Most overrated player ever ...

Mac-Toon

bryan robson - sicknote.

Couldn't stand him but I thought he was a fantastic player, both for Man Utd and England. He had the ability in the way Roy Keane did to turn the tide of a game when the chips were down and score important goals. Shame he was such a piss-head as he could've achieved even more.

good player but i used to hate all the captain marvel bullshit for england when he went home injured from every tournament and we played better without him.

Bad luck with injuries but, tbf, I think you could only say that happened in 1990 and who's to say we wouldn't have done better with him in the side? I seem to remember Bobby Robson saying we'd have won it with him in the team. 1986 was far more about Beardsley coming in for Hateley imo.

didn't the mighty steve hodge replace him?

anyway, we looked ordinary in the group games. only started looking good after robson was injured when we beat poland to progress then in the knock out round. i wouldn't say that was strictly down to his absence but we did well without him both in 86 and 90.

robson reminded me a lot of keegan in his playing days. he was all effort and determination - made a lot of his pretty limited natural ability through hard graft. i never thought he was technically that gifted and as such a tad over rated, especially as he was always injured for the big tournaments. he was unlucky not to play in that man u side that succeeded him.

Edited by Dr Gloom

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So hard these days because any sniff of form and a players ability is blown out of all proportion.

There should be plenty of contenders that have passed through our doors over the last 10 years.

Marcelino springs to mind because Im sure he came in a blaze of glory. Wasnt he out for three years with a broken finger or something.

Cant not like David Platt after Italia 90 and that goal and always loved Captain Marvel. Seemed to forever be popping that shoulder out.

I think Robson played every game in Spain in 1982 and in Germany 1988. He also got 90 caps and scored one in 4 from midfield.

Edited by alex

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
So hard these days because any sniff of form and a players ability is blown out of all proportion.

There should be plenty of contenders that have passed through our doors over the last 10 years.

Marcelino springs to mind because Im sure he came in a blaze of glory. Wasnt he out for three years with a broken finger or something.

Cant not like David Platt after Italia 90 and that goal and always loved Captain Marvel. Seemed to forever be popping that shoulder out.

Rated as Spain's hottest defensive property when we signed him.

To be honest everyone used to think Brian McClair was the bollocks I thought he was fuckin shite me.

I think Robson played every game in Spain in 1982 and in Germany 1988. He also got 90 caps and scored one in 4 from midfield.

His goal against Holland ;)

To be honest everyone used to think Brian McClair was the bollocks I thought he was fuckin shite me.

;) I thought he might've been Fergie's son. He always played him for some reason.

Btw, re: Marcelino, he was crucified for that injury but the club doctor wouldn't let him train. Not saying that he was suited to playing as a CB in PL like because he wasn't strong enough.

;) I thought he might've been Fergie's son. He always played him for some reason.

I know he got 29 goals one year, but he was still shite. The Man Utd fans used to say similar about Fletcher, reckoned he only got a contract, cos his mam used to babysit Darren Ferguson and SAFs other kids.

Edited by You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

A kid at college used to be a 'big Man Utd fan' and waxed lyrical about 'Choccy' all the time. Until I found out from another lad who went to his school that he only started liking them (and football ffs) the year they won the league for the first time in 26 years.

Lee Sharpe. pretty average player, found out when giggsy came to the fore.

Andy Sinton. play in the same sides as some good players and think you are billy big nuts, when you arent....

a current one. Glenn Johnson. still cannot defend for toffee.

McClair is a good call. Especially in his latter days.

I respected him for snotting rather than spitting though.

;) You don't see enough of that these days.

David Platt and Mark Hately for me - the money those two made out of football is obscene given their talent.

You can't argue with 27 goals from midfield for England 16 more than PB, and Gazza. Great career in Italy too.

Not being a great England fan, I suppose I never appreciated what he did for his country though agree he was a bit Nolan-esque in terms of "just" scoring. Having said that I can't knock his Italia 90 contribution.

It was all the transfers in Italy that really got me - just didn't see it.

Andy Sinton. play in the same sides as some good players and think you are billy big nuts, when you arent....a current one. Glenn Johnson. still cannot defend for toffee.

