The VAT increase and it's effect on YOU

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck all. Nowt that Id really notice anyway. Doing my head in all this end of the world hype over 2.5%.

But it's set to cost the average family £7.50 a week. ;)

It's fuck all really, though in theory it is a regressive tax.

Am I right in thinking it costs an extra £2.50 pence for every £100 I spend!!!!!

If thats what it takes to get us back on our feet then its a price worth paying.

We dont pay VAT on Food or Clothing so its not as bad as some might think.

Even when you use the home heating argument its still only an extra £25 quid on a thousand pounds worth of central heating.

Am I right in thinking it costs an extra £2.50 pence for every £100 I spend!!!!!

If thats what it takes to get us back on our feet then its a price worth paying.

Even when you use the home heating argument its still only an extra £25 quid on a thousand pounds worth of central heating.

Osborne said on the news "what do you prefer to go up, income tax" ?

eeerr, yes George.

This is a perfect excuse for the tories to head down a road they have wanted to go for years.

Anything but income tax, and slope as much as possible of it onto VAT

No you're wrong.

It will cost you an extra £2.13 (rounded up) per £100.

My workings

An item that currently costs £100 contains 17.5% VAT therefore the actual cost of the item £100/1.175 = £85.11

£85.11* 1.2 (20 percent VAT) = £102.13

No you're wrong.

My workings

An item that currently costs £100 contains 17.5% VAT therefore the actual cost of the item £100/1.175 = £85.11

So thats even better then ?

No you're wrong.

My workings

So thats even better then ?

If having less money than before the increase is better, then aye, loads better.

Only kids clothing is VAT free.

The VAT increase itself isn't pissing me off, it's how establishments are using it to take the piss with a price hike. We have one of them coffee bars at work and, up until yesterday, a large tea cost a quid. Now it's £1.10 and when quizzed they reckon the increase was to reflect the VAT increase only. Aye right.

My salary review was a fucking joke as well. 2.5% increase seems ok at first sight but when you consider it's the first increase in 3 years, it's below inflation AND my pension was re-aligned last year so that I'm paying more for less at the end of it.

Depressingly worked out earlier that I'm now taking home less than I was in 2006!

20 Lambert and Butler have gone to £6.15 in the shop next to mine from tomorrow. That's up 16p on what they were today. Heartbreaking to be honest. Beer. Bairns toys. Games. Clothes. Irn Bru's gone up a penny at graft so that's the biggest crime in all of this.

....and the fact that food suppliers will be paying increased vat on stuff like fuel means they'll add it to the cost of food indirectly.

The VAT increase itself isn't pissing me off, it's how establishments are using it to take the piss with a price hike. We have one of them coffee bars at work and, up until yesterday, a large tea cost a quid. Now it's £1.10 and when quizzed they reckon the increase was to reflect the VAT increase only. Aye right.

My salary review was a fucking joke as well. 2.5% increase seems ok at first sight but when you consider it's the first increase in 3 years, it's below inflation AND my pension was re-aligned last year so that I'm paying more for less at the end of it.

Depressingly worked out earlier that I'm now taking home less than I was in 2006!

This.

Fitness First tried putting my gym membership up £7.50 (which is about a 20% increase) blaming it on the VAT change. :calmdown:

Strangely enough when I went to cancel my membership they were able to do it for £6.00 cheaper than I was paying. Although I am now restricted to just my local gym whereas before I was able to use the London one during my lunch break, which in turn makes a complete mockery of their "use any of our 550 branches worldwide" bullshit spiel.

....and the fact that food suppliers will be paying increased vat on stuff like fuel means they'll add it to the cost of food indirectly.

No, they will claim the VAT back surely as a business?

No you're wrong.

My workings

Is the right answer. Or, for people who spend say £1000 a month on "stuff", it will cost you around another £21.

I agree that some companies are taking the piss and putting stuff up higher, but for each of those I reckon there is a company absorbing the increase and keeping prices the same (more likely on larger purchases like white goods).

I'm in the middle of renewing existing contracts and tendering for new work. All my clients are asking the same question- how much are you putting your prices up by because of the hike in VAT?

I've explained to them all that the very slight raise in our price is in response to the sky high price of fuel and our suppliers taking the piss in their prices.

Once our running costs are accounted for, our service cost is the same as it was , which has kept us all our existing work and (fingers crossed) seems to be winning us new work.

If he loses the gut he'll be alright then :calmdown:

Unless you're on the breadline, this will have very little impact on you. But for some poor twat trying to raise a family where incomings = outgoings, it's pretty disastrous. Which is precisely why it's a bit of a cunt's trick for the poor.

It's well known that indirect taxation affects the poor dispropotionately which is obviously why Tories like it so much - they can use spurious shit like "well maybe you shouldbn't be buying a plasma TV if you're that poor" which disregards both the direct increase in expenditure on things I mentioned as well as the passed on price rises due to increased costs.