit given the cost involved in doing due diligence checks only to be warned against a purchase. It wouldn't appeal to the gambler in him at all and tbf by and large the acquisitions he's made (I suspect without dd or with only the most cursory of checks) have made him an absolute fortune.

We are obviously the noteable exception.