Went to my school. Got about 10 caps ffs.

Andy Sinton. play in the same sides as some good players and think you are billy big nuts, when you arent....

a current one. Glenn Johnson. still cannot defend for toffee.

I thought Lee Sharpe was absolute quality before his bad injury. Never the same player.

I never used to rate Merson that much but in hindsight he was probably quite good.

David Platt and Mark Hately for me - the money those two made out of football is obscene given their talent.

You can't argue with 27 goals from midfield for England 16 more than PB, and Gazza. Great career in Italy too.

Not being a great England fan, I suppose I never appreciated what he did for his country though agree he was a bit Nolan-esque in terms of "just" scoring. Having said that I can't knock his Italia 90 contribution.

He was a massive hit at Bari, fans loved him and in 12 month made a £2m profit when he went to Juventus. At Juve I forget who the manager was, might o been Lippi, he had him on the right of midfield for some reason, Platt wanted out and did excellent for Sampdoria with Gullit and Mancini.

He was a massive hit at Bari, fans loved him and in 12 month made a £2m profit when he went to Juventus. At Juve I forget who the manager was, might o been Lippi, he had him on the right of midfield for some reason, Platt wanted out and did excellent for Sampdoria with Gullit and Mancini.

'Trap' iirc

'Trap' iirc

Aye that's right it definitely was. I've got Platt's autobiography somewhere, or had. It's boring as fuck. When you read it you hear his boring monotone voice.

Who would you say is the most overrated player you've seen?

For me, it's got to be Ibrahimovic. I've never seen him have a good game, EVER.

From April 2010;

Barcelona striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic very nearly covered less ground than his own goalkeeper in midweek against Internazionale according to damning post-match performance statistics.

Barça have Leo Messi running on empty after 24 consecutive starts and are beginning to question Ibrahimovic's contribution after the mileage figures reinforced the impression that he was a passenger in the Champions League semi-final first leg.

While players such as Xavi Hernandez, Pedro and Gerard Pique covered every blade of grass in the San Siro, Ibrahimovic was immobile and ineffective until being replaced midway through the second half having run only 300m further than Victor Valdes.

The money he's commanded in transfer fees must be up there with the highest, I'd have thought. Absolutely shite.

most overrated player in the modern game, without a doubt.

Ray Wilkins was shite.

So was Tino Asprilla.

Actually saw Ibrahimovic play really well in the last Milan derby I saw. Worked hard and put himself about a bit. Which, if anything, just shows how much he takes the piss when things aren't going his way.

Who would you say is the most overrated player you've seen?

For me, it's got to be Ibrahimovic. I've never seen him have a good game, EVER.

From April 2010;

Barcelona striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic very nearly covered less ground than his own goalkeeper in midweek against Internazionale according to damning post-match performance statistics.

Barça have Leo Messi running on empty after 24 consecutive starts and are beginning to question Ibrahimovic's contribution after the mileage figures reinforced the impression that he was a passenger in the Champions League semi-final first leg.

While players such as Xavi Hernandez, Pedro and Gerard Pique covered every blade of grass in the San Siro, Ibrahimovic was immobile and ineffective until being replaced midway through the second half having run only 300m further than Victor Valdes.

The money he's commanded in transfer fees must be up there with the highest, I'd have thought. Absolutely shite.

That Italian player with the massive transfer fees in the 90's.

*I have often questioned the validity of Ibra's game. Tends to play well for Sweden (should really be playing for Bosnia).

Edited by Park Life

scholes strike rate similar, but in terms of ability, ginger nuts every time.

another one for you. franz carr. fast as the wind but no end product!

Think Fletcher is very average. Rooney is finished. Joe Cole has been shit for ages. The little argie that failed at Barca (Saviola?). Bojan is officially crap now. Could have added malouda but for one good season. Obi Mikel is really taking the piss with his strolling and sideways passing (70k a week).

Edited by Park Life

scholes strike rate similar, but in terms of ability, ginger nuts every time.

another one for you. franz carr. fast as the wind but no end product!

Not saying Robson was the best player ever or owt but I find it strange to see him mentioned in a list of most overrated players ever.