The VAT increase and it's effect on YOU

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, the coffee shop at work have used it as an excuse to whack prices up by about 10% on everything.

Bottle of Coke has gone up from 75p to 90p in my works canteen, the fuckin' robbing bastards. I queried it this morning and the duck egg on the counter just pointed to the VAT increase sign and said 'it's gone up'. I tried to explain that 15p difference is more than 2.5% on 75p, she looked blank, the thick shit.

An ideal opportunity for small businesses to raise their prices. I hope everyone's questioning the prices when they are so clearly bumped up above 2.5%. :calmdown:

No-one that pays anything for gym membership should complain about cost of living.

What's wrong with 50 press ups and a run around the block?

We have just as much right to complain as anybody else.

And there's nowt wrong with 50 press ups and a run around the block if you just want to be moderately fit. Plenty wrong with it if you want to build muscle mass though. :calmdown:

Am I right in thinking it costs an extra £2.50 pence for every £100 I spend!!!!!

If thats what it takes to get us back on our feet then its a price worth paying.

We dont pay VAT on Food or Clothing so its not as bad as some might think.

Even when you use the home heating argument its still only an extra £25 quid on a thousand pounds worth of central heating.

Only kids clothing is VAT free.

....and the fact that food suppliers will be paying increased vat on stuff like fuel means they'll add it to the cost of food indirectly.

No, they will claim the VAT back surely as a business?

:calmdown:

...but....

"Food costs have risen 5.5 per cent over the past 12 months, outpacing the overall inflation rate of 3.3 per cent."

So VAT related or not...cost of living is rising above the rate of inflation.

Am I right in thinking it costs an extra £2.50 pence for every £100 I spend!!!!!

If thats what it takes to get us back on our feet then its a price worth paying.

We dont pay VAT on Food or Clothing so its not as bad as some might think.

Even when you use the home heating argument its still only an extra £25 quid on a thousand pounds worth of central heating.

Only kids clothing is VAT free.

....and the fact that food suppliers will be paying increased vat on stuff like fuel means they'll add it to the cost of food indirectly.

No, they will claim the VAT back surely as a business?

:calmdown:

...but....

"Food costs have risen 5.5 per cent over the past 12 months, outpacing the overall inflation rate of 3.3 per cent."

So VAT related or not...cost of living is rising above the rate of inflation.

Ah yeah I agree with that, just not about VAT being that big a deal (to the majority of people, course it will some but I don't think it's something that would drive us back into negative growth unless the media put the shits up everyone).

it seems their role in all this has been brushed under the carpet and it's the poorest who are paying the price (in proportion to their income that is).

Brushed under the carpet? I'm surprised the weather wasn't blamed on the Lloyds-HBOS merger.

The VAT rise is in line with other policies implemented to date- they are ideological trojan horses. The Tories do not give a toss about anyone who wouldn't vote for them and even less about those who don't even vote.

it seems their role in all this has been brushed under the carpet and it's the poorest who are paying the price (in proportion to their income that is).

Brushed under the carpet? I'm surprised the weather wasn't blamed on the Lloyds-HBOS merger.

The VAT rise is in line with other policies implemented to date- they are ideological trojan horses. The Tories do not give a toss about anyone who wouldn't vote for them and even less about those who don't even vote.

TBH Matt, yes. It was massive news but now it's a bit like it never happened and it was all really down to the 'bloated public sector'.

Have they signed into law any rules on banks liquidity yet?

Or are they saying there's no point until it's co-ordinated internationally....whiuch it never will be.

Basel II has been implemented through an EU directive hasn't it?

Have they signed into law any rules on banks liquidity yet?

Or are they saying there's no point until it's co-ordinated internationally....whiuch it never will be.

Basel II has been implemented through an EU directive hasn't it?

Yes. The requirements of it are weak as piss though.

Basel II is already in place. Basel III will kick in gradually up to about 2018. I guess it's a question of what is needed for stability against what is actually possible without massive sources of new capital.

As for the focus of attention- a lot of it is (IMO) down to what the mainstream media want to report on and how much of it is seen as 'old news'. It will all be back again in March when the govt in particular will have had enough of the coverage of the endless cuts.

Certainly in more finance-oriented publications, the attention on liquidity, capital requirements, pay and tax etc remains pretty intense.